• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bald Patch on Lionhead's neck?

Kavanne

Mama Doe
These are from earlier today:

And from just now:

There is a little bit of very fine hair in the area, very short though. As you can see it's not inflamed. I've never noticed it before but I suppose it could have been there a while?

I also posted a thread earlier about Clover's ear lopping when she had previously been one up/one down.

These are from earlier today:

And from just now:

There is a little bit of very fine hair in the area, very short though. As you can see it's not inflamed. I've never noticed it before but I suppose it could have been there a while?

I also posted a thread earlier about Clover's ear lopping when she had previously been one up/one down.

Could be that she has been scratching her self a lot. Is this Bun Clover ? If so the newly lopped ear and scratching points to ear mites.

Could be that she has been scratching her self a lot. Is this Bun Clover ? If so the newly lopped ear and scratching points to ear mites.

OK! I haven't seen her scratch at all and I've been home all day yesterday and today, but I will phone vets in the morning. I'm over that way anyway helping clean out some ARC buns! I did peer in her ear but couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. Could they be further in?

Last edited:
OK! I haven't seen her scratch at all and I've been home all day yesterday and today, but I will phone vets in the morning. I'm over that way anyway helping clean out some ARC buns! I did peer in her ear but couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. Could they be further in?

You'd need an otoscope to get a proper look

I just thought I'd reply with my two pence, but obviously if you are concerned at all about your bun seeking advice from the vet is best.

I have a lovely lionhead and she's always got baldy patches around her mane, especially on her neck at the base of her ears (just where your bunny's is located). It often isn't noticeable because of how the fur is laying, but when she periscopes I can always see it. I thought originally it was because we had to cut matts out when we brought her home from the rescue, but it's never really grown back... so I wonder if it is the way her fur parts and because that area gets rubbed a lot it just remains finely furred. She doesn't seem bothered by it. :D

My lionhead has a baldy spot just here too! Didn't improve or get worse with mites treatment so ive assumed it's a lionhead feature!

The ear lopping might be an ear mite problem though as already mentioned.

Been to the vet and cannot see anything in her ears. And not a speck of dandruff. Just advised to keep an eye on her.

Back