• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advise needed ! Can you take a look at my setup (Pictures now added)

Hi

I have recently brought my 2 rabbits a shed to live in ... its 6ft by 10ft and they also have a 6ft by 3ft run attached.

I know its not the biggest run and i could have gone bigger but i didnt have any more room

Well my question in... about the inside...
I am just starting to insulate it ... Iv brought a massive roll of bubble wrap what is best and cheepest thing to put over it ? is ply wood ok ??

Also they currently live in a wooden hutch/hide that hubby made but its (rubbish) although it does the job the top is made of wood and they jump ontop and do the odd poo and pee and its ruining it as its not wipe clean and it looks a mess. should i keep this setup as hubby made it and its quite roomy 6ft by 2ft but its not raised off the floor ? should i be ?? to keep them warmer??

or should i buy them a small hutch to sleep in? the only problem is money is now tight and iv kinda run out the most i can stretch to for a hutch is £30 as so far its cost me a fortune...i know its small but it would never be shut up just there bedroom to keep cosy ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230699947013?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

please any advise on how to improve my setup would be greatly welcome i feel iv come to a sticky holt :(
pictures added they may help...

30200962.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
50584578.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
40010671.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Why not get Lino and cover where they are weeing, then it is wipe clean!

That sounds like a great size - what lucky bunnies! :thumb:

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a hutch now they're indoors. A large cardboard box filled with straw will do just fine. Re insulation, I don't have that in mine but plywood over bubblewrap is usually how it's done I believe. If you have windows you could curtain them at night, and you could carpet the floor too for extra warmth too - you could get an old rug off ebay for next to nothing. Are your buns littertrained?

ETA: I really should read posts before I reply! I gather your OH made a sort of hutch, but at floor level? That should be fine so long as it's not directly in a draught, like opposite their door. Make sure it's lined with lots of lovely thick straw and maybe a snugglesafe or 2 at night - they'll be snug as bugs in a rug. I'm not sure what to suggest about the peeing on top thing, except you could put a littertray up on there.

Last edited:
Mine is insulated and then plywood over it ;) I've also painted it with bathroom paint and it's wipe clean . For the top of the hutch is the wood removable ? If so , just get a cheap waterproof tablecloth and staple it to it ! Works wonders :) I've lino-ed my shed and I also have an off cut of carpet for warmth . The Lino should warm the floor up more than just on its own , although you wanna make sure the shed floor has dried out fully before you lay it or you might get rot :) x x

Hi

Mine isn't a shed - it's an 8x4 hutch but I scoured Ebay for some sort of hidey box to put inside. Eventually I hit on the idea of old blanket boxes/ottomans because they have a lid so easy to clean out.

I managed to get one locally. I cut out a hole in the front for an entrance, strengthened the base with some extra plywood, sawed off the castors and it's done. :)

P.S. I made sure the box has a couple of inches underneath. If yours hasn't, you could just get your hubby to nail some wood runners/legs underneath to elevate it slightly. Or even a couple of bricks or something under it at each end?

Last edited:
when i got my shed i put my hutch inside and just took the doors off the bottom (2 tier hutch) i blocked off the top half to use for storage. my hutch is only about an inch off the floor, i put carpet tiles and then fleecy blankets on top and they do sit in there sometimes. i think yours have plenty of room with the run.

you set up looks great, lucky bunnies!

my hutch..
extendedrun005.jpg

i attatched a double run but have plenty of room
extendedrun012.jpg

No advice really, I just wanted to say, I have the same shed as you :wave: Yours looks great, especially with the attached run!

Back