• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice needed on adding a third piggy to a pair..

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
i've posted this on the piggy forum but wondered if anyone on here could advise. :wave:

basically the 'rescue' we adopted maisie from, said she hated all other sows. they said she came in with a group of boars from not a good situation.

this 'rescue' tried her with a group of sows straight away and she hated them. she was then mated (this 'rescues' way of doing things! ) and she gave birth to one little baby boy. he was adopted (probably more likely sold!)

anyway, she was tried again with sows and apparantly hated them.

we accepted this and thought no more of it, but now maisie has been with us a while and is settled, we just can't believe she wouldn't like other sows. she is the sweetest pig ever, she adores attention. the thing that is making me sad for her is that she is energetic and she loves to play and popcorn. she wants ches to play but he is a lazy pig and sleeps alot and lies in his hay!! when he does do the odd popcorn or move around she gets so excited.

ches sleeps pretty much all day and she just wanders round the cage on her own standing up all the time to look for us so we can give her attention.

she adores ches, they are very close, but we think maybe another sow who is a nice pig but also playful aswell, would make maisie happier. she would have a friend to pop with, but also ches aswell. and he would be fine with another sow.

we think she was tried with other sows at the rescue when she was already scared. then she was pregnant, then she lived alone at the rescue for about ten months until we adopted her. when she arrived here she was so terrified. it took her a while to settle. but she is so sweet natured and just a really affectionate pig.

does anyone have any advice?

She 'may' accept another sow if there is a boar to sort out the squabbles. In my experience groups of sows live more harmoniously with a boar in the group anyway.

However, you need to bear in mind what will happen if they don't get on. You're then left with a little sow that needs a friend - it goes on and on doesn't it ? :lol:

She 'may' accept another sow if there is a boar to sort out the squabbles. In my experience groups of sows live more harmoniously with a boar in the group anyway.

However, you need to bear in mind what will happen if they don't get on. You're then left with a little sow that needs a friend - it goes on and on doesn't it ? :lol:

thanks. :)

yes, that is an issue because i know i would fall in love with the new piggy and wouldn't beable to giver her up! :roll::oops:

i really don't know whether to try it or not. it's good they seem ok with a boar to look after them! i'm sure ches would love that job! :lol:

We bonded a third pig into our pair and all was fine. Both of the pair are approx 6 years old. George was a pets at home pig. He was in the pen on his own squeaking. When we looked he was quite large-so on asking about him he had been took out and kept in the office as he was bullying the other boars-and was put back when they'd all sold. Petal was a rescue-she has quite poor sight and relys on george a lot. They both bonded fine-george is neutered. As they love each other so much and are getting on we introduced a new sow-so if one passed away the other wouldn't be lonely. Marie was a pets at home adoption. Eight weeks old and affectionate liking human cuddles we introduced the three in the same way as buns you're bonding:) they're fine-and love trailing around the patio in a guinea pig train on behind the other! I'd advise a young sow. That way they are still playful and not seen as a threat to an older sow. Hope it all works out. It's lovely for them to live in a more natural and social situation. :)

We bonded a third pig into our pair and all was fine. Both of the pair are approx 6 years old. George was a pets at home pig. He was in the pen on his own squeaking. When we looked he was quite large-so on asking about him he had been took out and kept in the office as he was bullying the other boars-and was put back when they'd all sold. Petal was a rescue-she has quite poor sight and relys on george a lot. They both bonded fine-george is neutered. As they love each other so much and are getting on we introduced a new sow-so if one passed away the other wouldn't be lonely. Marie was a pets at home adoption. Eight weeks old and affectionate liking human cuddles we introduced the three in the same way as buns you're bonding:) they're fine-and love trailing around the patio in a guinea pig train on behind the other! I'd advise a young sow. That way they are still playful and not seen as a threat to an older sow. Hope it all works out. It's lovely for them to live in a more natural and social situation. :)

that's so cute! :love:

what would you class as a young sow? maisie is approx 2years old now. ches is about 3-4. :wave:

eta: playful is the right word there! maisie is very playful and affectionate. :love:

seriously, ches has moved round more since i posted this thread, than he has in the last week!! :shock::roll: they have been playing all day, knocking boxes over and snuggling and popcorning! :love:

we are going to extend the cage and if we move, extend even further! and maybe then think about another piggy. maybe the extra space will make ches more energetic. he certainly is in summer outside in their big run. :D

also got to think of the costs if all the pets were ill and needed vet care. have to know i could afford that.

being sensible for now! :lol:

Back