• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

advice for my old rabbit

where abouts do you live, if you dont mind me asking?
if you are near me (shepton mallet, somerset) i will give you my vets number, as they will come out to you if needs be. your bun sounds like my friends elderly rattie who had a stroke :(
i also have several packets of science recovery/critical care you can have to try him with if you are near me.
healing vibes sent you and your buns way xx

Not even close, oh well.
I live on the Wirral (Merseyside). Am sure there will be one close by.
Thanks for the offer of help anyway :wink:

Hi guys,
Finally took my bun to the vets.

They were amazed at his age and said he had a very strong heart considering his 14 years.

They said its probably an inner ear infection/brain tumour and so they will let me know tomorrow morning as hes in for intensive care now. Obvious if its a brain tumour (common in old rabbits, apparently) then thats it for him.

He's still trying to eat which is a good sign. vets should give him a good feed and drink which should make him happy.

His age still makes me think its impossible for him to come through this but i can always hope.

Will update on him tomorrow.

fingers crossed for your bun, sounds like a real fighter.

I just hope you make it back in time to say goodbye if it is his time to go. When I lost Buddy, saying goodbye was so special, I held on tight to him the whole time and he knew he was safe and I knew he was at peace

please keep us updated

fingers crossed for your bun, sounds like a real fighter.

I just hope you make it back in time to say goodbye if it is his time to go. When I lost Buddy, saying goodbye was so special, I held on tight to him the whole time and he knew he was safe and I knew he was at peace

good luck

Hi,

Well done, you did your best now so what will be will be, he's in the best place. Let's hope he has one more summer as the weather is getting better.

Maureen

Thanks for the support.

obviously i dont mind paying to try an extend his life but does anyone know the likely cost of this intensive care treatment?

Need to set aside some cash for the old man you see.

stephengp said:
Thanks for the support.

obviously i dont mind paying to try an extend his life but does anyone know the likely cost of this intensive care treatment?

Need to set aside some cash for the old man you see.

I would ask your Vet as prices vary from practice to practice. They may well agree for you to pay in instalments if needs be.

Janex

Vets have just phoned,
they want to put my bunny to sleep.
Have to go and say goodbye to him now, this is going to be tough :cry: :( :(

stephengp said:
Vets have just phoned,
they want to put my bunny to sleep.
Have to go and say goodbye to him, this is going to be tough :cry: :( :(

I am sorry to hear that but at least Mucky will pass peacefully after a good long life.
Saying goodbye to him is as important for you as it is for him. 14 years is a long time to share with a bunny.
Janex

The old fella is no longer with us now. Never want to go through something like that again.

I had 5 minutes alone with him to say goodbye. to see him lying there was horrible and not how i want to remember him. He had been eating well but they felt it was unfair to keep him alive in the state he was in. I could tell in his eyes that he wanted to go peacefully so fully understood. Couldn't hold the tears back at all. Don't know what im going to do now as was so used to him being around :(

I have just caught up with your thread. I know what you are going through as i had the same thing happen with my old bun. It does get easier i promise and 14 is a good age. He obviously had a good life and was well cared for. He will now be binkying around at the bridge with all our bridge bunnies. I know it hurts but he'll always be with you in spirit. x

Thanks,
Im sat here in tears and dont know what to do with myself. He was a very special bunny to me.
I only have one bunny left now so I hope he doesn't get lonely. Think i may retire from bunny keeping after Pete as moments like this are too painful.

I can truely empathise :cry: :cry:
The pain we feel when we lose a Bun reflects the love we have for them.
Mucky must have had a good life, he sure stuck around a fair while!!
I always think that although the pain of losing a Bun is HORRENDOUS it is a price well worth paying for the years of joy a Bun gives.
I know words are rather shallow at times like this but I hope the fact that others really do understand helps a bit.
Janex

Back