• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on whether to change from SS to Allen & Page?

Foofy

Alpha Buck
Hi, My two buns are both currently fed on SS pellets. I have been reading on the forum that the price of the SS has gone up a lot. I have ordered a 10KG bag from my pet shop which I have to collect on Tuesday I am expecting to have to pay more than the usual £18.35 for it.

I am therefore thinking about swapping over to Allen and Page. One of my rabbits is quite fat and I have to watch what she eats so she doesn't put on weight and if she is fed too many pellets she gets a sticky bum. She has small amount of SS morning & evening plus greens and hay and does much better on this than the Excel she used to be on.
My other rabbit has severe dental disease (it's a long & complicated story) :and I would like him to put on a little more weight. He does well on SS and loves it and has quite a bit of it mixed with warm water as he finds this much easier to eat.

So the question is whether to change pellets or not? Can you get hold of Allen & Page in Hampshire anywhere or can you only order over the net? How much cheaper is it than SS? I have read it's higher fibre does it contain any sugar or not? as SS doesn't. Would Allen & Page suit my rabbits or not? All advice would be very much appreciated :wave:

Can you get hold of Allen & Page in Hampshire anywhere or can you only order over the net?

Have a look on their website http://www.allenandpage.co.uk/ anywhere that stocks their horse food can get hold of their rabbit food for you

How much cheaper is it than SS?

I pay 9.50 (which includes my delivery) for 20kg

I have read it's higher fibre does it contain any sugar or not?

It is one of the highest in Fibre (ive recycled my bag, so can tell you about sugar, but I would have thought not)

Would Allen & Page suit my rabbits or not?

Can't tell you that, but Charlie and Princess both love/d it, It is easy to mush down, so I would have thought you would have no problem there.

Thanks very much for your reply lottielouise.

I did look on the Allen & Page website and emailed them some questions. Had a really helpful email back today with the name and phone number of a local supplier of A & P products just got to see if they stock the rabbit pellets now.
They also sent me 2 attachments all about the 2 types of pellet they do the natural pellets and the grower/breeder pellets with the ingredients and %'s of fibre etc.

I may buy one to see if they like it or not as it's only around about £8-£9 for 20KG compared to 10KG of SS for over £18 half the price for double the amount!

I used to feed my 4 on A&P but recently changed to SS and the difference in the buns condition and behaviour is really obvious. Nibbler was losing weight on the A&P and even with a very generous portion of it, he was underweight. Since getting the SS he is a lot rounder and chunky like a mini lop should be, even on a small portion of SS.

Also Fozzie my senior bun has become like a spring chicken again! She is interested in things again, and more mobile. I can't put this down to anything other than the change to SS.

So, i think both feeds have their advantages, especially the higher % fibre in the A&P and its much cheaper, but as you say you have a dental bun who struggles with weight, then the A&P mightn't suit. You could try it out, just to see, but i think if it ain't broke, then don't fix it!

i tried to do this recently but found that while they eat the A&P they didnt go quite as mad for them ....being soft i decided to stick with the SS as it seemed to be their favorite!

So, i think both feeds have their advantages, especially the higher % fibre in the A&P and its much cheaper, but as you say you have a dental bun who struggles with weight, then the A&P mightn't suit. You could try it out, just to see, but i think if it ain't broke, then don't fix it!

Thanks for the advice Mad Bunster, think the A&P may be OK for my bun Honey who is inclined to have the over weight problem but maybe not for the other Smudge who has the dental problems. I really don't want him to start losing weight again:(
At least I have now found a local supplier who sells rabbit food etc and their Megazorb is a bit cheaper too, so am going to go along and have a look round at the weekend, I am sure I will be going home with some treats for the buns if not the A&P.
Another good thing was when I picked up my 10KG bag of SS yesterday which my pet shop order in for me the price hadn't gone up. I was half expecting it to be a few more £'s this time from what I have been reading here on the forum.:)

Back