• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2011 Foraging

Thought so but I don't always trust my brain :oops:

Now on my flowers list I have...

Chamomile
Lavender
Echinacea
Marshmellow

and then annuals if I get round to it...

Marigold
Nasturtium
Violet

calendula are also called pot marigold
personally, i don't feed or grow any other type of marigold - african, french marigold simply because they produce a substance that acts as an insecticide but having said that, they have been used (humans) to treat indigestion, colic and constipation

i'm almost certain you have campanula - take some piccies in a month or 2 - they'll be in flower then

I've still got the tag from when I bought it somewhere, will dig it out tomorrow! It has a washing up bowl clamped over the top of it when bunnies are roaming to prevent the nibbles.

you can split the plant - it grows practically anywhere and spreads too - you often see it hanging over walls as it's great to use for camoflage on broken walls, paving stones etc
best of all though it's edible PLUS keeps its leaves through winter

you can split the plant - it grows practically anywhere and spreads too - you often see it hanging over walls as it's great to use for camoflage on broken walls, paving stones etc
best of all though it's edible PLUS keeps its leaves through winter

Yep, the bit of my garden where it's planted is about 90% stones/building rubbish, barely any soil! Needed something that didn't mind that and it seems to be doing just fine and dandy along with Aquilegia (which the buns ignore, just tried to hide underneath). So it is bunny safe? Pat only manages to grab a few leaves before I chase her off of it!

campanula is edible yes but i would be cautious with the aquilegia, there are toxins in it, probably why your bun avoids it

sadly once aquilegia gets in a garden and seeds itself its impossible to get rid of! they have ignored it thankfully and hopefully the campanula/grass/dandelions/brambles will keep their attention!

I've began my foraging, but so far just brambles and Hawthorne, but plan on scouring for sow thistle, clover, dandilions, Plantain, mayweed and I think this year my buns can try nettle, can someone tell me can they eat the leaves straight away due to the sting??

I've began my foraging, but so far just brambles and Hawthorne, but plan on scouring for sow thistle, clover, dandilions, Plantain, mayweed and I think this year my buns can try nettle, can someone tell me can they eat the leaves straight away due to the sting??

Yeah they can eat the leaves. I think I will probably dry my nettle this year plenty of it about.

:oops: I must try some of these ideas. I am always afraid to try new things so stick to the basics and these sound so lovely.

For a beginner, what would you recommend..............

We have hawthorn growing the other side of the fence which is now about 14ft high as the council won't come and trim it down :roll: So there is one thing.

:oops: I must try some of these ideas. I am always afraid to try new things so stick to the basics and these sound so lovely.

For a beginner, what would you recommend..............

We have hawthorn growing the other side of the fence which is now about 14ft high as the council won't come and trim it down :roll: So there is one thing.

Well if you can get the hawthorn deffinatly start there :D Brambles are easy to identify so you could try that and at a guess you know what stinging nettles look like :wave:

I would love to plant up some pots with things the bunnies can munch through. I have found this website www.thegreenchronicle.co.uk. Can anyone recommend them? Also, are all these OK for buns: Lovage, Mint, Parsley, Rosemary, Sage, and Thyme? They are in a herb garden mixed pack.

You lot are lucky! There isn't much to collect here yet. Some dandelions that are tiny and skinny little things, and a few strawberry leaves.

Gives me hope though that in a couple of weeks there will be a bit more :D

Can anyone tell me if leaves with blemishes on are okay to feed? :wave:

I'm ultra cautious with my bun & on here. If an insect has eaten part of the leaf it's OK, but if the blemish is caused by a fungus -rust or other disease - it can cause liver damage. So I don't use these leaves. I don't use curled/deformed leaves either. It could either be a sign of plant disease or worse that weed killer has been used.
We mustn't dry any blemished leaves, they can spoil the whole batch.

My rule of thumb is to ask "Would I eat these leaves - where they're gathered from & general appearance?" If the answer is no, I don't give them to my bun.

Back