• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

advice please.. U/D 10/12 :(

Sending you some positive vibes for tomorrow

Just so you know, my vet has often told me that giving higher medicam dosages for more than a short term can have an adverse impact on critical organs. In my own experience, I have found the Medicam lasts more than 12 hours and less than 24 hours. My vet approves of my giving a lower dosage twice a day instead of a higher dose once a day. Since the dosage is lower when given ever 12 hours instead of every 24 hours it is not the same as giving a double dosage.

thank you guys! she's been admitted and they will be doing bloodwork too so its going to be a bit more expensive, but they're very happy to do a payment plan so I'll make it work some how. they want to check that this isn't an illness or disease causing this.

I don't necessarily want to up the dose - I want her to have the dose split so she gets some pain relief of an evening. once it comes to the evening she's in really bad pain again and that's due to the metacam wearing off. it breaks my heart :( I mean I do think it is a little bit too low but that's not the big issue, its the deflation of the evening.

I'll have to call them at 2:30pm to see how she's doing, and discharge will be from 4-6pm.

I know she is in good hands as she received some terrible care when I had her spayed. they let her out without her eating and didn't even think to give her some critical care so she went into stasis. they have her carrier in the pen too.

so much anxiety :(

thank you guys! she's been admitted and they will be doing bloodwork too so its going to be a bit more expensive, but they're very happy to do a payment plan so I'll make it work some how. they want to check that this isn't an illness or disease causing this.

I don't necessarily want to up the dose - I want her to have the dose split so she gets some pain relief of an evening. once it comes to the evening she's in really bad pain again and that's due to the metacam wearing off. it breaks my heart :( I mean I do think it is a little bit too low but that's not the big issue, its the deflation of the evening.

I'll have to call them at 2:30pm to see how she's doing, and discharge will be from 4-6pm.

I know she is in good hands as she received some terrible care when I had her spayed. they let her out without her eating and didn't even think to give her some critical care so she went into stasis. they have her carrier in the pen too.

so much anxiety :(

Sending you peaceful vibes xx

I came home and napped as I was exhausted so sorry for the late update!

they didn't have to sedate her as she laid completely still for them. they told me that they weren't as clear as if she had been sedated, so I expected them to be blurry. they looked very clear to me but I have no knowledge in this type of thing!!

first of all, her legs are (mostly) in the clear. no spinal issues from the looks of it and everything connects nicely. however, her left hip is slightly shallow in her socket. that's also the leg that is causing her pain, so we'll need to keep an eye on that. its not extremely bad such as going to pop out of her socket, its not "normal" either.

bloods came back fine and everything is functioning normally which is very good to hear.

the main, and biggest issue right now, is that her stomach is very full. all bunnies have some fur and straw in their stomach to help digest but Luna's is abnormal, likely due to her intestine being a bit sluggish for some reason. there isn't a blockage nor is it stasis, just all this roughage has built up for some reason. so we have a gut stimulant and another pain killer. along with that we need to make sure that her water intake is increased to help clear the roughage in her stomach so it has less chance of getting stuck.

she has to continue with the metacam and has
buprecare virals (every 8 hours for the first two days, then down to 12) - 0.25ml
cisapride (I think its 2 or 3 times a day?) - 0.2ml

heres to hoping this sorts her out because I'm completely broke!!

they didn't have to sedate her as she laid completely still for them. they told me that they weren't as clear as if she had been sedated, so I expected them to be blurry. they looked very clear to me but I have no knowledge in this type of thing!!

first of all, her legs are (mostly) in the clear. no spinal issues from the looks of it and everything connects nicely. however, her left hip is slightly shallow in her socket. that's also the leg that is causing her pain, so we'll need to keep an eye on that. its not extremely bad such as going to pop out of her socket, its not "normal" either.

bloods came back fine and everything is functioning normally which is very good to hear.

the main, and biggest issue right now, is that her stomach is very full. all bunnies have some fur and straw in their stomach to help digest but Luna's is abnormal, likely due to her intestine being a bit sluggish for some reason. there isn't a blockage nor is it stasis, just all this roughage has built up for some reason. so we have a gut stimulant and another pain killer. along with that we need to make sure that her water intake is increased to help clear the roughage in her stomach so it has less chance of getting stuck.

buprecare virals (every 8 hours for the first two days, then down to 12) - 0.25ml

I hope that the treatment will be of benefit to Luna. Did the Vet warn you that one of the drugs that she has been prescribed, the Buprecare, may make her very, very drowsy ? Buprecare is 'Buprenorphine' an opiate and all opiate type drugs can cause significant sedation. So dont panic if Luna seems very out of it. You may need to keep encouraging her to eat as if she does remain very drowsy she may not bother to do so for herself.

Hopefully the Vet will have given her some IV fluids too as this would be useful :)

I am glad she didn't have to have a GA :thumb:

I really hope that the cisapride helps to sort out her gut motility issues. I have to say I was surprised that the vet gave you buprenorphine (buprecare) as this can cause drowsiness. It won't affect the working of the cisapride, but it *may* have an effect on her wanting to eat and generally moving around.

