• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A thought... not meant to be provocative but maybe it is....

I absolutely agree with you, my experience of free range is indoors. I live in a badger/fox-filled area so no way I could let any pet free range outdoors. Harry used to have a good hour or two a day in the garden with me though which he enjoyed.

Yes I should have said I don't rehome to houses where outdoor free range is the main form of exercise! The last 3 bunnies I have rehomed have all been to free range house bunny homes!! I can't have bunnies inside here though due to 2 cats with very high prey drives, so as they're living outdoors, they need to exercise outdoors too :)

All my rabbits currently live in accommodation which is too small. Our last garden was massive and I was able to give them 10 x 6 for each pair and 20 x 6 for the quad.

The quad now has 8 x 6 - a lovely shed (run to be built) the hares have 10 x 6 shed (run to be built) and mottle and peaches have our little spare room (not sure how big).

I hope to make a large run by the hare's shed and split it in half for them and mottle and peaches.

I quite agree that the minimum requirements dont seem anything like enough but obviously its better than many poor animals have.

I would LOVE to have massive enclosures for my lot one day. Would also love them to be indoors with a tunnel leading into a rabbit proof garden area ... *dreams*

I love the way that people on here are so passionate about their animals.

My 2 Buns live in an 8ft x 6ft shed.. with a 5ft x2 double level hutch inside, lower doors removed, so as to add 'play / hide' areas.
At the moment, it being winter, i spend, on average about 3 hours a day with them.. half hour in morning, an hour or so for accompanied running time, depending on weather, and half hour at bed time ( more in summer )

They choose to nest and sleep underneath the hutch on the floor of the shed and have the upper 2 levels to use if they want to ( which they rarely do ).. in addition they have permanent access to a 7 x 6 run.

I have secured my garden so that my buns have access ( accompanied by me at all times, winter approx an hour a day, summer many hours as I more or less live out there ) to run and play in a secure walled area.. 30 ft x 10 ft.. which includes another 6 ft x 3 ft hutch hidey with different levels, digging pits, tunnels.

In addition, I'm currently working on proofing our paddock area so they can have safe time there also.

I know, that Bunnies need so much more than we could ever give them... but I'm also starting to think...

Well.. my Buns have a great life, they are happy buns, I see it in their faces and body language every day.

I spend ALOT of time at home. I work from home..
Should I rescue more buns? .. the buns that have less quality of life than mine do? .. would that affect my plans for increasing my own Buns quality of life?

Realistically, I cannot afford, financially to adopt anymore Buns... all I can do, at this time, is continue to improve my Buns lives, increase their space, which costs me nothing - except for time and DIY..

So, my question to myself is... should I continue to give my Buns everything I think they should have, and expand upon that.
Or should I compromise, by reducing their space, their time with me, so that I can offer other buns a safe zone?

I really don't know what to do :? X

Last edited:
I think ideally yes, space is good for bunnies but

nervous bunnies may be intimidated by the space so lots of hiding spaces essential and putting a bunny straight into a big space may not be ideal

and hazards. If my bunnies free ranged outdoors they could escape very easily and if indoors they would electrocute themselves in minutes. Also DP hates stairs.

On the other hand, I know my bunnies are very very happy right now due to binkies, tooth purrs, the way they bound over and hop all over me.

So I think it's about providing the very best you can for your bunny at the moment, but never stopping trying to think of ways to improve their lives. In my case, bunny proofing the garden.

Back