• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

agression problem

karenstraw

New Kit
I got two female rabbits, naively thinking they would live together happily. One started bullying the other, and they are now separated. The aggressive one has now started to bite any human that goes near her. She also seems to growl. I've been told/read that having her spayed might help, what do you suggest? she is about 6 months old. I'm torn about what to do as i don't want to put her through this op if it won't make any difference to her behaviour?

YOur description is of hormonal behaviour :)

Spaying will reduce this a lot, then you can rebond them post-spay :) They will be much happier after that., not being controlled by hormones n all!

id neuter both while you may solve the agression issues for one if you try to bond with a young unneutered bun, the unneutered one will more likely become either agressive or over dominate the other to annoying point that could cause major fights

I neuter both at the same time

find a rabbit savy vet quite often the youngest they will spay a doe s is 5 month due to tiny parts weight and size

not to mention dramatically reducing the risk of cervical cancer

I agree with spaying both of them, at the same time.

We can't guarantee it wil solve all the problems, but generally it eases the hormonal behaviour, and also it eradicates the very high risk of the hormonal cancers, so it has a lot of positives to it, even if the behaviour doesn't change.

Once they are recovered they could hopefully be rebonded.

thanx

thanx for the replies. Do you guys think that the spaying will help with the aggression towards the humans too? and taking her to the vets, you dont think that will make her hate me more?

thanx for the replies. Do you guys think that the spaying will help with the aggression towards the humans too? and taking her to the vets, you dont think that will make her hate me more?

Spaying should help with the aggression. She's hormonal and is protecting her territory. You enter her territory to clean and feed etc and she's telling you to 'push off' in no uncertain terms. Once she's spayed and doesn't feel the need to protect, she should be much calmer and friendly. But definitely get them both spayed or you'll still have one hormonal bunny with all the same problems.

Sorry to ask a Q on someone elses thread...

But if a rabbit is left entire but is bred from, do they still show the same aggression issues as those that are not?

Back