• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed please

Both are too small for him to live in permanently. Minimum requirements are 6x2x2 with an attached 8x4ft run or pen. I would personally bring him inside. Is there no way you can let him free range at least when you are in? Do you have a spare room or a kitchen he can go in? If he isn't moving much, I'd be tempted to have him checked out by a vet. He may be suffering with arthritis. The cold will make this worse so he may perk up once he's brought inside.

Both are too small for him to live in permanently. Minimum requirements are 6x2x2 with an attached 8x4ft run or pen. I would personally bring him inside. Is there no way you can let him free range at least when you are in? Do you have a spare room or a kitchen he can go in? If he isn't moving much, I'd be tempted to have him checked out by a vet. He may be suffering with arthritis. The cold will make this worse so he may perk up once he's brought inside.

Yeah I could let him have the run of the hallway when I'm at home so I can keep an eye on him but have two dogs so wouldn't be able to be permanently out, No unfortunatly dont have any spare rooms plus my partner isnt keen on the idea of bringing him in but agreed that he can have the space under the staires. bless him I didn't think it could be arthritis.. I'll take him to the vets to get him checked out.

Last edited:
I would bring him in - and then let him have some free range time when you're in. Not totally ideal - but better I think than being outside in the cold.

Oh good. Letting him out whenever possible will be ok since you're stuck. I would advise you upgrade his outdoor setup so that he has a large enough space to go into for the Summer. If he's been stuck in a 4ft hutch then arthritis can be a real issue since he hasn't had much space to move around or really stretch out and hop properly. I'd definitely pop him to a vet so they can check his back and hips etc. Sometimes it's not obvious if they have arthritis but if he becomes more mobile once in the warmth then that is a big indicator and I'd be tempted to put him on pain relief to see if that helps. If it does then it may be a case of him being on long term pain relief. The only way to definitively diagnose arthritis is with an xray, but tbh it's not always needed as the treatment would be the same as a presumption of arthritis. Bringing him inside will give you the opportunity to watch him for signs of pain as well. :)
Fingers crossed your little man is OK and no meds are needed.

Okay so I have a idea, I have got one of those large indoor cages(I think to 4 foot long) what if I was to get another one which would be 8 foot and put them together and cut a hole and make a ramp so that he can use both? would that be OK for the winter??

That would be preferrable to just the space under the stairs but he will still need some free range time whenever possible. But it could work and is, in my opinion, far better than leaving him outside alone :D.

It's just linked to a page of different hutches and cages haha. If you think it looks too open you could put a hut in for him or cover over one end depending on what it is!
:) If it's a proper cage just be aware that they tend to be really expensive for what they are and you're usually better off buying a second hand dog crate with a pen attached or something. I just say this because indoor cages and hutches tend to be difficult to clean and don't offer enough space and usually cost well over £150! I bought a 46" dog crate for £60 a few weeks ago for my dog...significantly cheaper than a rabbit cage of the same size!

Back