• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

urgent help

*tight squishes*

I tend to have a very different view about EC and head tilt than the average person on here- predominantly because I learnt it from a different source and have yet to see anything to contradict what I've been taught.

I was taught that the only time head tilt may possibly be EC is if there are other signs of active EC too. Generally, head tilt in healthy bunnies is an ear infection but you can't always see this visually, which is why it is vital to swab the down ear.

Genuinely active EC is not as common as is made out and often cases that are diagnosed as active EC are not. The majority of rabbits will test positive for EC because the majority have been exposed, but like with Pastuerella, most don't have a problem, and those that do tend to find there is a problem when the immune system is lowered and the immune system is over powered. Head tilt can occur in a rabbit with active EC as an infection as well as if there are lesions on the brain because EC lowers the immune system and makes rabbits more prone to infections. Generally, genuine active EC presents first as a 'lazy' back left leg, typically.

I've dealt with two cases of head tilt, one who had it long term when she came to me, one who was treated the day the head tilt appeared and both were treated with antibiotics and they made them better.

I would say, don't panic. Ensure you keep on with antibiotics and pain relief. Keep fighting for her and advocate for her. If you're not comfortable with something a vet says, then raise that with the vet :)

Im also very sorry about your camping trip. Rabbits have a habit of doing stuff like this at the worst time.

My Storm had something similar last year. She had a head tilt, eyes flickering, rolling and wobbling like she was drunk. It took a couple of months of Metacam, Baytril and Panacur before she was right again. But she got there, and Yuki can too. She now has a very slight head tilt that's barely noticeable. We assumed it was EC, but whatever it was, it was beatable. :)

I know it's scary, but it's not a death sentence. You're doing all you can for her. Sending lots more vibes for Yuki xx

*tight squishes*

I tend to have a very different view about EC and head tilt than the average person on here- predominantly because I learnt it from a different source and have yet to see anything to contradict what I've been taught.

I was taught that the only time head tilt may possibly be EC is if there are other signs of active EC too. Generally, head tilt in healthy bunnies is an ear infection but you can't always see this visually, which is why it is vital to swab the down ear.

Genuinely active EC is not as common as is made out and often cases that are diagnosed as active EC are not. The majority of rabbits will test positive for EC because the majority have been exposed, but like with Pastuerella, most don't have a problem, and those that do tend to find there is a problem when the immune system is lowered and the immune system is over powered. Head tilt can occur in a rabbit with active EC as an infection as well as if there are lesions on the brain because EC lowers the immune system and makes rabbits more prone to infections. Generally, genuine active EC presents first as a 'lazy' back left leg, typically.

I've dealt with two cases of head tilt, one who had it long term when she came to me, one who was treated the day the head tilt appeared and both were treated with antibiotics and they made them better.

I would say, don't panic. Ensure you keep on with antibiotics and pain relief. Keep fighting for her and advocate for her. If you're not comfortable with something a vet says, then raise that with the vet :)

they said to start the antibiotics they gave her in a few days as he gave her some there....

he didnt swab her ears but he did look inside them

her left leg is wandering a bit at the moment but i dont know if thats a balance thing or not

Last edited:
Hun, do not worry about 'letting people down'. You know the situation me and Scott were in with Sora's liver lobe torsion last August. We just adopted the attitude of '**** them, our pet comes first' and she did. Fortunately we didn't encounter any negative attitudes like you seem to ne having :(

You also know I've had a bun who had repeated head tilt/EC. It's a terrifying ordeal, and I have to warn you that things may appear to get worse before they get better. At first Lily was just doing the head & eyes thing, then she got worse and could barely stand up without falling over, before she very slowly but surely recovered. The best advice I can give you is that you have to stay strong, despite how upsetting the situation may become, and always remember that while it looks horrific and the situation may appear hopeless that she will gradually start to improve. Stay strong enough to sort her out first with her cocktail of medicines, give her cuddles and love and make sure she feels secure, and then leave the room to deal with your own emotions. It's so hard, but it's important not to let her see or hear you upset.

She may have difficulty eating and drinking if her head tilt gets bad. If that happens, syringe water and try and find food that's easy for her to grab. We found 'long but soft' things like carrot tops and soft hay to be the best things as they were easier for her to eat than pellets and shorter hay.

You know I'm only on the other end of the phone/email/MSN if you need me *hugs*

Last edited:
well i went 2 the vets in middleton with my rabbit(r.i.p baby she had 2 be pts today) name
Jackson & Nuttall
171 Manchester New Rd
Middleton
Manchester
Lancashire
M24 1DE
0161 643 3097 try this but you can't find a parking stop

Hun, do not worry about 'letting people down'. You know the situation me and Scott were in with Sora's liver lobe torsion last August. We just adopted the attitude of '**** them, our pet comes first' and she did. Fortunately we didn't encounter any negative attitudes like you seem to ne having :(

You also know I've had a bun who had repeated head tilt/EC. It's a terrifying ordeal, and I have to warn you that things may appear to get worse before they get better. At first Lily was just doing the head & eyes thing, then she got worse and could barely stand up without falling over, before she very slowly but surely recovered. The best advice I can give you is that you have to stay strong, despite how upsetting the situation may become, and always remember that while it looks horrific and the situation may appear hopeless that she will gradually start to improve. Stay strong enough to sort her out first with her cocktail of medicines, give her cuddles and love and make sure she feels secure, and then leave the room to deal with your own emotions. It's so hard, but it's important not to let her see or hear you upset.

She may have difficulty eating and drinking if her head tilt gets bad. If that happens, syringe water and try and find food that's easy for her to grab. We found 'long but soft' things like carrot tops and soft hay to be the best things as they were easier for her to eat than pellets and shorter hay.

