• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on best/most popular treats

Kat_Mac

New Kit
Hi,

does ayone have any suggestions for the best treats to give rabbits? Is there anything that seems to be particularly popular with rabbits? And is there anything I should avoid?

Thanks!

Avoid shop-bought treats for rabbits: mostly packed with sugar. Herbs, dried plantain etc I find the best. But then I don't think mine need treats - they are thoroughly spoiled anyway with lots of good veg, hay etc.

Avoid shop-bought treats for rabbits: mostly packed with sugar. Herbs, dried plantain etc I find the best. But then I don't think mine need treats - they are thoroughly spoiled anyway with lots of good veg, hay etc.

Yes, a bunch of herbs, coriander/dill/parsley is quite enough for my lot :D

I make them (for fun, I know they don't need them). Powdered nuggets, dried hawthorn (at the mo), echinacea, fenugreek powder with a little grated pear / carrot / mashed banana - just enough fruit to combine them. Then dehydrate . My bunnies are super greedy but these are their ultimate favourite (& after an afternoon of stuffing their face on the garden, the only food I can tempt them in with :lol:)

Some shop rabbit treats are decidedly iffy - egg, sugar, fats :shock:

Lots of people talk on the forum of fenugreek crunchies ...seem very popular. I haven't tried them myself

I make them (for fun, I know they don't need them). Powdered nuggets, dried hawthorn (at the mo), echinacea, fenugreek powder with a little grated pear / carrot / mashed banana - just enough fruit to combine them. Then dehydrate . My bunnies are super greedy but these are their ultimate favourite (& after an afternoon of stuffing their face on the garden, the only food I can tempt them in with :lol:)

Some shop rabbit treats are decidedly iffy - egg, sugar, fats :shock:

Lots of people talk on the forum of fenugreek crunchies ...seem very popular. I haven't tried them myself

& nor have my rabbits:lol:

Scrappy, I keep trying to google whats in them...do you have ingredients to hand pretty please? One site suggested corn & fenugreek, another all sorts of wonderful stuff but that might be the whole range

My guys like fenugreek crunchies, but they don't get them very often :lol:

Mostly I just give them veg or herbs or forage or something and they love all that so much I think that is enough of a treat. I do occasionally make my own treats very similar to the ones mentioned above but I find mashed banana or even a fruit purée baby food is much easier to combine the dry bits!

I give Crash mostly veggies, he gets grass and hay all day, he does like some treats can buy for buns but he doesnt get excited for them like he does for veg... he gets so excited his butt and fur jiggles with enthusiasm... Its pretty hilarious.. Theres always dried herbs and flowers and things, i know they hay experts do them as i get samples whenever i buy from them....

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/edibles/herbs-treats-by-the-hay-experts.html

Crash loves them...

I give Crash mostly veggies, he gets grass and hay all day, he does like some treats can buy for buns but he doesnt get excited for them like he does for veg... he gets so excited his butt and fur jiggles with enthusiasm... Its pretty hilarious.. Theres always dried herbs and flowers and things, i know they hay experts do them as i get samples whenever i buy from them....

Crash loves them...

thank you :)
what kind of veggie do you find he gets most excited for?
I've got some very nervous rabbits and want to try and get them more comfortable with handling so anything that is really super tasty would be great :)

Crash loves them...

thank you :)
what kind of veggie do you find he gets most excited for?
I've got some very nervous rabbits and want to try and get them more comfortable with handling so anything that is really super tasty would be great :)

He goes nuts for curly kale, broccoli, bell peppers, carrot, spring greens, herbs ( i use corriander and parsley that i grow ). I dont give him much carrot at all because its not good for teeth, he gets the cuttings from when i have carrot in my dinner, the left overs. remember that whatever veg you give a tiny bit at a time or one at a time incase upsets tummy. Crash is well used to them now and has never had a tummy upset. When i give the veggies i keep the food in my hand so comes to me and i gradullay stroke as eats, gets used to it. Now he is so cuddly and soft hes like a puppy.

I also go those grass mats you can get, the willow balls and sticks, hes getting snipped friday next so hes frustrated, helps with chewing. I also use those treat balls you put dry food in,for dogs, they roll it around for the food. he loves them and i put his pellets (he has very few pellets) in those and a bucket full of hay, all mixed up to forage inside.

I get a few shop brought things - e.g. burgess herb mix (my girls go mad for this)
Just check the ingredients for things like leek, milk, egg etc. If it has anything like that not suited to rabbits don't buy it.

Ive seen a lot of the treats from places like home bargains, wilkinsons, B&M's etc have egg in, or milk, or puffed corn/wheat/stuff .. i always check for those things too, i dont get them if theyre chock full of honey either.

Just thought, another good treat is compressed hay blocks, alfalfa ones are especially yummy. just remember theyre a treat not substitute for loose hay, doesnt wear the teeth down like loose hay does.

Last edited:
Back