• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Afraid to stop antibiotics.

Haystack

New Kit
Hi everyone.
I've been reading this site for years, but never signed up because I never felt like I had much to contribute. Today I am humbly asking for your help. Apologies for the long post, but I'm trying to paint a complete picture to make it easier for someone to help.

Spots is my old, smallish New Zealand. He's generally healthy, but has a sensitive tummy. I love him to the moon and back. A few weeks ago he suddenly stopped eating completely. The things we normally do for him (pain medicine & critical care) did not help. He looked uncomfortable, and was leaving stinky goo in the litterbox. We contacted the vet immediately.

Our vet is NOT rabbit savvy. :( Since I live in Podunk USA, he's the best we've got. He doesn't see many bunnies, and does not recognize or know how to deal with bunny emergencies. I told the vet we needed antibiotics, and he prescribed 7 days of sulfa/trimethoprim. (Not enough!) I was a fool and didn't double check the prescription. Later I learned that a standard course is 10-14 days. We finished the 7 days of sulfa, his appetite improved, and his poops looked normal again.

The scary part:
Five days after we finished the sulfa, the disease came back with a vengeance. Not just his appetite, his whole body just shut down. It was the scariest day of my life. I sped to the vet and got a prescription for Baytril. Spots took it, and 2 hours later (!) he has hopping again.

Now my best friend has been on Baytril for a little over a week. He is doing well, but the Baytril does decrease his appetite and make him sleepy. We hand feed him about half his meals. Normally that would be scary, but I'm pretty sure it's just the medicine slowing him down, because as each dose wears off he starts to act normally and eat on his own again. The frustrating thing is that just as he really perks up, it's about time for his next dose.

I want him to get back to normal, but am terrified to quit too soon and put his life in danger again. I somehow got /a lot/ of Baytril, and could keep giving it for months if I had to.

The big question:
Does anyone have any idea how long I should keep giving him Baytril to be certain that these tummy germs are gone? I have no idea, and unfortunately apparently neither does our vet. I've read everything from 5 days to 30. I know that some people here have gone much longer than that too. I would love some scientific way to know or prove that it's safe. Maybe just what to tell the vet.

We do have probiotics. Spots has high quality pellets with probiotics in them, and a jar of probiotic powder specifically for bunnies.

First of all, I am very glad that you joined the forum, we would like to see you among us all the time. I wish I was knowledgeable about this and could help you, but unfortunately I am not. But I believe you will get the help you want in the forum. Get well soon.

Was the ‘stinky goo’ from his urinary tract or from his gastrointestinal tract ? Did the Vet examine your Rabbit ?

How long a course of antibiotic treatment is needed depends on the condition being treated.

Baytril might cause a reduced appetite, but not drowsiness.

Thank you for your replies.
The stinky goo was from his gi tract. There were also normal poops, but at times of day when he should be making and eating cecotropes everything that came out had the consistency of toothpaste. Also there was gas noise. My best guess is that something he ate had the germs in it, which is frustrating because we're of course very careful about what he eats, proper proportions and washing the greens.

The vet did examine him, but honestly was not very helpful. We were frustrated. I remember the vet examining his teeth, feeling Spots' belly for obstructions and not seeing any problems. I wish I had a rabbit savvy vet.

I should clarify about Spots' behavior. He is eating less on his own, so spends a lot of time sitting around when he would be grazing and eating hay. When I walk into the room he will still run up to play, so maybe 'sleepy' was the wrong word.

Thank you for asking those questions. This means the world to me.
I know that care from a good vet would be best, but we're trying to do the best we can for him with what we have.

Is he on pain relief? A bunny in pain will be lethargic and not want to eat.
Rabbits hide pain and with such a large digestive system, tummy pain usually requires meds.

Is there a reason vet switched to baytril instead of doing more sulfa?
How long was spots taking abx after he was better?
We do 10 days min for abx, yet have done longer for some conditions.
Sending vibes.

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice. He was on pain relief for the first few days. With Spots, we have a few clues to know how he's feeling. When his tummy hurts he will sit more delicately, with his ears straight up. When he knows we're bringing his favorite greens he will stand up to get them. If he doesn't that means he's uncomfortable. As far as we can tell, his tummy isn't bothering him now, but we are watching closely. He does look like he's being lazy because he's not grazing all day like normal, probably because of the baytril changing his appetite.

He had been better for three days when the sulfa ran out, which I guess isn't enough for tummy germs. The vet seemed to think that baytril would be stronger? I don't know any more than that.

Thank you again.

Back