• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advise needed on my gorgeous buddy's sudden passing :(

Hi.
I wondered if you could shed some light on my situation. Even if just to help me find an an answer.

My rabbit stopped eating his pellets Monday night. I discovered this Tuesday night and gave him some fresh veggies and hay which he didn't eat. Took him to the vets yesterday and they gave him an anti-inflamatory and a hunger enhancer. They gave me some hunger enhancer to take home and a critical care sachet to feed him throughout the day. I gave him his critical care sachet throughout the day and his hunger enhancer in the evening. We got him out of his hutch to give him some sachet and put him on the grass to encourage him then eat when all of a sudden he couldn't stand up and he went all wobbly. My mum picked him up and put him on the table and he did it again. We rushed him inside and rang the emergency vet but it was too late. He passed over to rainbow bridge. My mum said she could feel his heart thumping very hard when she was holding him. The vet said that he had no hard mass in his stomach and he had pellets in there.
I feel like the world's worst pet owner as I'd slacked on his hay for about 2 weeks but I had let him out quite regularly on the grass. I just feel that I am to blame for his death!

There's alot of inconclusiveness with the vets. They didn't weigh him or take his temperature which I thought was very weird. And also this morning when I took him to the vets to get him cremated. I noticed blood had come out of either his bottom or pens.

But from them saying there was no hard mass in his stomach and that there were healthy pellets I assume that his death was not due to not having hay. Or due to starvation. He had eaten his nuggets the day before!

He had all of his vaccinations and had been neutured. When he had his neuturing the vet filled down his spurs in his mouth. This was in May. The vet yesterday said that she could see a little bit of a sharp point but she wasn't sure if it'd cause him to stop eating all of a sudden.

I'm ripping my hair out and in complete turmoil over the sudden death of my beloved buddy and i miss him so much and it only happened yesterday. I just feel so awful. And I just need some help or advise as to what happened? Or what I did wrong? Or what went wrong?
2fc81586300f4f8333a911d48e957410.jpg
Binky free in rainbow bridge my gorgeous boy. You've left us in pieces but we will hold you and love you forever dear to our hearts xxxxxxxxxxxx

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

I am so sorry you have lost Buddy. These things do happen at times and we really can't be sure why.

I am sorry for you lovely little bunny. Don't feel guilty for anything. You took him to the vet, he had all love and care and medecines.. These things happens unfortunately, sudden death RIP little bunny

Thank you. I just worry the lack of hay killed him? But I tell myself I'm being stupid. Trying to find something or someone to blame. It was just a huge shock. I lost 3 buns last year due to snuffles but I was prepared. This i wasn't and I miss him so so so much 😢

So sorry about your loss :'( it sounds like you did everything right for your bunny you loved just GI stasis can be nasty, try not to blame yourself x

Thank you. I just need to try and find some peace in it all and struggling at the minute. Sorry to hear of your loss bunny boo. It is really hard....xx

Thank you. I just worry the lack of hay killed him? But I tell myself I'm being stupid. Trying to find something or someone to blame. It was just a huge shock. I lost 3 buns last year due to snuffles but I was prepared. This i wasn't and I miss him so so so much 😢

Yes it's tremendously hard and I'm so sorry you lost your little one. He was truly a gorgeous looking bunny :love:

I want to reassure you that it was not the lack of hay that killed him. Really it was not. There was, by the sounds of everything you've said, something going on inside him that you didn't know about and the vet couldn't find out about until it was too late.

It's a very normal thing to blame ourselves, and a part of our grieving process. That said, I still feel guilty for a rabbit that passed away under the vet's care years ago, who I feel was rather neglected. So for me, I never seem to get rid of the guilty feelings. They just come by less often.

Please accept that feeling you must blame yourself is completely normal, but it's entirely misguided. You cannot expect yourself to be God and know everything, can you? But we all do, don't we?

Post on here, and in Rainbow Bridge, as often as you want, and with as many photos as you wish. We will be here to support you.

May I say also, I hope you don't mind, that you should think about how experienced your vet is with rabbits, maybe? You do need someone who is extremely knowledgeable and who can support you in a crisis, and not wonder themselves what to do.

Big Hug for you :love:

When you lose a pet suddenly, it is hard to not go back in time and question everything. Did I miss something? Could I have somehow caused the situation? Maybe if I did ___, he/she would still be around?
Only good bunny parents torture themselves with these questions. Unfortunately, sometimes you just do not know why a cherished member of your family is gone.
Sometimes even the professionals are unable to diagnose/cure problems.
Sending my condolances on the loss of your beloved pet.

Back