• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Alternative to a ramp.

zarathustra

Warren Scout
So we got our new rescue bunnies Lola and Pip today from the RSPCA, and they won't use the ramp that connects their hutch to their run.

They're currently sat upstairs in their hutch, not even showing any interest in the ramp.

I've put a brick under the end of the ramp to make it a bit less steep but that hasn't had the desired effect

Does anyone have any idea about what we could do to replace the ramp with something a bit more large rabbit friendly if they won't use it?

We can't have them just living in their hutch, and we can't manually transfer them from the hutch to the run and back every day

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

So we got our new rescue bunnies Lola and Pip today from the RSPCA, and they won't use the ramp that connects their hutch to their run.

They're currently sat upstairs in their hutch, not even showing any interest in the ramp.

I've put a brick under the end of the ramp to make it a bit less steep but that hasn't had the desired effect

Does anyone have any idea about what we could do to replace the ramp with something a bit more large rabbit friendly if they won't use it?

We can't have them just living in their hutch, and we can't manually transfer them from the hutch to the run and back every day

How long have they been in it? Took my large buns a day to settle and use the ramp, they just got better and better at it [emoji38]

How long have they been in it? Took my large buns a day to settle and use the ramp, they just got better and better at it [emoji38]
Not too long, I'm just trying to get some ideas about what to do if they decide they never want to use the ramp.

They've been in there about 4ish hours, so have plenty of time to settle before we have to think about making drastic changes. They have water and hay and somewhere cosy and out of the wind

Steps are often easier than ramps as bunnies like to jump up on things - so a series of boxes, large plant pots, breeze blocks, etc may work. Raising the end of the ramp is a good idea. Putting some non-slip treads on may also help (eg thin strips of wood across the ramp, or carpet / doormat) so it feels more secure to go down.
I would leave it a week or so - 4 hours is barely any time. See if they can be tempted out with fresh green goodies (grass, dandelions, herbs, etc).

Thanks all, I guess I'm just being a bit over protective of them

If they're still up there in the morning I'll transport them down in their carry case, as they're both quite happy to hop in, then at least they will have the two runs and the tunnel for the whole day while we're at work, and they'll have time to work things out themselves

So they've been upstairs for about 6 hours but haven't made any attempt at using the ramp.

I'm not sure what to do in the morning if they haven't worked it out. I don't want to leave them trapped in the hutch, but if we put them downstairs they will have access to the run etc but if they don't work out how to go up the ramp then they'll but stuck downstairs with no access to their bedding area (which they've started using as a toilet so will need regular cleaning if they don't start going downstairs)

How long should we leave it before it becomes a problem? Or, how long should we leave it before writing the ramp off as a bad idea?

It shouldn't be too difficult to knock something up with some breeze blocks, just a quick trip to b&q

I think I'd give them a few days in all honesty. if they've never had a ramp before they're probably quite confused by the whole ordeal. Orion had never had a ramp so when he was given one, it took him a good few days to figure it out. you could also try tempting them by leaving tasty treats on the ramp or leading them down the ramp with a treat in front of their nose, it seems to be a pretty good motivator :lol: I helped Luna figure it out that way, as she wasn't sure neither.

they may also dislike it, but I think its still early days and a bit too early to tell?

what type of ramp is it? might also just need some adjustments to maybe make it more bunny friendly.

its only been a few hours so I'd give them their time :D

I've been thinking: our ramp rotted away at the top and we just replaced it with a brick underneath so they could jump up (it's not very high), but Lopsy was familiar with the hutch anyway so knew what to do. Aboleth's never used a ramp really, but some of the tunnels connecting the areas are pretty sloped, and would count as ramps. Keeps them fit!

We have a little Ramp in our bunny bothy. Boo (& when he arrived) n Rudey sussed it in seconds, Joey took days, mouse a few weeks (plus a nip on the bum from Boo)

TLC's stairs seem excellent solution if they don't get the idea soon

TLCs stairs won't work as they need to be attached to a solid wall.

Our hutch sits ontop of one of the runs so the back wall that they would attach to is mesh not solid wood

Putting sides on the ramp as well as making it less steep could encourage them to use it.

I think I saw a photo on your other thread, the rungs seemed to be really small. most hutch ramps have proper rungs on them, that really jut out. it can encourage them to walk up it as they have more grip behind them and something proper to push off of. along with that it seems to work better if you have felt or carpet on them as its far less slippy than just wood. so perhaps adding some bigger rungs, and carpet, might make it seem a little less daunting. I also echo what tulsi said, adding sides (if there is none) might encourage them too.

I had noticed last night that pip was slipping when going up the ramp, I will look at enhancing the rungs on the ladder, perhaps swapping it out for a wider ramp and adding higher sides

We also got new bunnies about a month ago, in a similar hutch - over - run set up, and had the identical problem. I considered trying a short stretch of runaround tunnel and ordered one, but while waiting for it to arrive, I set up a series of steps which they successfully managed to use, and now do so with speed! The first step is just a little plastic stepstool with a bit of carpet mat on top for grip. The second step is a large shelf designed to be used on wire mesh. I bought it in an online petshop. I think it might have been made more for bird use, but it does the job! My bunnies are 2. 5kg and it works just fine with their weight. My run has sturdy 16g weld mesh though so doesn't give at all. If you do try a step solution of some kind, it might be worth noting that the top step under the hole had to be really near the hole before they were willing to try jumping down. It almost doesn't look like there's space for them to squeeze through! We adjusted the height several times until we hit the perfect height. I'll see tomorrow if I can get a pic

We also got new bunnies about a month ago, in a similar hutch - over - run set up, and had the identical problem. I considered trying a short stretch of runaround tunnel and ordered one, but while waiting for it to arrive, I set up a series of steps which they successfully managed to use, and now do so with speed! The first step is just a little plastic stepstool with a bit of carpet mat on top for grip. The second step is a large shelf designed to be used on wire mesh. I bought it in an online petshop. I think it might have been made more for bird use, but it does the job! My bunnies are 2. 5kg and it works just fine with their weight. My run has sturdy 16g weld mesh though so doesn't give at all. If you do try a step solution of some kind, it might be worth noting that the top step under the hole had to be really near the hole before they were willing to try jumping down. It almost doesn't look like there's space for them to squeeze through! We adjusted the height several times until we hit the perfect height. I'll see tomorrow if I can get a pic

Hello, and welcome to the forum :wave: this is a good idea, it would be good to see a photo of your setup:thumb:

TLCs stairs won't work as they need to be attached to a solid wall.

Our hutch sits ontop of one of the runs so the back wall that they would attach to is mesh not solid wood

We also do free-standing hops:

https://www.hoppingmaduk.com/product-page/painted-hopping-mad-hop-and-hide

We use one for access to a hutch standing on top of a run. I've not yet met a rabbit that prefers a ramp to hops/stairs. Shortly we will be making an alternative design to the free standing hop, as well as a hay rack variety.

(Also, thanks to those recommending our stairs. :love: )

Thanks all, I'm on a mission to B&Q tomorrow for 10 Breeze blocks and some more normal bricks.

I don't think fashioning some steps will be too difficult, the run that the hutch sits ontop of is 2ft high, so about 3 bricks, I'll probably try and make the steps quite long, to give them more space on each step

My original estimations were wrong, I'd need about 20 breeze blocks.

The steps would be two bricks wide (43cm)
Each step would be 22cm deep
And there would be a 10cm drop between each step.
And the initial drop from the hutch to the top step would be just under a cm.

What do people think of those dimensions?

Back