• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

4 week old Rabbits for sale - Help please...UD I PICKED THEM UP AND PIC ADDED

i would really try and get mum too, if you have the time and space,and money you could try a nameing fundraiser, babies that young without there mom are very time consuming, see jack janes babies they have been touch and go bless emm and there mom past away, otherwise i would tell the lady not to sell them until 8 weeks or i will report her to the rspca, so encourage her to hand them all over for a very small fee on nothing at all, find out were dad is too if you can you dont have to take him of course but at least you can judge whether shes breeding for profit or was accidental, its hard to tell the type of person she is untill your at hers, i dont know highlight the fact that babies are very hard to rehome, and are most likely to end up dead or in a rescue, and say last year we had 30.000 dumped buns last year at least really drum it in without lectureing i found helps :D

Thank you for that advice, I am calling at 12.30 to arrange to go and see them and possibly pick them up tonight. I shall ask about the mum then and I will try to take her but I don’t want to push as she may refuse to give me any and then I will feel guilty. I’m quite nervous about this as I have never done it before. I have 2 of my own buns so have the knowledge but this is another thing all together! I will try the naming competition to try and help with there care. As with everyone I am not rolling in money at the moment but I have the recourses to help!

i would personaly push to take mom if i was you, its not easy taking babies so young, as you will be hand rearing them effectivly, do you have that sort of time?, im not clued up on hand rearing ive still got the mom for my 7 foster babies, there are lots of threads on here though with advise if you type in the search bar, what have you got to put them in, im not trying to put you off but just trying to forwarn you, babies poop for england too they have hollow legs and are not house trained, my 7 have there mom and are hard work, could be an idea to take the hutch they are in to if you can, just be strong if she gets pooy hell if i was near you id do it for you,

Hi All,

Just called the lady and she spoke little English. It turns out that there were 8 babies so 4 have already been sold. She is not a breeder and it seems that it was an 'accident' she is not willing to let us take mum due to her being a pet. So now I need to understand what I need to do to help these babies survive. We have a hutch big enough for all 4 babies and will do our best with them to give them the best chance. As they are on solids should I continue with the solids avoiding carrots and the like?

How old are these babies? If they're still only 4 weeks (remember it could be an old advert) they will require good quality pellets such as Excel junior. Soaking the pellets will make them easier to eat.

Do their bellies look full? They may possibly need their diet supplementing with goats milk if they are particularly small or skinny. 1 or 2 milk feeds per day will be plenty.

The best way to prepare the goats milk is to put it in a china cup and stand the cup in boiling water until the milk has warmed up, then stir in some powdered probiotics. The babies should be able to drink from a dish at that age, but you can hand feed them with a small 1ml syringe if necessary.

Good luck :)

Id rescue them, they could die eating carrots so young!! Either rescue them or tell the women what to do right.

Baby rabbits don't die from eating carrots, my babies ate both salad, carrots and tomatoes from the time they started eating, since their mother had it while pregnant and nursing they got used to it through their mothers milk:D
The rule of "no greens before 4 months" is mostly because young rabbits have fragile tummies, and a rabbit regardless of age can get an upset tummy when it tries to eat new food, for a young rabbit that could be lethal. But if mom's eating it, they'll be fine since they get it through their milk.

They are 5 weeks now..The vet was great and it seems that they should be on solid food, Musli if thats what they are on and slowly put onto pellets, water and a minimal amount of veggies. She has said I can call anytime if I need help. Your advice has been great and I shall add piccis when I can of them. Thank you xx

Ps: abbymarysmokey I shall keep an eye on there tummies when we get them!

It is vital they have a constant hay supply too. Bunnies should not be on a diet of just pellets and veggies.
Hay is vital to keep their teeth in good shape, and their digestive system working.
You need to browse the forum for advice on getting the babies sexed and seperated before they are old enough to mate.
You are taking on a large responsibility... Perhaps the expert rescue folks on here can give you advice on rearing and rehoming.

Good luck.

I am so bad, still have not put piccis up of this adorable bunch!!
It turns out she had 8 but sold 4, I now have the other 4 they are:
3 lionheads:
1 strawberry blonde :)
I darker brown
1 Harlequin with Helicopter ears

1 mixed breed, white with splodges or grey!

The white one had very dirty paws and some poop stuck to her. We groomed them on Sat morning and the Harlequin which we have nickname Harley had a big lump of hard poop stuck to his underbelly. It was rock solid so it had been there for a while. We cleaned them all up and they are doing fab. The white one is a little smaller than the others but he/she is doing well. They eat lots and drink lots too. Glad we picked them up!!

Baby rabbits don't die from eating carrots, my babies ate both salad, carrots and tomatoes from the time they started eating, since their mother had it while pregnant and nursing they got used to it through their mothers milk:D
The rule of "no greens before 4 months" is mostly because young rabbits have fragile tummies, and a rabbit regardless of age can get an upset tummy when it tries to eat new food, for a young rabbit that could be lethal. But if mom's eating it, they'll be fine since they get it through their milk.

I know they dont die from eating carrots but it can upset their tummys. My friends baby buns all nearly died after been given greens from her husband, they took them to the vets, they all servived apart from one. Just cautous now, better to be safe than sorry and id personally wait untill they are over 4 monts old!!!!

I know they dont die from eating carrots but it can upset their tummys. My friends baby buns all nearly died after been given greens from her husband, they took them to the vets, they all servived apart from one. Just cautous now, better to be safe than sorry and id personally wait untill they are over 4 monts old!!!!

was it proven to be greens:? only when I get rescue baby rabbits in or even does that haven given birth as soon as they start to come out of the nest they nibble on mums veg and none of the babies have ever died from it or got upset tums (maybe I have been lucky:D but I would never wait until a bun was over 4 months old to introduce veg).

Sure, but if they are used to greens already I don't see any problem giving them.
I prefer giving young rabbits greens as early as possible, since then I can put them on the lawn sooner, and not worry about them getting bad tummies when they get older (+my neighbors sometimes feed the "hungry" bunnies sitting outside my house:lol:)

Wild rabbits don't have hay or pellets, they eat grass and leaves from the time they start eating, they don't get upset tummies since that's all they eat. Greens are their natural food, so why not let them have it?

Here are the adorable bunch, I have a couple more pics (basically the same shot) but I am unable to add it right now! They are lush little ones! What do you all think?

041.jpg

did you ask about dad and whether shes going to make mom have more

I did indeed, apparently it was an accident but she showed me a pic of mum and dad together so it was no accident :?

I did she mum and she is stunning and in good health but I did not see mum. She did however tell me it was her second litter. I do however not think they are doing it for the money as I got all 4 for £25!

She did inform me that they ate Rice, cookies etc. I was horrified! Poor little things!!

head and wall comes to mind,:roll: did you try to gently explain the next best course for her buns, i know its hard too, but at least you have these 4, lets hope fingers crossed another litter of hers dont come up for sale

head and wall comes to mind,:roll: did you try to gently explain the next best course for her buns, i know its hard too, but at least you have these 4, lets hope fingers crossed another litter of hers dont come up for sale
TBH and I do not mean this in a horrible way at all there English was limited and the Mum barley understood me so explaining something so complicated would have been very hard. I know I should have but it could have gone on all night and I just wanted to get them out of there!

I really hope that is the end of the baby buns for them! x

Back