• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2011 Foraging

you know....Ive never seent his english pot marigold before! Ive only ever grown the african ones....can anyone (Thumps Judy) tell me why they are not great for buns?:wave:

I'm sorry I can't:oops::oops:
I think I read it on the old RU site of bunny safe/unsafe cultivated plants. I'm not too good at cultivated plants. :oops:
I also found out that Calendula only applies to the English (pot) marigold. They're so easy to grow & self seed plentifully. :)
I definately know that English marigolds are sold commercially in good bunny treats.

African marigolds are one of several different species of Tagetes & aren't sold as bunny treats.
There are marked differences between USA & UK in nomenclature sometimes.
We need Rabbit Nutrition or Clutterydrawer or Pretty Lupin or Bavarian bunny to help here.
A huge thankyou for your question though cos I found out that English Marigold helps gut spasm in rabbits & I'm desperate for something to help Thumper at present.

Nessar you are right that is a willow - probably a weeping willow which has yellowish/orangey twigs which hang down.

Yes an airing cupboard is an ideal place to dry things in.

Last edited:
Few questions:

I went foraging today, I got two types of plantain and some dandelion leafs. I washed them all out and put them in a brown bag with newspaper around them and in the hotpress, is this the best way to dry them out? Or how does everyone like to dry theres best?

Does anyone know what this is? And can rabbits eat it? Flower and leafs?

Also with the brambles, are they just what the blackberries grow on? And what part of it can they eat?

300216_207572855963988_100001338267810_558350_453739_n.jpg

298356_207573429297264_100001338267810_558352_72133_n.jpg

Last edited:
Hope all this helps!:D

Thanks chelle I think I am getting it right then:) The seeds I sow for Calendula are crescent moon (sort of:oops:) shaped and quite hard -the resulting plants I feed to Twinkle. The french marigold (tagetes) seeds are straight with a light colour at one end of the seed and a dark colour at the other end -the resuting plants I don't feed to Twinkle.

Wish some of the books would get it right:roll: I dashed downstairs to research on the computer the other night because I found Calendula on a poisonous list in a book:shock:

Michelle, I dry things on a tarp in the dining room. Haven't tried either dandelion or plantain though.

There's all sorts of ways of drying, much depends on how much space you have how much you want to dry, & of course the weather.
I need lots so I dry on some old curtains under the house roof in the attic.
In the garden shed on slatted shelves.
If really hot, on every available surface in the car.:shock:
You just need it to be warm, dry & good air circulation.
I speeded upthe final drying process by putting them in the tumble dryer on a wool setting for about 15 mins when "leathery dry" to get them crispy dry.

I've strung up a washing line from the house roof rafters & in the shed & hang small bundles of twigs there to dry the leaves.
I've used the outside washing line for sticky willy "hay" in good weather -takes about 5 days. Just fold it over & it sticks to itself.
Some folk use thin net bags on the washing line when it's hot.
Some dry in the oven at 50C for an hour. I'm not too good at cooking & either cook it to a soggy mush or to a charcoal "burnt offering" - (not acceptable.:lol:)
Window sills come in handy as does any part of the floor I don't need to walk on.:lol:
OK folks over to you for anything else.

Michelle, I dry things on a tarp in the dining room. Haven't tried either dandelion or plantain though.

My dandelion & plantain dry fast under the bed or under the table on carpeted floor. they need to be pretty dry before tumble drying though or theysquidge up to nothing!

Few questions:

Does anyone know what this is? And can rabbits eat it? Flower and leafs?

Also with the brambles, are they just what the blackberries grow on? And what part of it can they eat?

300216_207572855963988_100001338267810_558350_453739_n.jpg

This is a plant/weed (!) called self heal. www.rabbitnutrition.co.uk lists it as safe and I've been feeding it since the start of the summer with no problems. I give them the flowers, leaves and stem...

As regards the brambles, I just feed the leaves. The first few times I scraped off the thorns but now I just leave them on because they don't seem to bother my buns at all. Although my two also have no problem devouring thistle leaves! :shock: Strange bunnies!

On the subject of thistles can anyone tell me if all the thistles are safe to eat? I've large and small flowered ones growing - just wanted to check before I give them to them...

Yes they're all safe to eat.
I'd just mention that being at ground level make sure there are no wildies in the area. I heard of a case of wildie myxo being transmitted to a wildie by "thistle stab" but it stretched my credulity somewhat! I never saw the evidence for that statement.
It wouldn't put me off feeding my bun safe thistles if he'd eat them.

I'm sorry I can't:oops::oops:
I think I read it on the old RU site of bunny safe/unsafe cultivated plants. I'm not too good at cultivated plants. :oops:
I also found out that Calendula only applies to the English (pot) marigold. They're so easy to grow & self seed plentifully. :)
I definately know that English marigolds are sold commercially in good bunny treats.

African marigolds are one of several different species of Tagetes & aren't sold as bunny treats.
There are marked differences between USA & UK in nomenclature sometimes.
We need Rabbit Nutrition or Clutterydrawer or Pretty Lupin or Bavarian bunny to help here.
A huge thankyou for your question though cos I found out that English Marigold helps gut spasm in rabbits & I'm desperate for something to help Thumper at present.

Nessar you are right that is a willow - probably a weeping willow which has yellowish/orangey twigs which hang down.

