• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2011 Foraging

Ahh welll...... the paddock my ponies are in is surrounded by hawthorn so no shortage for me :D

Lovely! I might have a look in the alley behind my house and see if there is some there. We live near fields and a short walk there is some woods so in theory their should be something there!!

Lovely! I might have a look in the alley behind my house and see if there is some there. We live near fields and a short walk there is some woods so in theory their should be something there!!

Definitely. A lot of foot paths & bridleways have hawthorn lining them too :wave:

Definitely. A lot of foot paths & bridleways have hawthorn lining them too :wave:

Yeah there's another one near the allotment but it's quite close to the motorway so I don't want to pick that. Next nice dry day I'm going to go for a walk and see if I can find some. Does it dry nicely?

Yeah there's another one near the allotment but it's quite close to the motorway so I don't want to pick that. Next nice dry day I'm going to go for a walk and see if I can find some. Does it dry nicely?

I've not got to the drying stage yet but after 4-5 days of being in the garage the leaves started to curl a little and drop off so I think it would be easy to dry :)

I have this weed in my garden:
IMAG0020.jpg

What is it and is it bunny safe?

Also this (which i'm 99% sure is Hawthorn)
IMAG0021.jpg

And this (again Hawthorn and something else next to it to the left of the picture... what is it?)
IMAG0022.jpg

Any help would be great

I have this weed in my garden:
IMAG0020.jpg

What is it and is it bunny safe?

Also this (which i'm 99% sure is Hawthorn)
IMAG0021.jpg

And this (again Hawthorn and something else next to it to the left of the picture... what is it?)
IMAG0022.jpg

Any help would be great

Not sure about the first pic, possibly ground elder? The second is Hawthorn and the stuff on the left of the third looks like Ivy?

ivy rings bells! it's not good for buns is it?

just googled pictures of ground-elder and it looks the same!

is it ok for the buns?

Last edited:
No to Ivy. Not sure about Elder. If in doubt, leave it out :D

I caught Mingus climbing into the "elder" and trying to eat it whilst I was skipping out their house. He gave me a dirty look when I removed him from it and explained the process of not eating stuff when I don't know what it is. Bunnies are quite norty :roll:

I caught Mingus climbing into the "elder" and trying to eat it whilst I was skipping out their house. He gave me a dirty look when I removed him from it and explained the process of not eating stuff when I don't know what it is. Bunnies are quite norty :roll:

:lol:

I planted a mallow seed last year and it's gone wild this year, I'm harvesting a bowl of flowers and leaves everyday, drying and breaking up to add to shop bought herbs... Filled the tub back up in a few days. I keep meaning to pick up some plantain and dandelion. Strawberry leaves too. May even give my mam's raspberry, backberry, apple and pear trees a prune.

Brought home a hawthorn branch on sunday.

Can't wait or the brambles to ripen, I've almost run out from last year, Hobbes loves a frozen berry now and again, also make nice pink biscuits for him with them, oats and crushed pellets.

I've been slack this year, I've got a drawer full of bunny friendly seeds but I haven't sown any :cry:

IMAG0022.jpg

Any help would be great

I don't think the stuff on the left is ivy, it looks more like field maple (acer campestre)

The pic isn't very clear though...you could either take a more detailed pic or just do a google image seach for "acer campestre" and compare it to what you have :)

I planted a mallow seed last year and it's gone wild this year, I'm harvesting a bowl of flowers and leaves everyday, drying and breaking up to add to shop bought herbs... Filled the tub back up in a few days. I keep meaning to pick up some plantain and dandelion. Strawberry leaves too. May even give my mam's raspberry, backberry, apple and pear trees a prune.

Brought home a hawthorn branch on sunday.

Can't wait or the brambles to ripen, I've almost run out from last year, Hobbes loves a frozen berry now and again, also make nice pink biscuits for him with them, oats and crushed pellets.

I've been slack this year, I've got a drawer full of bunny friendly seeds but I haven't sown any :cry:

oooh - I forgot about Mallow...not sure what it is exactly...and when i go to buy the seeds - there is always a variety and I get confused...so dont buy any!:roll::lol:
Could I see a pic of yours?:oops::)

Also can anyone confirm carnations are ok for buns to eat? Flowers, stems & leaves.

And the flowers of flat leaf parsley?:oops:

thanks guys! ;)

the buns have been LOVING the hawthorn. Mingus especially. Rupy loves roses... as in he comes running when he realises :shock:

Realising the garden has tonnes so the buns will have a good winter.

If anyone is in the Manchester/North Cheshire region and wants to come for a walk with me to show me whats what I'd appreciate it and will buy the drinks! :D

wow! i haven't seen this thread in ages :oops:
carnations have a lot of saponins so i wouldn't feed them delibarately but wouldn't worry if they ate some either :)
all of the parsley is edible

Koni - i'd take you up on your offer but your too far from me :wave: feel free to post or send me pics though

wow! i haven't seen this thread in ages :oops:
carnations have a lot of saponins so i wouldn't feed them delibarately but wouldn't worry if they ate some either :)
all of the parsley is edible

Koni - i'd take you up on your offer but your too far from me :wave: feel free to post or send me pics though

thankyou about the carnation...wont rush out and start snipping bits to dry then!:lol:
and will rush off to get the parsley!

cheers!:D

I may already have asked this, if so I apologise. :oops:

I've got some plant seed here, valerian, coltsfoot, passion flower and echinacea. Now, I know they can have coltsfoot, am pretty sure they can have echinacea but don't know about the other two. Any ideas?

Just to clear up a common misconception - common Ivy is fine. Not a suitable feed -but NOT toxic (just the berries to be mindful of). It is POISON ivy that is toxic to rabbits but this is quite rare in the UK :wave:

Just to clear up a common misconception - common Ivy is fine. Not a suitable feed -but NOT toxic (just the berries to be mindful of). It is POISON ivy that is toxic to rabbits but this is quite rare in the UK :wave:

All of mine have eaten ivy over the years and lived to tell the tale!

Back