• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on 14 day old kits

Bugs&Beau

New Kit
Hi, I’m fairly new to owning rabbits and our 2 girls turned out to be a boy and girl, (the boy has now been neutered) we now have 6 baby rabbits, all seem to be doing well. They have started to come out of the nest and can’t get back in, so I’ll be removing the nest later and making them a bed in a corner of the hutch. They live outside in a double height hutch and run, now they are moving around, what do I do with them to keep them safe? Should I bring the babies and Mum into an indoor hutch to keep safe? Or keep all the rabbits including Mum and dad shut in the hutch so the babies can’t fall out into the run and get lost? Also one baby has its head tilted to the side, I will call the vet and ask about it later but wondered if anyone new much about it?
Thanks

Just a couple of things -
Mum may well be pregnant again. Rabbits can concieve straight after birth. Dad will have been fertile for several weeks after neutering. So be prepared for Litter 2.
Do they have space other than the hutch combo?
Mum will need neutering when the babies have stopped needing her. Females have a very high incidence of uterine cancer if they are left intact, plus her behaviour will be hormonally driven (ie grumpy).

Others on here will be able to give further advice on the babies, etc. Good luck.

Is Dad still with Mum ? If so she is very likely to be about to kindle a second litter. As Shimmer pointed out Bucks can remain fertile for 6-8 weeks AFTER castration.

Do not move the nest, remove the Buck from the accommodation and house him completely separately.If the Doe does have a second litter and the Buck is still with her there will still be a risk that he is still fertile and he will impregnate her for the third time.

I assume the nest is in the upper level of the hutch ? If so then you need to block off the ramp in such a way that Mum can get up and down but the kits cannot do so.

Are both adults fully vaccinated ? The Kits can be done from 5 weeks of age. Vaccination is essential as RHD is claiming the lives of hundreds of Pet Rabbits and vaccination is the only way to protect them.

The Kits should be eating the same food as Mum now and drinking water independently. If litter 2 does arrive soon then Litter 1 will need to be separated from Mum and Litter 2. Otherwise Litter 1 will keep trying to suckle and with Litter 2 to feed as well Mum will become exhausted and she might turn on Litter 1 to stop them hassling her for feeds.

Did the Adults come from Pets at Home ? They are notorious for mis -sexing Rabbits. If they did come from P@H contact them and ask for help with the supply of accommodation, food and vaccination costs for all Kits who are born as a result of P@H incompetence.

Thank you both for your advice.
Both parents are fully vaccinated. I got the rabbits from someone who also had an accidental litter, they were sexed at Vets4pets when they had their vaccinations, who told me they were both definitely girls. The boy was neutered as soon as I noticed, about 5 weeks ago.
He is still currently with the doe, he is a very placid, sweet little boy...so I’d kept them all together as didn’t think he would be aggressive towards the babies.

The babies are on the lower level of the hutch, as they haven’t yet left their nest (washing up bowl) they haven’t started eating or drinking independently, I will make sure to leave food and water near them today. One was out of the nest when I checked on them this morning, so will transfer the nest out of the washing up bowl today and into a shallow box? So they can start to move around more.
Have just been worried that if they are able to move around more they will start to come out of the hutch and into the run without being able to get back in.

Thank you both for your advice.
Both parents are fully vaccinated. I got the rabbits from someone who also had an accidental litter, they were sexed at Vets4pets when they had their vaccinations, who told me they were both definitely girls. The boy was neutered as soon as I noticed, about 5 weeks ago.
He is still currently with the doe, he is a very placid, sweet little boy...so I’d kept them all together as didn’t think he would be aggressive towards the babies.

The babies are on the lower level of the hutch, as they haven’t yet left their nest (washing up bowl) they haven’t started eating or drinking independently, I will make sure to leave food and water near them today. One was out of the nest when I checked on them this morning, so will transfer the nest out of the washing up bowl today and into a shallow box? So they can start to move around more.
Have just been worried that if they are able to move around more they will start to come out of the hutch and into the run without being able to get back in.

please be prepared for a second litter if the Buck was never removed from the Doe. Did the Vet who castrated him not inform you that he will remain fertile for 6-8 weeks after his op' ?

Are you certain that the Kits are not eating independently ? At 4 weeks they definitely should be.

You can transfer the nesting material into a cardboard box with a side cut out. Remove any wet nest but keep as much of the unsoiled material as possible.

I was informed by the vet that he could still be fertile until 4 weeks after. But they advised keeping them together as it was likely she was already pregnant and would cause more upset separating them and then putting them back together again.
The kits are 14 days, so 2 weeks old. Sorry for the misunderstanding there.
Thank you for your advice, so much more helpful than just googling every question I have and getting lots of different advice back!

Can they eat rabbit nuggets or should I be putting something else out for them to eat?

They can have the same food as Mum is eating. Sorry I was mistaken re their age. If Mum is pregnant again then she will deliver the second litter about 32 days after conception.

Are you feeding Mum extra portions ? She will need extra pellets. If she is used to eating veg then dark leafy greens can promote milk production. The kits can have a nibble at veg, but don’t let them gorge on it straight away . It is a myth to say that kits cannot have veg. It is fine as long as they are introduced to them whilst they are still with their Mum. Avoid feeding carrots, parsnips and fruit though. The high sugar content could set off GI tract problems.

As others have said, dad needs to be separated from mum even if they're bonded as he may well have impregnated her again (you may be lucky and he hasn't but better late than never!). It may be worth looking up any rescues in your area just in case mum is pregnant as you could very soon find yourself overwhelmed with babies.

Once all the babies are independent and mum can be neutered, you should be able to try re-bonding with the male once her hormones have calmed down. Unfortunately he may be on his own for a while until you know either way about whether mum is pregnant and until the babies are able to go to New homes.

I hope it all goes well!

Thank you both.
I have moved Dad, close enough so they can still see each other but so he can’t get to her.
Have also moved babies into a shallower nest and left some food out for them to nibble on. Mum has been eating extra since having the kits plus lots of kale.
Spoke to the vet about the kit with the tilted head and have been advised to worm them all with panacur, so will do that today and see if that helps 🤞

Back