• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Big day for Grace and Luther

We had a good night as far as I could tell from my bunny cam.

This morning I got up because I spotted a bit of chasing. But it resolved very easily.

Things this morning I’ve seen, Luther has groomed Grace, and Grace gave him a full wash nose to behind his ears! So all good there, she seems to like the idea having a friend and really onboard.
However, he’s started today gently grunting and trying to mount her, not being aggressive although he did get a bit of her hair, but she doesn’t want it so keeps moving away. He did have a few thrusts one time but apparently that wasn’t enough.

I’m not really sure what to do as I’ve never dealt with humping before, I know it’s dominance but do you let it happen unless someone gets annoyed? Or is it just a no no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's probably going to happen whether you are there or not, and you can't always stop it. So they will have to sort it out between themselves and they will.

It can be dominance, but also (especially at this time of year) a bit of spring fever :)

They look very relaxed together :love: humping is normal behaviour in bonding, I just let them get on with it so long as they aren’t head humping, as bites there can cause bad wounds, or if it leads to bad chasing and circling. When I bonded Frosty and Fern he was doing all the humping, she just let him get on with it though. Although all hell broke loose when she tried to hump him back and a fight nearly ensued. Luckily I was able to split them up by sliding a plastic dustpan between them and they settled down again.

Thank you. He’s not done much since I mentioned it, but as I was making my lunch it all kicked off! Exactly as you say, I saw her on him!! So I got involved because it was turning nasty but I only had to clap and use my voice. I have no idea what happened as I only saw the middle/end.

But before that they were flopping all next to each other. Think I’m going to be on edge until they settle

With humping I try to let it happen for a few moments then gently push the offending bun off & distract them if possible. However it very much depends on body language & if Grace is getting agitated (not the same as running away). I stop any wrong end humping. It is totally normal new bond behaviour though & it does IME get better within a few days. It sounds like Luey is top bun

I thought that might be the case so the friendly attempts I let happen this morning. Then they stopped for hours and just flopped near each other and made a giant mess. Thank you :)
I hope you are right I don’t think I can cope with more than a few days of this lol!
Well I thought that until 5 mins ago and something went off, she was humping him and I stopped them with a clap, both had each other’s fur in their mouth, so no idea what happened.

It's probably going to happen whether you are there or not, and you can't always stop it. So they will have to sort it out between themselves and they will.

It can be dominance, but also (especially at this time of year) a bit of spring fever :)

Yeah that’s true, like just now lol! Making my lunch and heard it kick off, when over and she was on him humping! He was desperately trying to spring upwards out of her grip and it was getting heated so I stopped them, both had clumps of the other’s hair in their mouths.
But before that for hours it was fine and they were cuddling and flopping after destroying everything in their pen lol.

Hope they stop doing it soon, feel on edge :-/

bf397b23414aec07fd0f2180bb8524da.jpg

48dea7ef2fd1d8aaf8a1c8c6a873ca77.jpg

Thank you. He’s not done much since I mentioned it, but as I was making my lunch it all kicked off! Exactly as you say, I saw her on him!! So I got involved because it was turning nasty but I only had to clap and use my voice. I have no idea what happened as I only saw the middle/end.

But before that they were flopping all next to each other. Think I’m going to be on edge until they settle

I remember feeling the same! And they were very on edge with each other for a while. I suppose they have to learn to trust each another. I managed to settle them with some nice hay in the middle with dried flowers and herbs mixed in, it got them being social again.

I remember feeling the same! And they were very on edge with each other for a while. I suppose they have to learn to trust each another. I managed to settle them with some nice hay in the middle with dried flowers and herbs mixed in, it got them being social again.

