• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice needed snake on the lose

The length of a snake has little relevance to its potential danger. The Australian Inland Taipan is the most venomous snake in the world yet only grows to a length of 1.5 meters. The majority of snake bites occur when people, or more often dogs and cats attempt to handled or attack the snake. Constrictors present a different set of problems and would be more dangerous to a bunny than an elapid.

All our buns are kept indoors because we have Copperhead snakes in our area. They are the 11th most venomous in the world but are largely very shy and present little risk if left alone. The biggest risk to bunnies might well be their curiosity getting them into trouble or response to fear. Personally, I am much more concerned about foxes than snakes.

This is one that visited our patio last year, it is a Copperhead (Austrelaps ramsayi) and about 1 meter long.

DSCF0652CR.jpg

The length of a snake has little relevance to its potential danger. The Australian Inland Taipan is the most venomous snake in the world yet only grows to a length of 1.5 meters. The majority of snake bites occur when people, or more often dogs and cats attempt to handled or attack the snake. Constrictors present a different set of problems and would be more dangerous to a bunny than an elapid.

All our buns are kept indoors because we have Copperhead snakes in our area. They are the 11th most venomous in the world but are largely very shy and present little risk if left alone. The biggest risk to bunnies might well be their curiosity getting them into trouble or response to fear. Personally, I am much more concerned about foxes than snakes.

This is one that visited our patio last year, it is a Copperhead (Austrelaps ramsayi) and about 1 meter long.

DSCF0652CR.jpg

Now THAT would be a scary visitor!!!!

Jazzy, your BRBs are beautiful. I used to have one called Kez, had to give him up sadly, my dad is phobic, just about got away with Sarah, my cornsnake :(

6ft is quite small for a BCC/BCI so I wouldn't worry toooo much, he is unlikely to be fully grown and i doubt he is up to eating rabbits, especially live ones!

I hope he is found soon though, for everyone's sake! :)

Now THAT would be a scary visitor!!!!

Jazzy, your BRBs are beautiful. I used to have one called Kez, had to give him up sadly, my dad is phobic, just about got away with Sarah, my cornsnake :(

they are not ours in those pics they were taken at the rfuk reptile night in york basically we go to the pub and take our reptiles to play with lol
these are our snakes they are corn snakes
dexter
feedingdexter019.jpg

feedingdexter020.jpg

rose
rose.jpg

advice needed snake on the loose

OMG:shock:they are horrible:shock:never mind locking up the bunnies i need to lock myself up now:oops:i am so scared of snakes:roll:just seeing a pic of one makes me shiver in terror:oops:sorry i don,t mean to upset you snake lovers but i really am scared of them:oops:can we have some nice bunny pics please:)

sorry not answered the replays as been working all day just home..Well snakes not been found yet ..its a American rock python ..just a baby they say
as for my rabbits well I have 15 here at the moment ranging for a small netheri ( sorry spells ****) to a very large 7kg french lop ..I not worried about my 6 frenchies as I am sure it cant eat them but the rest I am locking up in there shed unlessI am home till its found ...Its been missinf sonce Monday night its owner chapped my door last night asking if he could check my garden incase it had came here smelling the rabbits, :? I am not scared of them myself my ex used to have a 12 footer but Im not sure of them around the rabbits

There was a snake on the lose near to me last year.. I added extra mesh to the rabbit hutches and runs just to be safe. It was missing for ages and I didnt let anyone open windows or doors!!

It was found about two months later in the garage next door to where it went missing sos didnt wander too far from home and just curled up somewhere dark and cool.

Hope this one is found soon!

we had a 4ft boa constrictor/python loose a week or so ago....we couldnt let buns or cats in garden and had to shut windows n doors as it had been fed live prey. the housing association say they were told it was caught....hope so! down the orad theres one so big it cant be tanked and free roams round the guys flat apparently:shock: least theyd see that slither past!!!:lol:

i am not scared of snakes like i am of spiders..but its a case of each to his own with snakes.

i was born in africa and we had a black mumba in the garden...a few nights later another one..but after it got kileld it turned out to be a harmless snake. but if its a blac mamba you dont take chances.

i can just handle the grass snakes we used to get at our old houses. dont get them here tho.

you can only be extra vigilant.......i hope your buns are going to be ok:wave:

Back