• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Alby’s Snuffles

Albybun

New Kit
Hello,

I posted last week regarding my new bunny Alby & his respiratory issues. After a trip to the vet, it was confirmed he does indeed have an upper respiratory infection & I’ve been given a course of Baytril (2x daily for a week).

Safe to say, it wasn’t the easiest task to syringe feed to him, and he ended up wearing more of the first few doses rather than actually ingesting it! I’ve resorted to mashing it into banana which he seems to have fooled for, he even thinks he’s getting a little daily treat, licking the bowl clean! :) It’s a lot less stressful for the both of us.

Vet assured me his lungs sound fine & he’s gained weight so eating is fine (which I knew anyway, he’s always up for more food!). He also seems fine in himself, still binkying around the room & just generally getting into all sorts of mischief (he’s a bit of a handful, actually! :lol:). But symptoms are not clearing up at all. Still snoring/wheezing (especially when asleep) and he is beginning to get more discharge from his eyes now, too! :(

My question is: How long does it generally take for the antibiotics to kick in to start seeing some improvement? Bearing in mind he’s only had about 2 days of full doses? (The first 2 days don’t count, as I’m not quite sure how much of the doses he actually ingested rather than spitting out!).

At what point should I be contacting the vet again? Considering we’re entering the festive period.

Last edited:
Hello,

I posted last week regarding my new bunny Alby & his respiratory issues. After a trip to the vet, it was confirmed he does indeed have an upper respiratory infection & I’ve been given a course of Baytril (2x daily for a week).

Safe to say, it wasn’t the easiest task to syringe feed to him, and he ended up wearing more of the first few doses rather than actually ingesting it! I’ve resorted to mashing it into banana which he seems to have fooled for, he even thinks he’s getting a little daily treat, licking the bowl clean! :) It’s a lot less stressful for the both of us.

Vet assured me his lungs sound fine & he’s gained weight so eating is fine (which I knew anyway, he’s always up for more food!). He also seems fine in himself, still binkying around the room & just generally getting into all sorts of mischief (he’s a bit of a handful, actually! :lol:). But symptoms are not clearing up at all. Still snoring/wheezing (especially when asleep) and he is beginning to get more discharge from his eyes now, too! :(

My question is: How long does it generally take for the antibiotics to kick in to start seeing some improvement? Bearing in mind he’s only had about 2 days of full doses? (The first 2 days don’t count, as I’m not quite sure how much of the doses he actually ingested rather than spitting out!).

At what point should I be contacting the vet again? Considering we’re entering the festive period.

I'd give them a call on Monday. Sounds as though a nasolacrimal duct flush may be needed. Gunky eyes and URT symptoms often occur when the nasolacrimal duct is blocked.

I'd give them a call on Monday. Sounds as though a nasolacrimal duct flush may be needed. Gunky eyes and URT symptoms often occur when the nasolacrimal duct is blocked.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

So do you think the antibiotics would’ve kicked in by now & I would have started seeing improvements in symptoms already? The course is due to finish on Tuesday.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

So do you think the antibiotics would’ve kicked in by now & I would have started seeing improvements in symptoms already? The course is due to finish on Tuesday.

A week of abx is seldom long enough. Treatment needs to continue for a few days after clinical symptoms resolve. As he has not even had the full dose every day then the Vet will probably prescribe at least another 7-10 days treatment. As I said, a nasolacrimal duct flush may be needed too.

A week of abx is seldom long enough. Treatment needs to continue for a few days after clinical symptoms resolve. As he has not even had the full dose every day then the Vet will probably prescribe at least another 7-10 days treatment. As I said, a nasolacrimal duct flush may be needed too.

Thanks for the info!

I will contact them again tomorrow morning. I don’t want him to run out & not be able to get hold of any over Christmas. Is a nasolacrimal duct flush quite a straightforward procedure?

Two days of Baytril normally does not show improvement IMO. Vet would want full 7-10 days before considering a different abx.
My vet did duct flush without sedation-depends on the bunny and how easily it will flush.
Sending vibes.

Yes, some Vets will attempt to do it without sedating the Rabbit if the Rabbit is co-operative.

http://vetfolio-vetstreet.s3.amazon...9e50005056ad4736/file/PV1112_Pilny3_EE-PT.pdf

Thank you.

Not sure how co-operative Alby would be, he isn’t the most co-operative rabbit! And I would worry if he could even tolerate sedation right now with his breathing difficulties. :( He’s sounded particularly bad today, it just seems to be getting worse & I’m at a loss! I just want him to get better.

Two days of Baytril normally does not show improvement IMO. Vet would want full 7-10 days before considering a different abx.
My vet did duct flush without sedation-depends on the bunny and how easily it will flush.
Sending vibes.

Thanks for your reply.

Will speak to the vet about getting more antibiotics. His breathing has been worse than ever today & I’m just so concerned about him. He’s looking very grubby because the nasal discharge is spreading all over his face, and under his chin. I’m trying to wipe him clean but it’s a very tricky task with him squirming, and it’s so thick it won’t budge! :(

Back