How is she?

yes she did say that it might make her a bit drowsy, that's why she prescribed a lower dose. so far I haven't seen Luna being affected by it. yesterday after she came home she pretty much slept (full flop eyes shut no movement), but I feel like that's after everything that happened. I was exhausted and I didn't have to deal with the x-rays etc!!

she's not eating as much hay as I would have liked so I'm going to scatter dried herbs in to make it more interesting. I think she's just feeling a bit sorry for herself but I'm trying to keep her busy. she's still interested in pets and running around though which is good. I'd also guess perhaps guess that if her stomach is very full she might not be feeling as hungry? no idea though.

the vet didn't do an IV however they did syringe feed water into her to up her intake and has advised I continue to do that. along with putting a little squash in her water so it tastes nice and encourages her to drink.

today she has been good and running around. suddenly this evening her ears went frozen! her tummy was moving but her ears felt like ice. I pulled her under my covers and snuggled her for a while and she warmed up. after that she went right back to grumpy digging on the blanket. not entirely sure what happened.

she's improving just a little bit, just hoping it stays that way.

yes she did say that it might make her a bit drowsy, that's why she prescribed a lower dose. so far I haven't seen Luna being affected by it. yesterday after she came home she pretty much slept (full flop eyes shut no movement), but I feel like that's after everything that happened. I was exhausted and I didn't have to deal with the x-rays etc!!

she's not eating as much hay as I would have liked so I'm going to scatter dried herbs in to make it more interesting. I think she's just feeling a bit sorry for herself but I'm trying to keep her busy. she's still interested in pets and running around though which is good. I'd also guess perhaps guess that if her stomach is very full she might not be feeling as hungry? no idea though.

the vet didn't do an IV however they did syringe feed water into her to up her intake and has advised I continue to do that. along with putting a little squash in her water so it tastes nice and encourages her to drink.

today she has been good and running around. suddenly this evening her ears went frozen! her tummy was moving but her ears felt like ice. I pulled her under my covers and snuggled her for a while and she warmed up. after that she went right back to grumpy digging on the blanket. not entirely sure what happened.

I'm glad she has improved a bit :)

I know a member here put strawberry Ribena in the water to flavour it, and it went down a treat :D I tend to whizz up a piece of apple with water if I need that sort of thing.

Good luck with Luna this evening x

I am glad to hear that Luna appears to be doing a bit better. There are a few things you could do to encourage her to up her water intake. Firstly, does she use a bowl or a sipper bottle ? Rabbits tend to drink a lot more from a bowl than a bottle.

Many of my Rabbits will drink a lot more if Avipro Plus is added to their water :

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Vetark_Avipro_Plus/c1441/

Inspector Morse used to love Apple Juice mixed in with his water and Elyse loved very watery Vegetable puree Baby food (YUK !!)

Does Luna have fresh Veg/herbs ? They too would add to her water intake.

Looking forward to my morning update BC :)

good morning!! Luna woke me up at 5 by smashing her toy against the cage to let me know she ran out of hay :lol: overnight she seems to have really picked up as she ate all of the hay in her hay manger (bunny one from P@H). I don't put the lid on it either for ease so its probably slightly more than it should hold.

Luna has had a bowl for a long time as after Snoopy passed, she never seem to be able to find the bottle. often getting frustrated bumping along the bars so at that point I knew it was time for a bowl. she has one that clips onto the side of the cage as no matter what if there is one on the floor she tips it over!! even ones intended for great danes.

I have used vetark before but only their proC probiotic.. it helped improve Snoopy and they always seemed to love it so much so that Luna would drink out of his bowl over hers. I'll have to see if I can get a hold of it. right now I'm very reluctant to spend any money until Luna has no more vet appointments because have just enough for one more vet visit without having to borrow money from others...

I'll see what Luna enjoys, I'll make sure its only a little bit. I know she's liked licking my bottles with blackcurrant in so maybe that's a place to start.
I must say watered down baby puree sounds very disgusting.. bunnies and their strange taste buds I suppose!

Luna gets fresh coriander, basil, mint, rocket, romaine lettuce(one leaf every week), spring greens, parsley, broccoli(small piece once a week) and carrot tops. obviously not all in one night! I tend to rotate on what I can buy from the market as its cheaper so one week it might be mint, rocket and spring greens, another it might be coriander, basil and parsley etc. I do try to expand what she likes which as been a struggle since she only used to eat coriander at one point.

I've given her the medication this morning, but still she is doing her grumpy not wanting to come out and not as active as she was. I let her out and she still doesn't come out as quickly and mostly lies down in my room. I give her the run of upstairs and she hasn't left my room yet. I'd usually expect her to run out and into the bathroom, try to eat the bath, run back, on my bed, off my bed, try to escape to downstairs etc. she just isn't her usual naughty self. Luna hasn't attacked the pellet box either so she must be feeling bad!!

I have her out in the living room and she's just hiding under the table. I'm going to see if I can drag her out and keep her in between the couches. the table is like her hiding spot, and you know she's not feeling herself when she only hides under there and gets extremely aggressive if you go under it to get her.

