• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

🐰If you are thinking of buying a rabbit please read this first🐰

Clarekg

Young Bun
Every so often, I don't know why because I cannot get another rabbit at present and it breaks my heart to look, but I still do it. I look on my local gumtree at the poor rabbits people are trying to sell or worse just give away, some are for genuine reasons, but for most it is obvious that they have not thought about or researched what a rabbit needs and have quickly got bored with their new pet. Most are kept in tiny dirty hutches which are described in the adds as spacious with no hay in sight or any other food. Some are pictured with only white toast and rich tea biscuits to eat. Quite a few of them are offered for sale with their current prison. One seller is offering a pair in a tiny cage because they are going on a long holiday... Hate to think what they might do with them if they don't manage to rehome them before they plan to go. If you are thinking of buying a rabbit please do your homework, rabbits need loads of room lots of attention preferably a rabbit friend or friends and must eat the correct diet. If possible please get one from a animal rescue or from the free ads so many need rehoming. Sorry if it seems like I am preaching to the converted 🐰🐰 xx.

Exactly why I now have my new bun Buffy. She was being given away in a terrible state, with her tiny 'prison' (which we declined to take) x

Why I also have my Persephone - she was being kept in a hamster cage. I didn't even know if she would eat hay as, of course, there was none.

I agree Clare :(

I wish we could get this message over to the pet shops. Perhaps they are still in the dark ages regarding rabbits and their needs? When I do home checks for rabbits I stress how very difficult they are to keep with a good quality of life. Also, the vets bills and the length of life they have ahead. I know all places that sell rabbits are not the same, but many small pet shops where people buy on impulse still give little to no advice :(

The last two times I looked on a free ads site, I came away with a rabbit :D I'm really pleased to have given them a new home :D

Last edited:
I agree Clare :(

I wish we could get this message over to the pet shops. Perhaps they are still in the dark ages regarding rabbits and their needs? When I do home checks for rabbits I stress how very difficult they are to keep with a good quality of life. Also, the vets bills and the length of life they have ahead. I know all places that sell rabbits are not the same, but many small pet shops where people buy on impulse still give little to no advice :(

The last two times I looked on a free ads site, I came away with a rabbit :D I'm really pleased to have given them a new home :D

Maybe you need to look more often mighty max, it sounds like it could be habit forming lol x

Back