• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advanced info on stasis please!!

I would ask the Vet if he would consider giving her Lactulose, an osmotic laxative that draws water *into* the impacted matter. Unlike something such as liquid paraffin it does not coat the impaction in oil (which would be counterproductive) but rather aids rehydration of the impaction. So good ongoing fluid therapy is also needed too. As Gut Stasis can compromise liver function Lactulose can also be of benefit as it can mop up toxins that a compromised liver may not be coping with.

If your Vet does not stock Lactulose then it can be easily obtained OTC at any pharmacy.

Ooh ok thanks very much for this I will ask him...she is still on fluids continually and (without me having to ask) no longer has the collar on thankfully. They said they were going to put her in a run to get her to move around a bit also....Im hoping for another update soon x

Stasis is evil and so stressful!

Absolutely!!! I became complacent with my other bunny as he gets it all the time (well once every couple of months) but I can treat him - bit of metacam and metaclop and hes away! but I didnt really know it could be this slow getting right :cry: just hope it does go right x

Ooh ok thanks very much for this I will ask him...she is still on fluids continually and (without me having to ask) no longer has the collar on thankfully. They said they were going to put her in a run to get her to move around a bit also....Im hoping for another update soon x

Do you know what gut motility meds she is on ?

Has the Vet considered using Domperidone ?

Im not sure to be honest it was metaclop but Im not sure if theyve tried any others. He seemed amenable to the lactulose idea although they have a way of making you think theyve agreed to something then youre not sure!, Ill ask again later if it was given... he said hes really torn apparently she nibbled a tiny bit of dandelion leaf and is moving about a bit so hes not keen to operate at the moment as she is bright (although hes torn as he doesnt want to operate on a very sick bunny either!) and I said I didnt want that just yet....he said we'll keep going with the fluids over night etc and see how she is tomorrow...... he says if she not passed any more faecal pellets then he thinks we should operate :0( biochemistry wasnt done on the bloods as he said he was rushing to get them back thinking he was about to operate, he said he can do that this afternoon.... bloods were low glucose to be expected and slightly lower red blood cell count but nothing terrible...

Im not sure to be honest it was metaclop but Im not sure if theyve tried any others. He seemed amenable to the lactulose idea although they have a way of making you think theyve agreed to something then youre not sure!, Ill ask again later if it was given... he said hes really torn apparently she nibbled a tiny bit of dandelion leaf and is moving about a bit so hes not keen to operate at the moment as she is bright (although hes torn as he doesnt want to operate on a very sick bunny either!) and I said I didnt want that just yet....he said we'll keep going with the fluids over night etc and see how she is tomorrow...... he says if she not passed any more faecal pellets then he thinks we should operate :0( biochemistry wasnt done on the bloods as he said he was rushing to get them back thinking he was about to operate, he said he can do that this afternoon.... bloods were low glucose to be expected and slightly lower red blood cell count but nothing terrible...

Low glucose ??????????

I did after something you said, oh the lactulose mopping up toxins... so was worrying the longer this goes on could cause liver failure.....or...the whole reason the stasis started can be because of liver or kidney problems I believe? So he promised that would be done this afternoon.... Hopefully I can speak to him again shortly...thanks so much x

Ive just been to visit her (sobbing about her at home was doing me no good!) - she was hopping around the room looking fairly bright although a little slow. Shes just got everything you can think of to wet her appetite but shes barely touched a thing. Shes had 2 different gut motility drugs (Im usless I didnt ask but I did bit research and there seem to be a few? least theyve tried two types I guess..) and the lactulose this afternoon, shes still getting fluids (alebit not IV due to her ripping it out her foot and her ear one stopped working so under the skin) obv pain relief etc. He did mention about the glucose he did give me an explanation but I cant remember it word for word! something like its not that he thinks a complete blockage just a build up of gas which they can see on the xray and the fur and he doesnt think shes overly bloated, but initally if they operate tomorrow it will be to have an internal feel of everything before cutting anything open. He says he has done it a lot before he wouldnt be overly worried if she wasnt too unwell going into the op.....anyhow we'll see how she is tomorrow - shes still biting the nurse trying to syringe feed her! Also were waiting on results of full bloods... x

advice gut stasis

So Im another one, with a bunny with gut stasis but...shes been on everything possible since sat night and completely in vet care, she has a drip with fluids and metaclop, metacam, fibreplex, zantac, critical care etc and I had to pick her up to transfer her to my normal vets today (she was in an out of hours vets) which I did early this afternoon - they are keeping her in and since 2pm - shes not eaten and not pooed - I cant believe how long its taking her....is there any other explanation?? Ive asked if they could check her teeth although she was absolutely fine sat morning then very downhill by the afternoon....Im just so so worried :cry: x (PS my normal vets is an exotic vets)

Having had gut stasis several times with different bunnies i find that two to three teaspoons of pineapple juice concentrate bought from the supermarket and put in a syringe and fed into the mouth kick starts the gut into action. The bunnies love the taste of it and it gets the gut going. Also massage both sides of the tummy to get the gasses moving.Try then fresh parsley !