I can see small improvements though, like her intake of hay as very much increased and she now gets excited when her pellet, fresh hay or night time herbs are coming, something she hasn't done in a while. I've also had a few binkies last night! I've not seen one since this all started.

perhaps its just going to be a slow recovery. as long as she makes tiny improvements I don't mind.

edit: well its just taken me 10 minutes, much growling and running, biting and scratching to get her out of the table!! :shock:
now that ordeal is over and she's in between the couches shes actually moving around and eating hay.

Last edited:
so everything has been going well until this evening :cry:

Luna had her vet appointment on Friday and the vet was very happy, Luna has been improving and was back to her usual self (almost). still a tad subdued but eating a load of hay and running around, even a few binkies now and then. her tummy was soft and doughy compared to the first time when it was quite hard, I didn't have any concerns and her metacam/pain relief stopped on 5th. the vet told me to take Luna off of the cisapride too.

however, we did speak about her hip joint and she does have arthritis as our vet consulted everybody else for opinions. she also does favour her right hip over her left hip, and her left back leg turns outwards. since she had been doing so well, we weren't going to put her on metacam full time. however we have large 30ml bottle spare should she go downhill and need it.

and then this evening......this all came crashing down.

it took her a very long time to respond and come running from the rattle of the treat box. after that she just went under my desk and just didn't move, along with that her ears were frozen. her tummy had very few gurgling noises. I gave her 1ml of infacol and some tummy massages and she seemed to perk up. while cleaning out her cage my boyfriend watched her and Luna was munching on some hay.

I wanted to give her some metacam either way as my mind went to pain = no movement = stomach slowdown. I didn't know how much she had eaten either so I mixed up 15ml critical care with some probiotic in it, and gave her 10ml of water.

it started around 4pm, its almost 7pm now and no improvement.

this is all so stressful. I thought this was the "end" so to speak and everything was going to be okay from here on for a little while. I have no money at this point. I can't even think.

add on: I also forgot to say that her sore hocks on her right foot (her favoured foot) are of course getting much worse too.. she has also been peeing outside of her litter tray which is very unusual and I have had some wet bottoms so I guess she's weeing herself.

[update 8:52pm] she producing output but I haven't seen her with much output. Luna is very much favouring lying on the floor over doing anything, although she has been chasing her pellet ball. I have to keep picking her up and annoying her to get her to move or anything. I've given her more infacol too.

I've also just had to clean her bottom as it was wet, a little butt bath that went terribly to say the least and ended me very wet.

Last edited:
I'm not able to offer much advice but I wanted to send support vibes to you and Luna. Did you give her some metacam? ,Has she improved anymore?

I’m sorry to hear this about Luna :( I hope she starts picking up and feeling better, sending vibes xx

Did the tablets I sent help at all?

so everything has been going well until this evening :cry:

Luna had her vet appointment on Friday and the vet was very happy, Luna has been improving and was back to her usual self (almost). still a tad subdued but eating a load of hay and running around, even a few binkies now and then. her tummy was soft and doughy compared to the first time when it was quite hard, I didn't have any concerns and her metacam/pain relief stopped on 5th. the vet told me to take Luna off of the cisapride too.

however, we did speak about her hip joint and she does have arthritis as our vet consulted everybody else for opinions. she also does favour her right hip over her left hip, and her left back leg turns outwards. since she had been doing so well, we weren't going to put her on metacam full time. however we have large 30ml bottle spare should she go downhill and need it.

and then this evening......this all came crashing down.

it took her a very long time to respond and come running from the rattle of the treat box. after that she just went under my desk and just didn't move, along with that her ears were frozen. her tummy had very few gurgling noises. I gave her 1ml of infacol and some tummy massages and she seemed to perk up. while cleaning out her cage my boyfriend watched her and Luna was munching on some hay.

I wanted to give her some metacam either way as my mind went to pain = no movement = stomach slowdown. I didn't know how much she had eaten either so I mixed up 15ml critical care with some probiotic in it, and gave her 10ml of water.

it started around 4pm, its almost 7pm now and no improvement.

this is all so stressful. I thought this was the "end" so to speak and everything was going to be okay from here on for a little while. I have no money at this point. I can't even think.

add on: I also forgot to say that her sore hocks on her right foot (her favoured foot) are of course getting much worse too.. she has also been peeing outside of her litter tray which is very unusual and I have had some wet bottoms so I guess she's weeing herself.

[update 8:52pm] she producing output but I haven't seen her with much output. Luna is very much favouring lying on the floor over doing anything, although she has been chasing her pellet ball. I have to keep picking her up and annoying her to get her to move or anything. I've given her more infacol too.

I've also just had to clean her bottom as it was wet, a little butt bath that went terribly to say the least and ended me very wet.

BC i am so sorry, I was out last night and didn't spot your update when I came in .

I'm glad you've at least had *some* output.

When you say she was wet, do you mean with urine? Could she perhaps have a urinary tract infection? You can purchase dipsticks cheaply yourself to test the urine at home if you think this might be contributing to the problem.

How's she doing now?

Back