You know I'm only on the other end of the phone/email/MSN if you need me *hugs*

thank you

the ec test results get back friday I hate that I have to wait a week worrying.........

if it is ec yuri has it too.....

if its any infection yuri has it

bit worried as I felt yuris nose and its wet no discharge or anything but it was slightly damp is that something to worry about?

thank you

the ec test results get back friday I hate that I have to wait a week worrying.........

if it is ec yuri has it too.....

if its any infection yuri has it

bit worried as I felt yuris nose and its wet no discharge or anything but it was slightly damp is that something to worry about?

I really wouldn't worry too much about Yuri. If you want to Panacur then that's fine but the majority of bunnies carry it without ever showing any symptoms and the studies only show that Panacur is effective if given at the time the rabbits are exposed- the rest of guess work or hope, maybe. So he may well test positive for it anyway and have had it since birth.

I also wouldn't worry about the infection risk to Yuri either. I don't imagine there would be much risk of him catching it, the same way that if a person has an ear infection, others don't get it. Both my girls with head tilt were bonded and none of their bondmates ever showed any problem, even the very depleted Badger and very cancer ridden Summer.

does anyone know if this vets is rabbit savvy

http://www.lawrencevets.co.uk/index.shtml

they dealt with yuki when she had a head tilt and eye thing last time... they found it to be an ear infection as her ears were swallon this happened a year ago

I ask because thats the vets that are 5 mins from my oh parents house and were moving in with them soon

If she had an ear infection before one might suspect it has reoccured because normally it takes so many months of meds to beat them, but some vets don't necessarily treat long enough. It could also be a sign that she is run down in some other way.

Swabbing the down ear would be a good thing to do to see if anything comes up, even if it's not visible to the naked eye (because many infections that cause head tilt are not visible on examination).

I don't know anything about those vets, sorry.

I'd forgotten that she'd had something similar before (was before I knew you properly) it could be a relapse of the same thing. Lily had it 3 times in a year, the second time wasn't as bad as the first. Fingers crossed that she doesn't suffer so badly with it, but if it is indeed the same thing then take hope that you've got through it before.

It might be worth passing the old vet's details onto your new vet, they may be able to provide useful details and info from last year.

I'd forgotten that she'd had something similar before (was before I knew you properly) it could be a relapse of the same thing. Lily had it 3 times in a year, the second time wasn't as bad as the first. Fingers crossed that she doesn't suffer so badly with it, but if it is indeed the same thing then take hope that you've got through it before.

It might be worth passing the old vet's details onto your new vet, they may be able to provide useful details and info from last year.

yeah I hope so

I have done I gave them both the old manchester vets and the one in notts

wish they would have done the ear swab though >_<

Feeling for you :( sounds very similar to Mischa's head tilt. I'm now convinced it was an ear infection. he had Baytril, Panacur and metacam as well as steroid injections which I think stifled the effects of the Baytril and his own immune system cos as soon as they were stopped he started getting better. It's very difficult when you aren't sure of your vet, this was our old one and before I had any idea of how to care for rabbits. But we got through it cos Mischa is a fighter and im sure Yuki is too :)

Feeling for you :( sounds very similar to Mischa's head tilt. I'm now convinced it was an ear infection. he had Baytril, Panacur and metacam as well as steroid injections which I think stifled the effects of the Baytril and his own immune system cos as soon as they were stopped he started getting better. It's very difficult when you aren't sure of your vet, this was our old one and before I had any idea of how to care for rabbits. But we got through it cos Mischa is a fighter and im sure Yuki is too :)

thank you

she is shes dealt with alot bless her...

I just am finding it hard to cope with at the moment as its just been one thing after another...

I am going to be constantly worried about her

Sending hugs and vibes.

I'm up in Manchester right now. Depending on where you are I could come over and be all friend like. :) (Of if you feel able to leave you could come and meet Grim and Smoo.) :)

Sending hugs and vibes.

I'm up in Manchester right now. Depending on where you are I could come over and be all friend like. :) (Of if you feel able to leave you could come and meet Grim and Smoo.) :)

thank you

I may take you up on that depending on how I feel thank you

yuki lapped up the metcam but it was a fight to get her to take the panacur

head tilt is getting worse but as tigerangel has said its going to get worse before it gets better

I am anxiously awaiting the results I hate that i have to wait till friday.....

Hopefully by tomorrow she will have started to improve- it only took two days after the antibios were given before both of mine started to improve and one had had her tilt untreated for at least 10 weeks prior to coming to me. It will depend on the antibio obviously, but hopefully as soon as it's in her system it will start to work. If you're not seeing an improvement by Friday then maybe ask for something that is likely to be more effective- I'm guessing you have Baytril (don't know anything else that is injectable and then can be continued orally)?

Hopefully by tomorrow she will have started to improve- it only took two days after the antibios were given before both of mine started to improve and one had had her tilt untreated for at least 10 weeks prior to coming to me. It will depend on the antibio obviously, but hopefully as soon as it's in her system it will start to work. If you're not seeing an improvement by Friday then maybe ask for something that is likely to be more effective- I'm guessing you have Baytril (don't know anything else that is injectable and then can be continued orally)?

She was given an antibio, metacam and panacur at the vets he said the antibio that lasts 2-3 days and I was sent home with panacur, metacam and marbocyl

we are to start the marbocyl tomorrow.

panacur and metacam was started today

*nods* you're carrying on the course. Never tried Marbocyl so don't know how effective it is against something like this, but I do hope that she starts picking up by tomorrow.

Back