Since that incident he keeps trying it on every now and then and she’s 50/50 on hopping away or just letting him get on with it. I’m hoping he will feel he’s made his point soon, I feel bad for her dealing with him lol!
Oh I’ll give that a try, thank you :)

I got really upset at how humpy Joey was when bonding him to Mouse & Boo. Keep reminding yourself they are bunnies not humans . Its good she is coping with it some / most of the time xx

In my experience what you're seeing is pretty normal behaviour. I think it should settle down over the next couple of days. Experienced bonder tonibun has also often said this is the case I think :)

When I was bonding Tui and Tethra, Tethra had a few days when he humped Tui. Tui appeared to treat it as a game. She would wait for him to get into position, knowing that she could very easily run away (I didn't bond them in a small space). She never showed any aggression and neither did Tethra, but there were bits of fur flying as he desperately attempted to hold on. She also played the game of running up to him, bumping him on the nose and then running away :lol: I think there's a name for females who act in this way :lol:

I got really upset at how humpy Joey was when bonding him to Mouse & Boo. Keep reminding yourself they are bunnies not humans . Its good she is coping with it some / most of the time xx

Yeah that’s very true, it’s odd behaviour to us but it their language I guess. She’s ok most of the time until she decides to try and mount him then all hell breaks loose! Xx

In my experience what you're seeing is pretty normal behaviour. I think it should settle down over the next couple of days. Experienced bonder tonibun has also often said this is the case I think :)

When I was bonding Tui and Tethra, Tethra had a few days when he humped Tui. Tui appeared to treat it as a game. She would wait for him to get into position, knowing that she could very easily run away (I didn't bond them in a small space). She never showed any aggression and neither did Tethra, but there were bits of fur flying as he desperately attempted to hold on. She also played the game of running up to him, bumping him on the nose and then running away :lol: I think there's a name for females who act in this way :lol:

I really hope so because their behaviour makes no sense to me lol!
I was cleaning out the soiled newspaper etc and turned round and after all the excitement of me cleaning the pen she was on him again! He dealt with it but then suddenly saw me and flipped out and it got more serious so I stopped everything with clapping again. But then he just kept biting her in the face when she got near him for hours after. I just saw him doing it again so I told him off and they happened to lay nose to nose so I smooshed both bunnies noses so they’d think it was each other, then Luther mouthed the top of her head to bite but then started licking her face and ears, now grooming himself next to her.

I don’t get bunnies lol.

Haha so cute she used to run up and bump Tethra! Yes I know exactly the kind of female you mean lol!

I really hope so because their behaviour makes no sense to me lol!
I was cleaning out the soiled newspaper etc and turned round and after all the excitement of me cleaning the pen she was on him again! He dealt with it but then suddenly saw me and flipped out and it got more serious so I stopped everything with clapping again. But then he just kept biting her in the face when she got near him for hours after. I just saw him doing it again so I told him off and they happened to lay nose to nose so I smooshed both bunnies noses so they’d think it was each other, then Luther mouthed the top of her head to bite but then started licking her face and ears, now grooming himself next to her.

I don’t get bunnies lol.

Haha so cute she used to run up and bump Tethra! Yes I know exactly the kind of female you mean lol!

Sometimes I think me being there or cleaning them out was a trigger I think, so I took to watching them out of sight on the bunny cam, but in the next room where I could intervene if necessary. I learnt to ignore the mess and leave them to it :lol:

However, he’s started today gently grunting and trying to mount her, not being aggressive although he did get a bit of her hair, but she doesn’t want it so keeps moving away. He did have a few thrusts one time but apparently that wasn’t enough.

I’m not really sure what to do as I’ve never dealt with humping before, I know it’s dominance but do you let it happen unless someone gets annoyed? Or is it just a no no?

Phillip humped Snowy for weeks and weeks while they were bonding. It was incessant and I honestly thought at one point it would never stop - but it did, just suddenly one day. Now he does it maybe once every couple of months briefly. We generally only stopped it if he did it on her face or if she was getting visibly upset.

