• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cost of neutering a female rabbit and micro chip

Kim_w

Mama Doe
Just wondered if the price varies a lot? There is a vets for pets close to us which I am keen to go to as when I had my last rabbit he was treated by a very rabbit savvy vet (was 5 years ago so obv she might not be there)

Thats good I was thinking around the 100 mark! The rescue home said we could send them nack for neutering or they would give us £50 towards each rabbit but we dont want to take it so £65 sounds like a better price to what I thought!

I could be wrong! I know that neutering was cheaper but it definitely wasn't £100!
:) I love my vet at vets4pets too. I think as long as the vet themselves are good it doesnt matter so much that it is a chain :) x

It's £132.40 for a female at our vets - which includes "pre-operative health check, hospitalisation, anaesthetic, intra-operative multimodal analgesia, surgery and two post-operative check-ups." If you microchip at the same time as neutering, microchipping costs £15.50.

However at another vet in our area, it's £80.38 and £10 for microchip.

So yes, the prices do vary but it is important to go with a vet you're comfortable with and trust. And also look at what the price includes - will you have to pay extra for check ups?

Hope this helped you out a bit :D

I think it's over £100 at my vet for spay.
The most important thing, though, is to do your research to ensure that you find a vet experienced with rabbits.
What I would do, personally, is to post another thread ''Rabbit savvy vet needed in ..................' to see if anyone here can recommend one.

It's £132.40 for a female at our vets - which includes "pre-operative health check, hospitalisation, anaesthetic, intra-operative multimodal analgesia, surgery and two post-operative check-ups." If you microchip at the same time as neutering, microchipping costs £15.50.

However at another vet in our area, it's £80.38 and £10 for microchip.

So yes, the prices do vary but it is important to go with a vet you're comfortable with and trust. And also look at what the price includes - will you have to pay extra for check ups?

Hope this helped you out a bit :D

This exactly. I end up paying about £120 for a spay because they always keep them in overnight for the first night given I live some distance away. Spaying is quite a big operation and I want only somebody rabbit savvy to be performing it so would rather spend the extra. The spay itself and after care is about £100 without the overnight stay. Microchipping is about £15 for us too.

It's £90 at the vets I use (a vets4pets) - that's just taken from their board in reception I don't know what is included in that in the way of follow up appts etc.

Thanks all great advise. I will post in rabbit chat to see if anybody knows of a rabbit savvy vet in my area. If not do you think it would be best to send them back to the rescue to be done as the must obviously have a rabbit savvy vet they use? I can still pay or contribute but was just worried it would be more stress for them as its a 50 min journey?

I have just had a search and the vet I was thinking of still works in the surgery I was planning on going to but it says on the website that she is the vet equivelant of a gp so just does consulting so hopefully somebody will come back on my thread with suggestions.

Just wondered if the price varies a lot? There is a vets for pets close to us which I am keen to go to as when I had my last rabbit he was treated by a very rabbit savvy vet (was 5 years ago so obv she might not be there)

I should shop around. I don't go to my 'normal' vet for spays as it's far cheaper elsewhere, and I'm assured of the very best in care! :D

Back