• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutered rabbit humping constantly

gracieweg

Young Bun
Hiya, looking for some advice. My bun is 4 years old and has been neutered for about 3 years. He never showed any sexual behaviour before his neuter, and the main reason we got him done was to fix his litter tray habits. After his neuter he used his litter tray perfectly and was so well behaved. He took a sudden turn, taking a very keen interest in me, with constant circling and chinning. He would also spray urine at me constantly, making it difficult to spend time with him as he would end up getting shut in a room (usually has roam of the entire house) to keep him away from me. He also stopped using his litter tray, meaning the entire house is littered with poos. However, his obsession is only with me. If i am away for whatever reason, he is fine with my parents and will use his litter tray most of the time. I read about getting him a teddy so he can handle his business, which worked, but now he also humps me and not just the teddy. I’ve brought this up with the vets but every time they just laugh it off and say he loves me. It’s getting really frustrating as i feel as though i can’t let him out as im always worried he’s going to wee/poo on furniture/rugs/etc.

Hiya, looking for some advice. My bun is 4 years old and has been neutered for about 3 years. He never showed any sexual behaviour before his neuter, and the main reason we got him done was to fix his litter tray habits. After his neuter he used his litter tray perfectly and was so well behaved. He took a sudden turn, taking a very keen interest in me, with constant circling and chinning. He would also spray urine at me constantly, making it difficult to spend time with him as he would end up getting shut in a room (usually has roam of the entire house) to keep him away from me. He also stopped using his litter tray, meaning the entire house is littered with poos. However, his obsession is only with me. If i am away for whatever reason, he is fine with my parents and will use his litter tray most of the time. I read about getting him a teddy so he can handle his business, which worked, but now he also humps me and not just the teddy. I’ve brought this up with the vets but every time they just laugh it off and say he loves me. It’s getting really frustrating as i feel as though i can’t let him out as im always worried he’s going to wee/poo on furniture/rugs/etc.
Hypersexual behaviour in a neutered Buck can be indicative of a problem with the Adrenal Glands- Adrenal Gland Hyperplasia.

*GRAPHIC IMAGES ON THIS LINK*

In the first instance this needs to be investigated by a Rabbit Savvy Vet

The behaviour *might* have a physical cause. If it is found not to be the case then you need to consider how he is being kept. Rabbits are social animals and need a companion of their own kind.

Are you in contact with any other Rabbits, could their be a scent of another Rabbit or another animal on your clothing?

Are you a female and if so is his behaviour worse at certain times of your menstrual cycle?
What do you do when he humps and sprays you ?

You say he’s fine with your parents when you are away. But how much contact does he have with them compared to you?

I had an excessive humper who was driving his companion to exhaustion. He was neutered too.

The problem was solved when I talked to a herbalist vet who recommended agnus castus. I've been scrambling around trying to find the dose I used and I haven't yet been able to but it was a very small amount (measured with a dropper) of the tincture (I got mine from Neal's yard) put into an egg cup. I then poured boiling water into it to burn off the alcohol. Waited for it to cool then added it to the water bottle. As I remember I first spoke to Galens Garden, who put me onto a herbalist who recommended the agnus castus and told me the dose via email. You can find herbal vets here https://herbalvets.org.uk/find-a-herbal-vet/

Because it was such a low dose it was an inexpensive solution and I gradually cut down after a few years, there was a period he only needed it in spring time and then he didn't need it at all.

I had an excessive humper who was driving his companion to exhaustion. He was neutered too.

The problem was solved when I talked to a herbalist vet who recommended agnus castus. I've been scrambling around trying to find the dose I used and I haven't yet been able to but it was a very small amount (measured with a dropper) of the tincture (I got mine from Neal's yard) put into an egg cup. I then poured boiling water into it to burn off the alcohol. Waited for it to cool then added it to the water bottle. As I remember I first spoke to Galens Garden, who put me onto a herbalist who recommended the agnus castus and told me the dose via email. You can find herbal vets here https://herbalvets.org.uk/find-a-herbal-vet/

Because it was such a low dose it was an inexpensive solution and I gradually cut down after a few years, there was a period he only needed it in spring time and then he didn't need it at all.
Very interesting

Will discuss with my Vet, who is pro complimentary treatments 😀

Back