• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice please Tilly sleeping more than usual UPDATE HELP

maisydaisystar

Alpha Buck
I have noticed over the past couple of weeks that Tilly is sleeping more than she used to, She sleeps relaxed layed out on her side , but lately seems to be in very deep sleep,and looks dead, normally if i go close to her hutch she would shoot up quick, but these last few weeks she isn't even aware i am there, the other day she was so deep in sleep i thought she had died, i even got as far as stroking her before she woke and ran from me. Yesterday her eyes were moving like she was dreaming.
I re homed her a few years ago, and we do not know how old she is, so she could be an elderly bun, she is bonded with 2 male rabbits, they all get on fine and they all spend alot of their day sleeping together, Do you think it could be because she is elderly? maybe they are all so active during the night and early morning she needs more sleep than the boys do???? Milo is 3 and Marley is only 1. She seems to be eating and drinking normally, and had her jabs and check up a few weeks back.
Any advice would be great,

Last edited:
Please Please can anyone advise, My husband just came rushing in saying Tilly is dead, when I get out to the hutch she indeed looked dead, until i noticed her breathing, she was in such a deep sleep it took her ages to wake up, hubby even knocked on the hutch and that didn't rouse her, she didn't wake until i touched her. Any idea what's going on?????

When she does wake up how does she behave?

Our female sleeps very deeply and has quite pronounced REM sleep, face and ears and tail twitching and paws too as if she is running.
Is she eating and pooping as normal?

we don't know how old she is as she was a rescue bun, she could be going deaf i suppose,but she usually sleeps with her eyes open and alert, this is quite a new thing that she sleeps in a deep sleep, She seems ok when awake, maybe not so active at the moment, although I just went out to give her some of her favourite food parsley and she only ate one bit, before allowing Milo to eat the rest, she was eating fine yesterday, it can't be Gut Statis can it??
Marley recently joined her and Milo, and I wondered if the boys are so active at night it is wearing her out.????? i really don't know

I would try and get her apart from the boys just to check she is not off her food, try giving her some of her favorite foods to see.
If she is then it could well be GI Statis and she will need to see a vet this evening.

I just checked her over, she hates being handled and she was still up for a chase, she seemed fine, I thought about seperating her from the boys, but i am worried about re introducing her, so how long can her keep her away from them before worrying about jeopardising their bond? Should i try and feed her some mushed up pellets on the safe side? and some water???i just put some of her favourite foods in the run and she only nibbled at it, I have never had this problem before so don't really know how to deal with it.

she is munching on her favourite food right now, parsnip,she wasn't tempted by anything else though, so i am still not sure whats going on with her?????? baffled?????

At least she's eating something :)

Has she had her teeth checked recently? If she's not eating like normal she may have a tooth problem.

Might be worth a general check up with the vet anyway, especially if she's sleeping so much. But at least if she's eating something you don't have to pay Bank Holiday rates :D

yes her teeth were checked a couple of weeks ago when she had her boosters,

She didn't have those on the same day did she?

If she is off her food completely and not passing any droppings then she needs to see a vet tonight. If you can keep her eating and drinking - offer some wet leaves, or syringe some food/fluids or tempt her with softened pellets, grated carrot etc then you might be able to keep her going til the morning and I would recommend she sees a vet first thing.

no jabs 2 weeks apart, she is eating her dried food now?????
So I am guessing it's not statis at all????
I will ask in a new post if older rabbits sleep more, maybe thats what it is?

Back