• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2011 Foraging

aaah thanks for clearing the ivy thing up - Archie tries to eat it sometimes too!

I just foraged and got 2 huge bags of hawthorn for the buns! wahooo - they really enjoy it - though its a new thing for them...and some willow branches...

Just want to ask: Do you worry about the thorns on the hawthorn?
Some are quite nasty...whilst others dont have any...

and

Can the buns eat the berries?

thankyou!:wave:

Chelle; buns can't eat the berries AFAIK. I would remove the thorns, but the buns don't mind.

Also, I think I have a hawthorn hedge in my garden, but it doesn't have any thorns :?

Im presuming like any new food - hawthorn should be introduced slowly?

OR

like brambles can it be fed ever day and any amounts?

Thank all!:wave:

My bag of hawthorn is looking abit wilty today.....:?

I may already have asked this, if so I apologise. :oops:

I've got some plant seed here, valerian, coltsfoot, passion flower and echinacea. Now, I know they can have coltsfoot, am pretty sure they can have echinacea but don't know about the other two. Any ideas?

red valerian is safe to eat but not the common valerian, not sure which you've got
coltsfoot hmmm i say no because it contains pyrrolizidine alkaloids which are liver damaging properties but i've seen them on safe lists?? personally i avoid.
pasion flower is not safe
echinacea is safe

Chelle; buns can't eat the berries AFAIK. I would remove the thorns, but the buns don't mind.

Also, I think I have a hawthorn hedge in my garden, but it doesn't have any thorns :?

The Hawthorn round here doesn't have many thorns either.

red valerian is safe to eat but not the common valerian, not sure which you've got
coltsfoot hmmm i say no because it contains pyrrolizidine alkaloids which are liver damaging properties but i've seen them on safe lists?? personally i avoid.
pasion flower is not safe
echinacea is safe

Thanks.

It's Valeriana officinalis.

I thought I'd seen coltsfoot in the Burns range?

yes i've seen it loads too but it's just a personal thing for me - i wouldn't many others would :D
it's kinda like groundsel, i've heard rabbits are suseptible to the liver damaging contents of it, it kills cattle and is closely related to ragwort! i wouldn't go near it myself let alone feed it but that's also on safe lists
i think that's just 2 examples of contraversial plants

you have the common valerian :(

yes i've seen it loads too but it's just a personal thing for me - i wouldn't many others would :D
it's kinda like groundsel, i've heard rabbits are suseptible to the liver damaging contents of it, it kills cattle and is closely related to ragwort! i wouldn't go near it myself let alone feed it but that's also on safe lists
i think that's just 2 examples of contraversial plants

you have the common valerian :(

Aw, never mind. i didn't specifically buy them for the rabbits :oops:

I need some little signs, one with a bunny and one with a bunny with a cross to stick by the plants in the garden :lol:

Can the buns have all the rocket plant? Stems and flowers as well? My rocket plants are running to seed so I've chopped them right back. :oops:

:wave:

sorry Schuette...not sure...:oops:

Just wanted to check as OH is on computer with my list....is Holly hock ok to feed? whole plant?

And sunflower stalk & leaves & petals....but not see?

thanks guys!

my sister bought me half a box of fresh rose petals today!:love:

bumping for Schuette & I :oops::lol:

Is Rocket ( I also presumed as in rocket salad) ok if its gone to seed?

is Holly hock ok to feed? whole plant?

And sunflower stalk & leaves & petals....but not the seed?

thankyou all...sorry if its already been mentioned before...:oops:

I didnt feed it in the end :oops: I forgot about it yesterday and it had gone funny by today. Hopefully the plant will now start producing some proper leaves. :oops:

bumping for Schuette & I :oops::lol:

Is Rocket ( I also presumed as in rocket salad) ok if its gone to seed?

is Holly hock ok to feed? whole plant?

And sunflower stalk & leaves & petals....but not the seed?

thankyou all...sorry if its already been mentioned before...:oops:

As far as I'm aware rocket is fine even when it's gone to seed.

Don't know about Holly Hock or Sunflower stalks & leaves but Sunflower hearts are fine & are a good weight gaining food :)

I didnt feed it in the end :oops: I forgot about it yesterday and it had gone funny by today. Hopefully the plant will now start producing some proper leaves. :oops:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Thats so funny!:roll::lol::lol::lol:

As far as I'm aware rocket is fine even when it's gone to seed.

Don't know about Holly Hock or Sunflower stalks & leaves but Sunflower hearts are fine & are a good weight gaining food :)

:Dthankyou Fluffers!

now....the sunflower heart? Thats the seeds isnt it?:oops:
If so...I thought they couldnt have seeds....sorry if Im way off the mark...:oops::?

Back