• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

ABNORMAL Droppings

Louise G

Warren Scout
I'm in the process of bonding a single female with neuterd pair and have just noticed she is doing tiny almost reddish brown droppings. They are usually dark brown/black and a lot bigger. Does anyone know what might be causing this? She hasn't eaten/drunk much today?

Sounds as though her GI tract has slowed right down as a result of stress (from bonding).

How long has she been with the other two ?

Oh nooo :( she's been with them since about 2pm so about 7 hours. She's barely eaten but started drinking. Haven't seen her pass urine either. The dominant bunny who terrified her is now feeding about 20cm away and hasn't shown any agression yet for a good while. I'm going to get some apple and curly kale (her faves) to see if I can tempt her. What would you reccomend I do? Thanks loads x

IMO If she does not start eating soon I would be tempted to seperate until she is back to normal as like Jane said bonding can cause a lot of stress and even though you want the bond to be quick it is not worth risking one of the bunnies health to do so.
It could really cause damage if she is holding in her urine too so I really would think about seperating for now and try again another day.
We had a similar problem when bonding Cookie with Jimby, when she was in the pen with him she would not eat/drink/pee or poop so we were advised by the vets to call it a day and try again the next day if she was eating again as it was not fair on her.

Back