• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on what to do about destructive bunnies please

Katex

Warren Scout
Daisy and Gatsby are now 5 months old and both have been neutered a few weeks ago. Neutering went incredibly well, they hardly noticed and are sweet, friendly bunnies.

Except.....

they are INCREDIBLY destructive. They gnaw/bite/destroy everything they come into contact with outside their house. As soon as I let them into the run they dig uncontrollably in the garden, leaving ridiculous HUGE pits within minutes. They destroy the fence around their run (thankfully I have fronted the fence with some willow fencing which is easily replaced but even so...... and they couldn't chew through the fence as it's double sided with a middle bit). They chew chairs, decking and the railway sleeper in their run. But the worst bit is the digging - my garden is covered with pits! They seem to dig a hole, then push the earth they've piled up around the grass and then roll in it. And the speed at which they are able to ruin something is amazing!

They have LOADS of toys, both in their house and in the run/on the grass, which they aren't in the least bit interested in. They don't chew their chew toys/wooden blocks and don't chew or destroy the walls of their house, but they do dig at the carpet tiles and I've had to replace a few of those as they've scratched through them. They have several levels in the house and within the run and aren't cooped up all day, in fact they largely free range between 7am and 9pm unless I'm going out for a while (in which case they get put back in their house - it's large with a run). They actually HAVE a digging pit which they use occasionally but it's nowhere near as attractive as stuff they aren't supposed to be destroying!

They spend huge amounts of time lolling around but when they aren't lolling they are destroying! I was wondering if they are bored but I can't possibly see how they are bored tbh, as they have loads of toys/levels/lots of space/each other/human company.

Having said all that, when they dig a hole then turn around and flop into it with a satisfied smug smile on their face, it IS quite amusing. Until I see my garden covered with muddy holes........

Is this hormonal behaviour do you think?

Teenagers :D Just doing what they do unfortunately. I'd forgotten just how bad young buns can be as mine were a lot older, then after adopting 2 little girls and rescuing a baby boy I was forcibly reminded as they have destroyed everything they can, carpets, bedding,skirting :roll:
Sorry not much help I know. Can't help laughing at the picture you've painted of them digging and then lying there looking smug :D

Teenagers :D Just doing what they do unfortunately. I'd forgotten just how bad young buns can be as mine were a lot older, then after adopting 2 little girls and rescuing a baby boy I was forcibly reminded as they have destroyed everything they can, carpets, bedding,skirting :roll:
Sorry not much help I know. Can't help laughing at the picture you've painted of them digging and then lying there looking smug :D
Well at least it's just teenage behaviour - and it will pass...... but still :roll: :roll:

I've just bought them another tunnel today. They haven't been through it yet, but I know they like it as....they've chewed it :)

They really are smug. They dig frantically and then actually turn round and look at the kitchen window for a reaction as they flop into the hole.

Teenager phase? I guess that means Fiver is still going through this even though he is nearly 7! :lol:

Ssshh! I didn't want to scare her by saying not all buns calm down :lol: I know Jasmine and Harvey haven't but they are 1 yr old and I'm still hoping :lol:

Aaarghhhh!!!! *runs for the hills* 7 years?!?!?!?!?!?

I've taken the run off the grass and they're now confined to their main enclosure (still huge) which is on decking. The grass (holes) looks horrendous :lol:

It's a good thing they're sweet.......

Ssshh! I didn't want to scare her by saying not all buns calm down :lol: I know Jasmine and Harvey haven't but they are 1 yr old and I'm still hoping :lol:

*Cough* Oh yes, I'm sorry! I mean Fiver hasn't chewed by bed, carpet, door, vet bed, towels...he also didn't get into my drawers the other day and shred some t-shirts. He is a good boy...honestly! :lol:

But..Fiver is an exceptional bunny..

Back