• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

47 rabbits need help........

Hey guys, I think everyone's got it wrong here, I think the rabbits should be neutered & the owner PTS!! :lol: :twisted:

I think its bloody pathetic the owner let it get to this situation....and even worse that she is still in the position to let it escalate again if she owns the parents still?

I am also concerned that there are a number of 'unknown sex' rabbits along with a known male of 16 weeks old. You do realise that these could be pregnant does by now, especially if they take after their dutch parentage as dutch sexually mature very quickly. :shock:

Well done for taking them but I hope history is not going to repeat itself.

No fear there!

All the ones I am taking are entire males!

The does have gone to the rescue who were contacted about this.

All of the males will be castrated, as are all rabbits when they come here. We have a strict neutering and non-breeding policy.

Emma

Oh, just to say there are no real differences with owning Belgian Hares as opposed to other breeds of rabbit, just that they are tall when they stand on their back legs & have long upright ears so will need a cage height no less than 20", but mine have at least 2ft from floor to ceiling.

The older generation of hare-breeders say that they can easily break their bones if they have too much space (because they have a very fine & delicate skeletal structure) so they tend to give them cages of less length but greater depth to add space that way). However I have not experienced this with my hares (touching wood) & they have a quite a bit of space, but doubt you wil have problems of this sort as these particular rabbits are crossed with dutch.

Yep, all the males are being removed.

Sue is taking the remaining six. We'll need to sort transport for that. Do you have room in the car to take her's up to your's Emma, if we find someone to do the trip from yours to Sue?

Tam

Different ones. She said after you take your ten there will be 6 left. 5x 16 week old babies and one single male. Sue says she'll take those.

Tam

Is this Sue Bracknell Rabbit Rescue Sue?

If yes, then transport is easy enough. I can collect my 10, deliver 4 to Christine (for her and Donna), take my 6 home and then take 6 to Sue.

All sorted and pieced together!

(Unless it is a different Sue!)

Emma

well done everyone. that's an amazing response. if a temp foster home is needed for a few i could help. although i'm based in london.

Yep, Bracknell Sue. Brilliant, I think we are all sorted then :D

Thanks Emma, your a star!

Tam

Tamsin said:

Tam

Mmmm and I'll get to see them then as I can always find an excuse to visit Sue :lol:

has the owner still got the originals? if so whats to stop her doing this all over again?
Well done all bunny adopters by the way :D

Hi Emilou,

The first message on here was cross-posted on another site & it actually said that the owner was not going to give up the does!

That's what made me question it too.

I think in this case it'd be better off to remove all rabbits & hutches, etc.

luvabun said:
Tamsin said:

Tam

Mmmm and I'll get to see them then as I can always find an excuse to visit Sue :lol:

Ooh, I'm taking my buns for another bunny holiday at their Aunty Sue's in a week and a bit. I may have to have a sneaky peek!

(Must...Not...Adopt...More...Rabbits...or boyfriend may actually leave!)

n_s_harris said:
luvabun said:
Tamsin said:

Tam

Ooh, I'm taking my buns for another bunny holiday at their Aunty Sue's in a week and a bit. I may have to have a sneaky peek!

(Must...Not...Adopt...More...Rabbits...or boyfriend may actually leave!)

And there's no point not taking a pet carrier along as they have spare ones you can borrow :lol: :wink:

well i'm really confused - I rang at half eight last night to be told that they dont know how many are left and how many they have placed and that they still needed fosters - I have volunteered myself as a last resort if any ar left when the dealine gets here and was told that they wont know anything more until the end of the week when they get there to see them ---help!! what is going on???

The owner is taking the rabbits to the rescue rather than the rescue picking them up. The rabbits were in worse condition than they were told. It looks like most of them are going to need medical attention before they can go to homes.

I'm guessing the rescue is now going to go to the owners house to check up on them. The discrepancy in numbers is possibly because the rescue wasn't told accurate ones by the owner.

Tam

Tamsin said:
The discrepancy in numbers is possibly because the rescue wasn't told accurate ones by the owner.

Tam

So I continue to wonder how many more rabbits this owner has up her sleeve.......? :shock:

I think they are now going to the womans house to check, I received the following follow up:

Well...... some of them have arrived at her home and they are in the most appalling condition - babies with their ears bitten down and all other sorts of mutilations from fights between unneutered rabbits. They are filthy and smell of manure and have been taken immediately to the vet (a vegan AR supporter who does the work more cheaply for Karen). The woman has kept the others back as she says they need treatment before she can hand them on so we can only imagine what they are like. That will be dealt with! However, Karen will need some help with the bill, which will be substantial despite the discount. If any of your readers feel that they can help out can they make cheques payable to St Francis Surgery and send them straight to 40 Norfolk Square, Brighton, East Sussex BN1 2PE and don't forget to add a note that they are for Karen Rodger's account. I know that this is a lean time of year but please, please try to send something, no matter how small, as the worry is making Karen quite ill - something she can't afford to be as she already spends from morning til night cleaning, nursing and feeding animals.

Just as I thought!
That many rabbits just cannot live together in 'unknown' sexes without serious injury & illness :x

I'm wondering where on earth she obtained the original rabbits from?...especially the Belgian Hares as there aren't that many breeders of them in the South. :?:

If anyone gets hold of one of the adults they should have a look for a ring on its leg & if so, contact the BRC to trace the original owner!

Back