• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2 unneutered males living together?

bunnygirlie

New Kit
I have two unneutered males living together. They are litter mates so they are both 9 weeks old. I was told once they get about three months, they need to be separated. Is this true? I was told once I get them both neutered, they will be able to live together just fine. Is this true? Would it be smart of me to buy a spayed female as a companion?

I bought my two boys together, even though they are not true brothers. They were fine up until about five months where they got a bit randy and started humping each other so I did have to seperate them for a while. Once they were neutured I put them back together to recover and they have been absolutely fine ever since. Hope this helps,
Emma x

Yes unless neuteured when they reach sexual maturity they will have to be separated because boys tend to get quite nasty and cause damage to each others nether regions. If you want to keep them together I would suggest having them both neuteured at the same time before any humping/biting/chasing and out of control behaviour begins that way you nip it in the bud. You also have to keep in mind the hormones can still stay around for 6 months after an op too. I made the mistake of leaving my 3 boys until they began fighting and now they are spearated and will need rebonding :( They began at around 5 months too but it depends on the breed of rabbit. If you do it at around 12 weeks they should still remain bonded and recover together nicely way before any nastiness would usually set in :)

I have two unneutered males living together. They are litter mates so they are both 9 weeks old. I was told once they get about three months, they need to be separated. Is this true? I was told once I get them both neutered, they will be able to live together just fine. Is this true? Would it be smart of me to buy a spayed female as a companion?

My advise would be to find a vet who will neuter them as soon as their testicles have appeared. I would suggest that if you can leave them together do so, only if they are fighting consider separating them as trying to rebond them can be quite tricky.

Get them neutered as soon as they are mature which should be in about another 4 weeks time.

I would keep all otehr rabbits away from these until they have been neutered for at least a couple of months.

If you end up splitting them and then have difficulty in repairing them up, I would suggest then considering adding a female to each male bun.

Hi, my o/h's twin sisters have too young male rabbits, who were fine at first and then became humping each other, one more than the other and became aggressive. So we decided to split them up. However they havent been neutered so are stil separate.

I had two other rabbits where were brothers, unfortunately it was too late by the time we realised they were fighting, one of their noses was hanging off (cant explain) so off he went to vets, he was also covered in bite marks with bits of fur missing. They are obviously separated now.

So in my experience either have them neutered or i would separate them.

Hope this helps:wave:

OMGSH I can't imagine them fighting like that. Missing noses and such. They are so sweet now! Well I really hope that I can find someone to neuter them before all this happens. Thank you so much for all the advice.

OMGSH I can't imagine them fighting like that. Missing noses and such. They are so sweet now! Well I really hope that I can find someone to neuter them before all this happens. Thank you so much for all the advice.

Yes, the vet put him on antibiotics - he wasnt mine at the time, he lived next door. His nose has healed but its more like a flap now. Again hard to explain lol.

These two bunnies were really sweet and i said it was unknown to us what was going on.

I hope you sort something out. :wave:

If they fight before you neuter them odds of getting them back together (even neutered) are slim to none. If you get them neutered before they fight they may well live together happily.

The important thing is to neuter before there is a problem, don't wait and see because then it's too late.

It's quite amazing how they fight, you would imagine it how then can go for best friends and so cute together to ripping each other to shreds when their hormones kick in.

Tam

They can be neutered as soon as their testicles drop if your vet is experienced. That can be anything from 3+ month, 4 is the most common age.

Tam

If you go on the House Rabbit website in the USA and look for shelters in Nebraska, you could then phone them and see if they can recommend a rabbit savvy vet near you for neutering.

Back