Glad things are going well - they look lovely together :love:

Hmm? This is indeed stressful for you - and I fully understand why and how. It's the complexities of a language that we don't fully understand, but we can kind of part read because there are some repetitive behaviours. Henry still occasionally humps Lillian even though they've both been done. By the book, he shouldn't have any desire to behave like this because he's plum-less. So it's more deep rooted. Lillian isn't a fan of such ungentlemanly behaviour and she hops off and luckily for us, that's as far as it goes. The dominance in our two is perhaps more even because neither shows much agression. Henry loves to groom Lillian and is devoted to that, and recently, in turn, she has also taken to grooming him. But she asserts dominance by coming up to him when he is minding his own business and shoving her head down in front of him. Henry on his part, has independance and will spend hours up the garden on his own, just watching the world go by. Lillian meanwhile, is lost without Henry and looks actively for him. At meal times, Henry struggles to get near the food. But they are happy and they have not fought.
So, from my seat, humping is a ritual and is a way of asserting dominance. From what you say, Grace is attempting to naturally assert dominance and probably Luther is thinking "what the hell?" and is resisting because he has not been used to this.
Now they are in familiar surroundings, they have settled and perhaps they feel they can push boundaries? Luther knows this is his home and is confident to defend that belief, whilst Grace feels she wants to be in the home, but also needs to feel superior to Luther because that's how the heirachy works.
However, you have HUGE positives in the photos - the snuggling up photos show that both are content to sit and tollerate. Look back a few weeks and it was a different story. I am a bit concerned about the fur pulling - especially on the head so I would state the obvious and say that you still need to maintain vigilance and intervene as you have been, but also as you have been, sharing in praise and of telling off. I would suggest that neither is singled out for any chastisement and that both are equally told off and both equally praised. Like children, it's important to show balance to both so that neither gets preferential treatment.
What you are doing is absolutley brilliant - and yes hugely stressful. But your love for Luther and Grace is abundant and so is your patience and support and so I feel you will see improvements in the coming days.
All rabbits are different in so many ways. No two are alike and sometimes getting a bond to work just takes a bit longer. I wish at times, we could speak directly to our buns and just reassure them that we are here as support and help, not to harm, and just make them understand that in our care, they are safe and won't be at risk.
Continuing to send vibes and hope the next few days are better. They are a lovley couple. x

Sometimes I think me being there or cleaning them out was a trigger I think, so I took to watching them out of sight on the bunny cam, but in the next room where I could intervene if necessary. I learnt to ignore the mess and leave them to it :lol:

I took into account what you said today and yesterday I spent more time away apart from making food and today a cake. I think it’s definitely helped, as did having the tv on in the room I was in so they had other noises/things going on :)

Phillip humped Snowy for weeks and weeks while they were bonding. It was incessant and I honestly thought at one point it would never stop - but it did, just suddenly one day. Now he does it maybe once every couple of months briefly. We generally only stopped it if he did it on her face or if she was getting visibly upset.

It’s good to know it eventually mostly stops in the end. Poor Snowy, that’s a fair time to endure bless her <3

Aww thank you so much :-D

Clementine did this to Atticus, for agesss after they came home from bonding and they used to chase every so often, I just ignored it or distracted them with noms [emoji38]

They're very cute together btw :) x

I took into account what you said today and yesterday I spent more time away apart from making food and today a cake. I think it’s definitely helped, as did having the tv on in the room I was in so they had other noises/things going on :)

It’s good to get away from the side of the bonding pen too, the tension really builds up. I hope it continues to go well :thumb:

