• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A friend for Dillon - sad update post 811.

I really hope the vet’s goes well. I’ve been following the thread closely, and my fingers are crossed for Dillon. X x

Sorry to be totally out of the loop here, but what, exactly , are Dillon's symptoms and has the Vet ruled out any issues with his heart or any source of skeletal pain eg due to hip dysplasia ?

Apologies, but I have rather a lot going on atm so I have not had the chance to read this thread from the start x

I'm sorry this is the outcome for both you and poor Dillon. Hoping that the vet can come up with some more suggestions.

Im also sorry that this seems to be inconclusive. I hope that the vet can suggest some forward plan that helps to assist Dillons recovery. Topping up the vibes for Dillon. xx

Sorry to be totally out of the loop here, but what, exactly , are Dillon's symptoms and has the Vet ruled out any issues with his heart or any source of skeletal pain eg due to hip dysplasia ?

Apologies, but I have rather a lot going on atm so I have not had the chance to read this thread from the start x

I know you have a lot on and thank you for taking the time to reply.
Basically he was a fine in November when he and Cuthy had their boosters - then Cuthy died.
December saw him miserable so we got Susan from the RSPCA - they went to the bonder - 3 days in Dilly was at the vets in stasis
January saw Dilly with stasis and on medication for the month
Feb the stasis seemed to be under control but he looked sweaty and unkemp and had really bad urine scald
March, meds in case of stasis and very bad urine scald. Now seems to leak urine at night or when he is asleep

I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through this - I can so relate to the anxiety you must be feeling :( Given that the results are inconclusive, what did the vet suggest next, if anything?

She will ring me tonight with the next plan of attack. Thank you for your reply.

So sorry you haven't anything more concrete to go on, even with all these test results.

Has your vet any further suggestions? X

No MM nothing yet - part of the exam was xrays and full health check - Sheryl has put him back on the tramadol - full dose again. I questioned this as she has just had me wean him off it slowly. Thank you for your reply.

Just thinking out loud - and not really any sort of diagnosis, but as a thought, could it be plausible that Dillon is suffering stress? In humans, stress can (and frequently does) manifest into several different complications due to the body's various reactions to being overloaded. Sleep deprivation, sometimes skin rashes, prone to infections due to supressed immune system etc.
Dilly has been through quite a few months of change and perhaps his body is reacting to the changes? I know it's probably a wild notion - but animals do suffer stress the same as humans do.
Just a thought.

Just spoken to the vet, she said that today has been :-

A neurological exam
Gassed (rather than GA) with three xrays both sides and from on his back
A sterile bladder sample
Two blood tests
Skin exam and clipping the sensitive areas round his genitals and inside leg where we can not get too.

The xray showed a slight abnormality in his thorax area - nothing that would affect his bladder or posture for urinating.

As Sheryl knows what a sensitive soul he is - he stayed in her office with her and bumbled about - not having a GA helped
The bloods and the urine (not sent away) were run in the practice and all within normal perimeters

Just thinking out loud - and not really any sort of diagnosis, but as a thought, could it be plausible that Dillon is suffering stress? In humans, stress can (and frequently does) manifest into several different complications due to the body's various reactions to being overloaded. Sleep deprivation, sometimes skin rashes, prone to infections due to supressed immune system etc.
Dilly has been through quite a few months of change and perhaps his body is reacting to the changes? I know it's probably a wild notion - but animals do suffer stress the same as humans do.
Just a thought.

Craig, I wondered about stress - but he goes to my daughters when we are away, has put up with workman in the house. Copes with visiting dogs and children. The only thing that really seems to set him off is the car and Susan. I completely agree that stress is a real contender - it makes me wonder if I should send Susan back to the RSPCA but we think the world of her and even Dilly sits with her (wire fence between them). I just have no idea what we do next.

Ooh - sorry, I seem to have got alarm bells ringing.
Firstly, (and only my opinion) but sending Susan back? That's going to be about as popular on here as leaving a rude smell in an elevator. :lol:
You see, we ALL love Susan and she is clearly at home with you and, just my opinion, but you are doing the right thing having her there. She's got a forever home and, in time, I do believe she will be fine with Dilly.
Dillon to me, seems used to his routine - visiting dogs, builders, children. These are all familiar to his world and what he associates with routine. But his life in some ways has been turned completely upside down. And (and I was thinking about this as I was watching Henry earlier), Dillon can't speak to you and you him. So you can't tell him what you are doing is trying to rebalance his life. All he hears in his world is "blah blah blah blah" and his life has changed. His routine has changed.
Like humans, rabbits are emotional and complicated. They have different personalities and deal with situations differently - in my opinion.
It may be, that Dillon's world was stable and he liked that. Rabbits, evidentially, like routine. That changed and he doesn't know how to react. Perhaps his brain chemicals have gone into overload and causing an inbalance within his body that he can't control and neither can you. Thing is, you can't reverse time - as much as you (and for that matter most of us) would wish to do.
Problem is, is this plausable or am I just off my rocker? And if it's plausible, how can the situation be resolved.
For me, and not the best answer, but time can be the best healer, but rightly Dillon has ongoing medical problems to attend to. Isoltaing him probably isn't going to serve well because he will be used to companionship even if it is with wires in between. This was what I was pondering with Henry earlier. Watching him. I felt so sad that he can't sit with Lillian and 'communicate' with her about what he's just been doing (zooming upstairs and playing games with himself). He just sits there with Lillian in a quiet rabbit world. No verbal signals, nothing. So in essence they live in silence and yet they have to communicate in some way. I just wished Henry could sit and somehow tell Lillian just how much fun he's just had.
There are some stress remidies that you can get - plug ins and sprays that can be used.
I don't know - I wish I had an answer that could help you , I really do. But since the test results seem to be inconclusive, maybe it's worth chucking this theory round at the vet and see what their reaction is?
I'm sorry I can't help more. Dilly is such a lovely bun and I feel deep down he is just trying to deal with changes he doesn't understand and you just want to be able to tell him everything is ok.

No MM nothing yet - part of the exam was xrays and full health check - Sheryl has put him back on the tramadol - full dose again. I questioned this as she has just had me wean him off it slowly. Thank you for your reply.

At the risk of making myself unpopular, I think there may be something medically going on with Dilly that hasn't been identified yet. I hope I am wrong x

So sorry to hear you have no definitive news yet.

As someone who recently lost my baby boy Truffle not long ago I really feel for you and how hard it is trying everything you can, having the vets all behind you and still no answers.

The only things I know of that cause bladder leaks are trauma, older age (just general lack of control), bladder infection and I think (but don’t quote me) cancer. But I think most of those would show up in the tests they have already now done.
How’s his general mobility? Could it be he’s not able to get up in the night to wee? Or doesn’t like the dark to get to his tray etc? Sorry my ideas are really outside the box and probably not helpful.

On the note if possible stress and giving Susan back to the RSPCA, could you possibly eliminate this by housing her away from him for a while to see if anything improves? That way if not then Susan can stay.
Also I wanted to add, from my own experience with Truffle the stasis that set in and triggered his random undiagnosed illness that took him, was apparently caused by stress....but he had been through terrible home bonding sessions with us, two times bonding at a bonders, he loved the hoover and had no reaction to noise or people coming over, so I couldn’t see how he’d be stressed. I know it’s not helpful, I think they must think differently to us and get stressed over things we don’t understand or comprehend maybe. It might be nothing to do with stress but I wanted to share my recent experience and also let you know you are not alone.

I will be sending positive vibes you get better news very soon.

Love to the gorgeous Dilly <3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back