• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Size of home for giant rabbit

I would say a shed or large playhouse with a large (at lest 3ft high) run, or aviary.

Or for indoors free range of a big room or rooms.

I love giants, one day I want a pair of giant house buns! :love::love::love:

I would say a shed or large playhouse with a large (at lest 3ft high) run, or aviary.

Or for indoors free range of a big room or rooms.

I love giants, one day I want a pair of giant house buns! :love::love::love:

My three (soon four) are going outside into a shed, I'd love a giant inside but maybe in the distant future, they're lovely

I have a pair of giants and they have free range in my room
:) they also sometimes get a run about the landing and bathroom for some Extra binky time!

My two have a shed and run via cat flapp but always have daily free range time in the yard. We leave the back door open and they happily wander into the kitchen too.

My two have a 10x6x6 dog kennel, attached to a 12x4x4 run. They also have daily freerange time in the garden :wave:

Just my opinion, but I don't think giants should be in a hutch of any sort :(

The hutch Daniel suggests is bigger than most sheds! I would be happy with an 8x4x4 cage, though I'd imagine it would cost a fair bit :shock: as long as they also had a large run.

The hutch Daniel suggests is bigger than most sheds! I would be happy with an 8x4x4 cage, though I'd imagine it would cost a fair bit :shock: as long as they also had a large run.

Sadly a lot of people think a hutch no mater the size is not acceptable type of housing for giant breeds (or any breed of rabbits) even if the size of the hutch is larger and wider than some sheds.

To be truthful, I dislike hutches for any size rabbit although I fully appreciate that not everyone has the funds/room for sheds/playhouses/kennels etc.

For giants, although the width and depth may seem satisfactory the overall feeling of space gained by height is not there, particularly if the rabbit is confined for any length of time. But that is just my opinion and no offence intended :)

To be truthful, I dislike hutches for any size rabbit although I fully appreciate that not everyone has the funds/room for sheds/playhouses/kennels etc.

For giants, although the width and depth may seem satisfactory the overall feeling of space gained by height is not there, particularly if the rabbit is confined for any length of time. But that is just my opinion and no offence intended :)

No offence taken and your entitled to your opinion of course but aren't playhouse 4ft high?

You might be right. To be honest, I have not researched playhouses :oops: but a neighbour has a Wendy house in her garden which is really a pretty shed and I kind of thought they were all of a similar size.

Many years ago, I started off with my original rabbits and even then knew that a lot of hutches were woefully inadequate so had one built to my specification. At the time I thought it was a pretty good set up, but over the years have adapted and improved. I now have a Kennel/run and now recognise that as good as I thought my set ups were, I would never, ever go back to hutches. Rabbits are such energetic, bounding, hopping creatures and they cannot possibly do all that in a hutch.

However, I do appreciate that a hutch, in conjunction with a suitable size run, which is accessible all the time is a compromise :)

You might be right. To be honest, I have not researched playhouses :oops: but a neighbour has a Wendy house in her garden which is really a pretty shed and I kind of thought they were all of a similar size.

Many years ago, I started off with my original rabbits and even then knew that a lot of hutches were woefully inadequate so had one built to my specification. At the time I thought it was a pretty good set up, but over the years have adapted and improved. I now have a Kennel/run and now recognise that as good as I thought my set ups were, I would never, ever go back to hutches. Rabbits are such energetic, bounding, hopping creatures and they cannot possibly do all that in a hutch.

However, I do appreciate that a hutch, in conjunction with a suitable size run, which is accessible all the time is a compromise :)

Not really a compromise in this case though, Daniel said 8x4x4, which is as big if not bigger than many sheds as hele pointed out!

Am I right in thinking Daniel is the person who builds customised hutches so can build them to any height/width required?

Not really a compromise in this case though, Daniel said 8x4x4, which is as big if not bigger than many sheds as hele pointed out!

Am I right in thinking Daniel is the person who builds customised hutches so can build them to any height/width required?

Yeah, he built a 7 x 3 x 3 (I think..) hutch not long ago. Looked amazing :love:

Wendy houses are either 4 or 5ft high. I prefer my shed but even with that I bang my head on the door :lol: I just know that runs have to be 3ft+ in height, I'd have an aviary though.

Last edited:
Yeah, he built a 7 x 3 x 3 (I think..) hutch not long ago. Looked amazing :love:

Wendy houses are either 4 or 5ft high. I prefer my shed but even with that I bang my head on the door :lol: I just know that runs have to be 3ft+ in height, I'd have an aviary though.

Yes i made a standard hutch type i do at the size of 7x4x4ft, i just feel that people, retailers and manufacturers are penalized for selling hutches for giant rabbits or even rabbits for that matter instead of a shed.

Surely the length and width is more important than the height of the housing.

while Boost is a baby he has run of our room the landing bathroom and stairs and the down stairs landing and kitchen.
Oliver the mini lop thinks the space is amazing Boost thinks the bed is all the space he needs:roll::roll:

while Boost is a baby he has run of our room the landing bathroom and stairs and the down stairs landing and kitchen.
Oliver the mini lop thinks the space is amazing Boost thinks the bed is all the space he needs:roll::roll:

Benji was always really lazy when we kept him inside too. I would come home from work and find him spread out by the radiator. :lol:

Back