• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Phillip

Been to visit John this morning for a checkup.
Mentioned that Phillip has been increasingly more lethargic lately. John has increased his metacam dose to the 15kg mark twice daily as he said his heart sounded a bit more echoey today and he doesn’t want him to be in pain plus the metacam will help to clear any inflammation. If that doesn’t help then it’ll be another heart scan and likely going onto the heart medication.

I mentioned that my local vet had found a cataract last month as well. John said that’s definitely something to keep an eye on and if it gets bigger they will operate. He said there is a vet in Hythe where they do the cataracts and he does the rabbit anaesthetic.

I know he’s a brilliant vet and I’m also under no illusion that Phillip will live a long life, but I do worry about him :( John looked shocked when I said he was only just 1 in November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned that Phillip has been increasingly more lethargic lately. John has increased his metacam dose to the 15kg mark twice daily as he said his heart sounded a bit more echoey today and he doesn’t want him to be in pain plus the metacam will help to clear any inflammation. If that doesn’t help then it’ll be another heart scan and likely going onto the heart medication.

I mentioned that my local vet had found a cataract last month as well. John said that’s definitely something to keep an eye on and if it gets bigger they will operate. He said there is a vet in Hythe where they do the cataracts and he does the rabbit anaesthetic.

I know he’s a brilliant vet and I’m also under no illusion that Phillip will live a long life, but I do worry about him :( John looked shocked when I said he was only just 1 in November.

Gosh, for some reason I thought Phillip was an older Rabbit. What a brave soldier he is to be coping with so much at such a young age. I hope the increased Metacam helps. Did JC mention anything about the Cataract possibly being EC related ?

Sending vibes with added tinsel for Phillip :love:

Yes he said it could be EC from his mother when she was pregnant with him. He has been through such a lot in his little life, poor thing. We rescued him when he was only 3 months old.

Obviously I want him to have a good quality life, which he does at the moment, but I’d love him to live for a few more years :(

Last edited:
Yes he said it could be EC from his mother when she was pregnant with him. He has been through such a lot in his little life, poor thing.

Obviously I want him to have a good quality life, which he does at the moment, but I’d love him to live for a few more years :(

:( :( Don't think that way, just enjoy every day and I'm sure the years will fly by. Phillip has you who will always look after him and get him whatever treatment/meds he needs. My Toby is a terrible example but all the other heart condition buns on here have lived long life's. All crossed the bridge for non heart related issues. Phillip is in the best care possible now and even if he has to go on meds I'm sure he will be fine on them. Lots of hugs

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Just thinking aloud here but I read online that heart buns can struggle with warm temperatures more than a normal bunny. Do you think the heating could make him lethargic? Toby definitely prefered it really cold

Just thinking aloud here but I read online that heart buns can struggle with warm temperatures more than a normal bunny. Do you think the heating could make him lethargic? Toby definitely prefered it really cold

That’s interesting. We do like it quite warm in our house...

Sending loads of vibes for Phillip and a Christmas (gentle) nose rub.

I hope the Metacam helps perk him up.

How are you holding up? xx

Sending loads of vibes for Phillip and a Christmas (gentle) nose rub.

I hope the Metacam helps perk him up.

How are you holding up? xx

I’m ok, thanks for asking. Feeling a bit sad but hoping Phillip has a while left in him yet.

He just booped me on the nose then licked my face so at least he’s forgiven me after the car journey :lol:

Sending loads of keep healthy vibes for handsome Phillip. I'm sure he couldn't be in better hands with you and your vet looking after him xxx

Back