• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Alternatives to plastic buster collars?

What happened to poor Baby?

Either she bit half of her own tail off or she had her tail sticking out of the mesh of her cage and a rat climbed up and bit it or something :? But whenever it started to heal she'd chew at it :(

I have one of those soft collars from when my cat was at the vets. It was much more comfortable for him than the plastic ones (he still looked ridiculous :lol:), but I haven't tried it on a rabbit. It might be too difficult for a bun to grab hold of an edge to chew.

Frank is adorable :love: Hope he heals quickly xx

1947657_10152212576285772_1201506625_n.jpg

Sorry for the terrible quality but this shows where I've cut out space for her ears and smoothed it down. The bandage thing is tied around her neck and is then loosely tied to the left side of her harness because the cone kept twisting around to the right. You can also see that if she sticks her head out her mouth just comes out from the end of the cone so she can still eat, but not so far that she can reach around and chew on her wound. If the collar twists around though once you've cut the hole out for bun's ears they probably will be able to reach so don't cut it out until you find a way of stopping it twisting

I have a small plastic one that Adam gave me for one of the cats once. It has soft material beading round the neck and outer edge. Not sure if it will fit or not but you could try it if you want, or you could ring Woodford and see if they have anymore.

Yes that's the one, have you tried it already? not sure if it would be big enough to stop bunny getting to his wound though :?

This is Doughnut's when she came back from the vets, she hated it as you can tell by her grumpy face. She had trouble eating and drinking with it, I had to stack everything high up so she could reach it as anything low on the floor was hard for her.

DSCF1425_zps96ff588b.jpg

I think it's average size but she is so little they didn't have one to fit her. She only had to wear it for a day otherwise I would have cut it down a bit. She looked so cute though but I did feel sorry for her as I could see she was frustrated. At one point she had gone into her playpen through the arch I had cut in her hutch, she then got stuck there as couldn't get back with the collar. I had to squash it together so she could get back into the hutch and the lounge.

Back