Yes an airing cupboard is an ideal place to dry things in.

thankyou! Done be:oops: at all...goodness - youre a wealth of knowledge...!;)

I do hope someone knows...mainly for the fact it might really help Thumps more than anything! I do enjoy knowing the benefits of plants...would be so very useful to be able to supply our buns with planst that help sort any issues out....we wait to see if anyone has more knowledge about this for us! I think Ill go look for some english marigold (calendula)...strange though - as Ive bought seeds & plants before that were calendula and they had segregated leaves...and didnt look at all like the link I had on here.:?

Can anybody identify this plant for me please?:D I've a few of them sprouting up in my garden...is it safe for buns? If so which parts? Thanks in advance!

8cBk669

Hmm... this looks like it maybe a type of honeysuckle??? But I'm no expert, just learning, so ask a pro! I'm not sure if buns can eat honeysuckle... I think I might have read somewhere that the leaves / stems are ok but def not the berries! I have honeysuckle in my garden and the buns aren't interested (yet).

I read last night that someone was drying honeysuckle flowers for their buns...so they must be fine for them. I also read somewhere else that buns can eat petunia and fuchsia :shock: never knew that, so I wondered, can they eat all varieties of fuchsia coz some have really big flowers...is it just the smaller, 'more natural' flower that they can eat??

Also Buddleia...can they eat the leaves and the flowers?? Is fresh and dried ok?

All these things I didn't know, it's great to learn about all these new and yummy treats I can feed them :D

Last edited:
What part of the bindweed is ok, is it the white flowers as I have this growing in the garden coming through from nextdoor, also is it the hawthorn flowers that they can eat, sorry I am new to this and frightened I might give them something wrong.

Last edited:
What part of the bindweed is ok, is it the white flowers as I have this growing in the garden coming through from nextdoor, also is it the hawthorn flowers that they can eat, sorry I am new to this and frightened I might give them something wrong.

I thought bindweed was poisonous?:?

In regards to hawthorn, I only feed the leaves and young twigs. Not sure if the flowers are safe but I'm sure someone else will be able to tell us!

I thought bindweed was poisonous?:?

In regards to hawthorn, I only feed the leaves and young twigs. Not sure if the flowers are safe but I'm sure someone else will be able to tell us!

The hawthorn flowers & buds are used by vet herbalists to slow the heart rate in buns with heart disease. There are also interactions with some orthodox medicines. The slowing effect would happen in normal buns too. That's the reasom why I advise to remove them.
I also advise that the berries are removed because the seeds inside are very hard & could damage teeth also they are of such a size that they could get stuck in the gut if swallowed.
Hope that helps. If you want the medical explaination just ask. It's a bit tough on jargon!

ETA Rabbit nutrition says that field bindweed /lesser bindweed is ok (it has the pale pink stripes on the flower).
I also thought that greater bindweed with larger pure white flowers was mildly poisonous. I've never used it because of that belief.

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice, the only bindweed I knew of was the white flower one so will avoid will also avoid the hawthorn too. :wave:

Thank you for the advice, the only bindweed I knew of was the white flower one so will avoid will also avoid the hawthorn too. :wave:

The leaves on hawthorn are great for buns, & help to keep their tummies in good shape. You can give those in with hay. It's only the buds flowers & berries you have to avoid.

There's all sorts of ways of drying, much depends on how much space you have how much you want to dry, & of course the weather.
I need lots so I dry on some old curtains under the house roof in the attic.
In the garden shed on slatted shelves.
If really hot, on every available surface in the car.:shock:
You just need it to be warm, dry & good air circulation.
I speeded upthe final drying process by putting them in the tumble dryer on a wool setting for about 15 mins when "leathery dry" to get them crispy dry.

I've strung up a washing line from the house roof rafters & in the shed & hang small bundles of twigs there to dry the leaves.
I've used the outside washing line for sticky willy "hay" in good weather -takes about 5 days. Just fold it over & it sticks to itself.
Some folk use thin net bags on the washing line when it's hot.
Some dry in the oven at 50C for an hour. I'm not too good at cooking & either cook it to a soggy mush or to a charcoal "burnt offering" - (not acceptable.:lol:)
Window sills come in handy as does any part of the floor I don't need to walk on.:lol:
OK folks over to you for anything else.

Covered every angle there thumps :D

Hello again! I also thought that bindweed was poisonous so I avoid it, just burnt a whole load of it!! so hope it wasn't a good bun food or they'll be sad :(

I'd be interested for someone int he know to confirm the honeysuckle leaves thing tho... as we have loads of honeysuckle... the buns have never seemed to try and go for it in the garden tho? Seem to be more interested in the small fragile lovely plants that I try and protect from them!!!

Also like to know if the above is true about them eating fuschia?? We have several of those traditional types of fuschia, the one that sends up new stalks each year with largish pink and purple flowers.. the buns do sometimes try a nibble but not tht keen. Buty if it's not poisonous, and the buns don't go for it then it's a good plant for people who want plants to survive!! Although I'm not that keen and was going dig some of mine up...

Hi all,

Not sure of anyone is still checking in here since the foraging season is over :cry: but thought I'd post anyway...

Just wondering if it's safe for buns to eat buddleia branches? Mine love the leaves and have been getting them regularly over the summer but now that the tree is beginning to die back for the winter I was going to prune off some of the branches and give them to the buns if they're safe?

Thanks!

Back