Hi Caroline, it sounds like she is under a good vet.

Katy didn't eat from Christmas Day :roll: up until a couple of days before New Years Eve, I found her link. I didn't realise it was 2008!

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...-Katy-improving-today&highlight=katy+blockage

Basically I was dropping her off at the vets during the day and bringing her home at night to her own environment.

What I tend to do now is to give pineapple whenever they have a moult, it is not proven to help but it can't do too much harm as long as too much is not given. They suspected that she too had hair in her tum. Katy was turning her nose up at food last Thursday night. I rushed out and got some pineapple, I tend to squeeze it to make the juice and then syring and they fight to get to the syringe. She was find within a couple of hours but we kept a close eye on her. It could have been coincidence but my other option was CG and they would not have done much more except put her on a drip (I had metacam if necessary but it was not needed).

I have everything crossed that things start moving for her. Hugs to you, I know how stressful it is xx

Thank you both. I remember you telling me Sandra about pineapple when twitch had his first ever episode but I must admit its not something I regularly get :)roll: Im an idiot) but they will all be getting some now! With Twitch who has it quite regularly - as I said bit of metacam and sometimes metaclopromide and hes fine within 2 hours, but Hazel has been a completely different kettle of fish and she was more than fine 10/11am sat then by 5pm she was hunched and 3 hours later she was at the vets..(Shes at Birch Heath now). Id just worry about liver problems if she continued not to eat..so that was 4 days? maybe 5 for katie? So Hazels been 3 and a half days to now....well massive fingers crossed I do have hope she just cant leave me yet! Shes never been ill before Ive had her over 3 years and shes a bit over 5.5 years old, its so frustrating.

As an aside yes I feel guilty because tonight is the first night I would have wanted to bring her home just to try something different, but for work Im on site tomorrow leaving the house at 6.30am and wont get back till 6pm and then need to drive to Dartford in Kent in the evening Ive stayed at home these past 2 days just waiting but unfort I cant cancel the rest of the weeks work :cry:....so basically I wouldnt be able to take her back to the vets tomorrow morn.....I feel awful but without my job I wouldnt be able to afford them all that they have and I have to be thankful Ive not been made redundant in these times! Have scraped through a couple of rounds of it.....my boyfriend is on standby to pick her up etc thankfully....because she WILL be coming home in the next 2 days! xx

It was about 5 or 6 days Caroline and she came back fine. When she did start to pass poop she didn't start to eat straight away, only bits. It wasn't until the NYE that she started to eat more. It was touch or go whether they operated on her but luckily things did start to move in the nick of time. I believe Birch Heath are very good so she is in good hands.

This has just prompted me to give mine some pineapple tonight.

If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.

Sending her lots of pooping vibes.

Code:
It was about 5 or 6 days Caroline and she came back fine. When she did start to pass poop she didn't start to eat straight away, only bits. It wasn't until the NYE that she started to eat more. It was touch or go whether they operated on her but luckily things did start to move in the nick of time. I believe Birch Heath are very good so she is in good hands.

This has just prompted me to give mine some pineapple tonight.

If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.

Sending her lots of pooping vibes.

Ah thank god for that right I think I'm going to resist surgery tomorrow at the very least as long as she's bright still.... Thank u so much xx

Each bunny is different so it is best to take the advice of your vet as they have the full picture of her condition. Katy was overweight which my vet said is probably what saved her as she had not eaten so I guess he meant she had some "reserves".

I hope that Hazel poops some more overnight so you don't have to make a decision. If she does have to have surgery I hope all goes well. x

Just read my post from 2007 and the blockage started on 25th Dec and on 28th a decision was to be made whether she had an op as she was still strong so it was on day 4 a decision would be made but luckily things started to move from the X-ray taken on Day 4. She only ate little bits over the next couple of days if I recall correctly as I thought I would have to stay in on NYE but she started to eat properly so I went out.

Last edited:
Thanks sandra don't worry I wud never ignore my vets advice, he was undecided also. I forgot now uve said he did say he'd take another xray today see what was going on... I am praying she will ha e pooed overnight.... Thank u for the vibes and all the info it's just amazing to know they can come thru it :) xx

Back