• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Search results

1. zarathustra

New Hutch Options

Hi All. Lola and Pips house is coming to the end of its life after 2 years. They currently have one of these https://homeandroost.co.uk/product/hutch-6ft-kendal-hutch-run/ which is connected to their run via a tunnel and has had some modifications as Lola doesn’t do ramps. It’s not a bad...
  2. zarathustra

Cut rabbit while grooming

Hi all, We were battling Lola and her mucky bum at lunch time, and I nicked her with the scissors. I think it was superficial, as she didn’t seem to flinch when I did it, so didn’t realise till I saw the blood. I’ve been in touch with the vets to see if I can book at appointment (she keeps...
  3. zarathustra

Lola and her feet

While grooming Lola recently I notice small hairless patches on each of her back feet, which look to me like sore hocks. I'm going to give the vets a bell tomorrow to see if I can get her in next year. While I wait for an appointment, is there anything I can do to try and stop things from...
  4. zarathustra

Timothy Hay

We order our hay from TimothyHay.co.uk, it's reasonably priced, you get good service with quick delivery, and the ladies love it so there is rarely much waste. But I've noticed that the last 2 or 3 batches have suddenly started really affecting my allergies (I have hay fever). The first batch...
  5. zarathustra

The way to a rabbits heart...

Is through her stomach. Today we let our little lad meet Lola and Pip face to face. Lola is a shy old lady so doesn't venture more than a couple of feet from the hutch, but Pip was more than happy to come out, and with the help of some carrot she seems to have made a new friend. He was...
  6. zarathustra

Poorly bun

It looks like Lola isn't well. I noticed some patches of shorter fur a few weeks back around the end of June, there were a couple of tiny bits of dandruff/skin flakes but both she and Pip were going through heavy moults at the time so I put it down to that. I would have got her in for a check...
  7. zarathustra

Toys for larger rabbits

We've had Lola and Pip for a a lite over a year. Before the whole Corona thing kicked off we were planning on updating their housing, lock of paint, new toys etc but but we put everything on hold. Now we're looking at this again. They aren't giant rabbits, but they are on the large side, so...
  8. zarathustra

Claw length

Hi all, I've noticed that Lola and Pips claws appear to be getting too long. They aren't crazy long, but they are starting to poke out from their fur, however, they both have very fluffy feet so I don't know whether they were too long before they started being visible. Neither of the ladies...
  9. zarathustra

Rabbit safe wood stain/paint

Hi all, It's that time of year when I need to look at updating Lola and Pips run and add some new bits and pieces. I've got my eye on some stuff from manor pet housing as the ladies are a bit big for the normal sort of stuff you can get from pets at home and the like. As the stuff would be...
  10. zarathustra

Cleaning a mucky bum

So got back from getting some Christmas photos of the baby, and thought I'd pop out side to check on the ladies. I saw that Lola had something stuck to her rear end, and on closer inspection it appeared to be poop. We got her out and snipped out the poop, but her tail looks really matted. I...
  11. zarathustra

Emptying Hay Dispensers

Hi all, It's been a while since I last posted, but Lola and Pip have started pulling all of the hay out of their hay dispensers in the run, and also pooing and weeing all over the run as well. While it's not difficult to clean up, it's a huge waste of hay, as it ends up on the floor, gets wet...
  12. zarathustra

Pip not eating (again)

So I went out to feed the ladies earlier and Pip is off her food again. Sitting in a corner straining to do a poo etc. We are currently looking to see if we can afford to take her to the emergency vets (for the second time in 4 weeks). She's had 3 checkups since we adopted them (1 was during...
  13. zarathustra

Pip not eating

So went out to feed the ladies tonight and Pip was nowhere to be seen. Normally she would be running around in circles fighting Lola to be the first in the nugget bowl. Found her hunched up in the bedroom, she's been stretching out, hiding in the corner, avoiding all forms of food etc. She is...
  14. zarathustra

Litter trays

Hi all, as some of you may have seen we recently adopted a couple of bunnies from the local RSPCA, and one of them won't leave the hutch, although I have built some steps so we need to see how that is going to go. Currently both rabbits seem to have taken to using their sleeping area as a...
  15. zarathustra

Rabbit won't leave hutch

So as some will have seen we got some rescue bunnies at the weekend, and things have been going well, except the oldest one, Lola, refuses to leave the hutch. We aren't sure if it is the ramp or something else, so I'm going to try building steps to replace the ramp next weekend to see if that...
  16. zarathustra

Alternative to a ramp.

So we got our new rescue bunnies Lola and Pip today from the RSPCA, and they won't use the ramp that connects their hutch to their run. They're currently sat upstairs in their hutch, not even showing any interest in the ramp. I've put a brick under the end of the ramp to make it a bit less...
  17. zarathustra

New Rabbits

Me and the wife had our home visit from the RSPCA today and everything went ok. We can't pick the ladies up this weekend as we are away for the bank holiday, so we are hoping to arrange to collect them the weekend after next. The lucky ladies are a mother and daughter pair. Lola is the mum...
  18. zarathustra

How Do You Cope With The Worry After Losing Rabbits?

My wife and I have decided that the time is right to start looking for some new bunnies, so I've been emailing some local rescues to find out about arranging some visits etc. We still have some work to do getting a new hutch, making sure everything in the garden has been cleaned and disinfected...
  19. zarathustra

Closure for Frank and Spencer

So the ordeal has finally come to a close. Got a letter from our vets insurance company today. They admit liability that the error with the boys vaccinations most likely caused their death, and as well as agreeing to cover all emergency vets bills and the cost of the post mortem etc they have...
  20. zarathustra

Can anyone recommend a hutch?

I'm starting to think about hutches and stuff for when we get our next happy hoppers, which hopefully will be a couple of months. Previously we had a Bluebell hideaway hutch from Pets At Home, which wasn't too bad, but I would like to get something a bit longer, we found that it got a bit...
Back