• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice Please :( U/D Poo Pics

Mr has had a good helping of critical care just now..he went mad for it again wish he did it for hay.

He has also had some mushed up pellets too.

Just wait to see his poos now

Seems ok in himself quite quiet but is moving around fine

Yes you can give him his meds in with the critical care, I'd give them in a fairly small amount so he licks up every bit.

You dont have much choice at the moment obviously, but when he is better I'd think about reducing those pellets, 25-30 of ones SS size seems a bit too much, how many grams is that? Reducing them slowly may encourage him to eat hay. Have you tried readigrass and fresh grass?

Yes you can give him his meds in with the critical care, I'd give them in a fairly small amount so he licks up every bit.

You dont have much choice at the moment obviously, but when he is better I'd think about reducing those pellets, 25-30 of ones SS size seems a bit too much, how many grams is that? Reducing them slowly may encourage him to eat hay. Have you tried readigrass and fresh grass?

Have purchased some readigrass for them before he didn't really seem interested in it.

Hopefully once he comes round and is himself again I'm going to start hand feeding him and wilma so I can tell who is eating what. He lost weight, she gained it.....me think someone has been a bit of a greedy girl

Hmmm yes handfeeding would be a good idea. How odd that he wont eat hay at all - I take it you've tried baled hay, a sample pack from the hay experts and hay from hayforpets? Has he always been like this? Have you ever had his teeth checked under GA?

If he wont eat it, you could put him on higher fibre pellets to ensure he is at least getting more fibre in his diet to help his gut, Supreme's Fibafirst and Oxbow's Bunny Basics are both 30% I think. You could also try a diet largely made up of forage, 'forage' plants that you've grown yourself (dandies, plantain etc), herbs and fibrous veg in order to compensate part way towards the lack of hay - like Thumps did with first Thumper and now Benji.

Hmmm yes handfeeding would be a good idea. How odd that he wont eat hay at all - I take it you've tried baled hay, a sample pack from the hay experts and hay from hayforpets? Has he always been like this? Have you ever had his teeth checked under GA?

If he wont eat it, you could put him on higher fibre pellets to ensure he is at least getting more fibre in his diet to help his gut, Supreme's Fibafirst and Oxbow's Bunny Basics are both 30% I think. You could also try a diet largely made up of forage, 'forage' plants that you've grown yourself (dandies, plantain etc), herbs and fibrous veg in order to compensate part way towards the lack of hay - like Thumps did with first Thumper and now Benji.

Wecfoundchim on gumtree with a girl did the usual no hay mixed food.

Have tried all the hay4pets, lots of different hay brands and types, tried hiding/crushing his food into a box of hay. You named it we have tried it.

He had 2 spurs done 3/4montgs ago under GA and the check on Friday couldn't see any problems

Is readigrass similar to grass or is that a silly question. Doughnut loves green grass and I want to get her something that is similar to it in the winter when it's too cold for her to go out as she's an indoor bunny with no winter coat! Also is readigrass fattening, I read it was high in calories.

It's sort of a middle ground between grass and hay. I think it's high in calcium.

Mr this morning has left very similar squidgy droppings.....not unformed ceacs but just like really soft brown poos. Wilmas are nice and big and a brown/gold tint.

Have you tried him with bramble leaves, they are really good for digestion and runny poo too and high in fibre. I give Doughnut a handful every day. She has that and an egg cup of SS pellets and a few sprigs of dill. That way she eats lots of hay. I used to give her more pellets but she ate less hay and she doesn't get veg or fruit as gets a runny tum.

Is readigrass similar to grass or is that a silly question. Doughnut loves green grass and I want to get her something that is similar to it in the winter when it's too cold for her to go out as she's an indoor bunny with no winter coat! Also is readigrass fattening, I read it was high in calories.

There are a number of 'grass substitutes' usually aimed for horses. Readigrass is quite high in calories as it has added elements. I buy graze-on for my sheep, haven't tried it with the buns yet but will do, and it doesn't have any additives so is better for them. I would still limit the quantity and of course introduce it slowly. The plus side of buying stuff for horses as opposed to rabbits is cost - something similar in a small pack at my local pet store is about £4, for an entire sack for graze-on is about £9.

Thanks for that, I'll have a look.

When it's raining and I get home in the evening or it's too cold, I pick grass for Doughnut, she loves it but obviously in the winter it won't be growing. Be nice to get her something that's healthy too as I've noticed she is full of even more energy since I've let her outside!

I'd give the vets a ring, talk to your usual rabbit vet, and tell him about the new poops and ask if he wants you to bring Mr in.

Just wnated to give an update on Mr....

Yesterday evening was brilliant he seemed back to his normal cheeky self, rushing around, into everything, begging when we cooked dinner, flopped out with Wilma (they had been at separate ends of the flat for a few days).....and

The little monkey jumped up and stole a strawberry of my other half and went running around with it hanging out his mouth.

He also tucked into pellets and we saw him do it for the first time since last Thursday.

No idea what was wrong with him but he seems great now

Just wnated to give an update on Mr....

Yesterday evening was brilliant he seemed back to his normal cheeky self, rushing around, into everything, begging when we cooked dinner, flopped out with Wilma (they had been at separate ends of the flat for a few days).....and

The little monkey jumped up and stole a strawberry of my other half and went running around with it hanging out his mouth.

He also tucked into pellets and we saw him do it for the first time since last Thursday.

No idea what was wrong with him but he seems great now

Thats great :) He had a gut slowdown, its just trying to figure out what caused it that is the issue. Is he still on pain relief?

For the future, the best thing you can do is keep his gut in tip top shape, so it is less likely to happen.

I know all on RU love a poop picture...

b3d4075b.jpg

Mr is the smaller of the two. They aren't as dark as they look but a quite dark.

Wilmas are normally much bigger and brown

I'm glad Mr's poo is back to 'normal' still think thy could be better though :(

Glad he is feeling better now! Not sure what to suggest on the hay side of things as it sounds like you've tried a few ideas already :(

Glad his poos are back to normal! I'd try him on Fibafirst if you can, Supreme told me its an ideal food for those that cant/wont eat hay as it is meant to wear down the teeth more than normal pellets and obviously its more fibre too for their tums.

Back