• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice please. I want to order from Hay Experts, but confused on what food to buy.

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
Hi was hoping for some advise please. I was made aware of The Hay Experts yesterday. What a saving on carefresh and chinchilla sanbath.

However, confused on what rabbit food and hay to buy. I was interested in the SS for mature bunnies and wondered what your thoughts are.

I have excel at the moment and some left over muesli ( I dont intend to buy again). Fussy bunnies not keen at all on the excel.

Hay too, as I used to buy basic hay from Sainsburys or the pet shop.

I don't buy treats, but they get greens, the odd carrot, piece of apple, kale and the outer leaves of sweetheart cabbage and celery.

Any advice much appreciated.

Also saw a triangle run with its own flooring to tunnel in and dig and scratch about in, any thoughts on these too. My bunnies not to keen on laminate flooring. Cheers.

I personally like SS, the normal one, not the mature one. I have tried the mature one mixed in for the lops but I got told they don't need that for a few years yet. Excel apparently has a tendency to cause excess cecals and I have one bunny who has a tendency to excess cecals anyway so I have never tried that one. Whatever you go to though you need to change gradually.

I personally like SS, the normal one, not the mature one. I have tried the mature one mixed in for the lops but I got told they don't need that for a few years yet. Excel apparently has a tendency to cause excess cecals and I have one bunny who has a tendency to excess cecals anyway so I have never tried that one. Whatever you go to though you need to change gradually.

have to learn so much here, what is cecals ?

My bunnies are 5 and my old man who I adore is 7 or 8.

have to learn so much here, what is cecals ?

My bunnies are 5 and my old man who I adore is 7 or 8.

Cecals are a specific type of poo that they eat straight from their bums. It's their way of basically 'chewing the cud', like cows do, to make it go through their system twice to get the most nutrients from it.

Sometimes they get excess ones when the digestive bacteria in their gut gets out of balance, eg. too much sugar in the diet, antibiotics or in Mini's case if the wind is blowing from the wrong direction :roll: no, only kidding, it tends to be when she moults that she gets excess ones. Moulting can be quite a strain on their little systems.

Cecals are a specific type of poo that they eat straight from their bums. It's their way of basically 'chewing the cud', like cows do, to make it go through their system twice to get the most nutrients from it.

Sorry I just dont know technical words for many processes. I did know they ate their own poo due to the nutrients. I guess I have alot more words to know and recognise.
That may explain why I have seen a small amount in the litter tray from my new bunny. Taking it very slowly with her.
Thanks so much for your help.

Sorry I just dont know technical words for many processes. I did know they ate their own poo due to the nutrients. I guess I have alot more words to know and recognise.
That may explain why I have seen a small amount in the litter tray from my new bunny. Taking it very slowly with her.
Thanks so much for your help.

Ah, yeah I think the posh name is cecotrophs but we tend to say cecals or special poos. :lol:

:wave: I'm new to the hayexperts too. I place my first order at the weekend & have received an email today to say it's been despatched & will be delivered tomorrow :D

I ordered some Megazorb, some SS pellets, some dried herbs & a hay sample pack.

I usually baled meadow hay, but ordered a sample pack out of curiosity to see if there is specific hay they particularly like that I can mix in with their usual hay to add a bit of variety.

I will let you know how the buns like their new treats & bedding :D

Hello Barn Yard Bunnies

As you are only in Sunbury, why not come along on Saturday 19th to the rabbity event that I am going to be at? Lisa who owns/runs The Hay Experts will be there as well as the rest of us motley lot. It's in Bagshot just along the M3 at Junction 3.

Link to the thread is here http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=270152&highlight=surrey%2Fhants%2Fberks

It would be nice to meet you and you can have a chat to Lisa in person about all things foody for buns.

Helen

Back