Hmm? This is indeed stressful for you - and I fully understand why and how. It's the complexities of a language that we don't fully understand, but we can kind of part read because there are some repetitive behaviours. Henry still occasionally humps Lillian even though they've both been done. By the book, he shouldn't have any desire to behave like this because he's plum-less. So it's more deep rooted. Lillian isn't a fan of such ungentlemanly behaviour and she hops off and luckily for us, that's as far as it goes. The dominance in our two is perhaps more even because neither shows much agression. Henry loves to groom Lillian and is devoted to that, and recently, in turn, she has also taken to grooming him. But she asserts dominance by coming up to him when he is minding his own business and shoving her head down in front of him. Henry on his part, has independance and will spend hours up the garden on his own, just watching the world go by. Lillian meanwhile, is lost without Henry and looks actively for him. At meal times, Henry struggles to get near the food. But they are happy and they have not fought.
So, from my seat, humping is a ritual and is a way of asserting dominance. From what you say, Grace is attempting to naturally assert dominance and probably Luther is thinking "what the hell?" and is resisting because he has not been used to this.
Now they are in familiar surroundings, they have settled and perhaps they feel they can push boundaries? Luther knows this is his home and is confident to defend that belief, whilst Grace feels she wants to be in the home, but also needs to feel superior to Luther because that's how the heirachy works.
However, you have HUGE positives in the photos - the snuggling up photos show that both are content to sit and tollerate. Look back a few weeks and it was a different story. I am a bit concerned about the fur pulling - especially on the head so I would state the obvious and say that you still need to maintain vigilance and intervene as you have been, but also as you have been, sharing in praise and of telling off. I would suggest that neither is singled out for any chastisement and that both are equally told off and both equally praised. Like children, it's important to show balance to both so that neither gets preferential treatment.
What you are doing is absolutley brilliant - and yes hugely stressful. But your love for Luther and Grace is abundant and so is your patience and support and so I feel you will see improvements in the coming days.
All rabbits are different in so many ways. No two are alike and sometimes getting a bond to work just takes a bit longer. I wish at times, we could speak directly to our buns and just reassure them that we are here as support and help, not to harm, and just make them understand that in our care, they are safe and won't be at risk.
Continuing to send vibes and hope the next few days are better. They are a lovley couple. x

I think definitely he did not take kindly to her having a go, especially as I’m sure while in a neutral space, he knows it’s his home. I think she’s taken the hint and not tried after the first two attempts and rare ups. Aw thank you it’s really encouraging that they look positive in the pictures, and I can tell there’s definitely something their because they do seem to like....possibly starting to love, each other.
Yes today I’ve had to equally tell of because there was a mini falling out and also Grace is determined to try and expand the space for me by biting the middle panels I’ve propped up!
Aww thank you so much for your kind words, I try my best but sometimes I do feel lost, which is why I appreciate so much having everyone here to talk to.

Today there was no humping from either bun, we had a pretty good day in all with sitting together, laying and grooming. There was just one or two occasions when dinner time was nearing, Luther got short with Grace and went at her face so again just with clapping and my voice I got it to calm again. So I think it’s progress if he can get his temper under control a bit more, he was the same with Truffle though, he gets frustrated being confined often which doesn’t help.

I’ve taken the bold decision to put a litter tray in already.....which I know is frowned upon but the wee on the floor was getting really bad and it made them really aggy being cleaned out or me fussing with bedding. They both also seem to hate mess and soiled bedding. So I’ve watched them today and they seem fine, but I’ll keep an eye out for any possessive behaviour.

Thank you so much for your kind words and help :) x

f0ddcab4611a96d0293c30dccc7502c7.jpg

899c61a1ffe403cfb47eeaa3048665a5.jpg

Clementine did this to Atticus, for agesss after they came home from bonding and they used to chase every so often, I just ignored it or distracted them with noms [emoji38]

They're very cute together btw :) x

It’s so good to hear everyone else’s experience with it, I feel much more normal now!
Yes noms come in very handy I’ve found too hehe!

Aww thank you! I feel like a match maker :p x

It’s good to get away from the side of the bonding pen too, the tension really builds up. I hope it continues to go well :thumb:

Too true! My back was killing me yesterday sitting at the kitchen table doing work all day in my laptop, the sofa today felt soooooo good haha!
Thank you :)

Back