• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please Help! Julie is in GI Stasis.Update:Julie is back in stasis

Sorry just read your thread whilst looking for some help and advice as I have a poorly little girl, Sandie. I'm glad Julie has recovered, you seem just like us sleeping by them through the night. I've taken Sandie to the vets today as she was off her food, not pooping and can't get comfortable. She's been given metacam, zantac syrup and critical care which I've managed to give her but she's so uncomfortable and keeps moving around trying different positions. Did Julie seem restless and uncomfortable? I'm absolutely frantic at the moment and feel helpless. Did you rub your buns tum? The thing is the vet said it could be stasis or a blockage so I'm not really sure what it is we're dealing with. Sandie's got to go back in at 9am tomorrow if there's no improvement so I'm just praying she'll be ok. Will be sleeping on the floor tonight by the looks of it. xx :cry::cry::cry:

I am so sorry to hear about Sandie. It is the scariest thing. Julie was and is now again somewhat restless. She seems to only want to stay in the laundry room mostly is one spot but does shift around a lot. She puts her chin flat on the floor and looks pathetic/depressed. I hope that Sandie gets better soon.

These buns are so worrying. Hope Julie is ok. Sandie keeps lying in one spot but moves around frequently, still can't get comfortable. It's going to be a long night and I feel so helpless. Thinking of you both xx :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Julie will get up when I bring in more herbs like she is really hungry and take one bite kinda freeze then start scratching the floor wildly and lie back down. Does anyone know what this means? She is also lying with her bump slightly raised off the floor. Does that mean anything? I am still waiting for the vet to call me back.

I'm really sorry to hear you are having a difficult time with Julie, and that she has been poorly. I dont know what advice to give you so will just send some vibes.

I always liken when they do the sniff but back-off with the food thing, that the food smells appetising but then they remember that their tummy is off - like if I have a tummy ache or feel sicky, I might not eat all day but I will still get hungry, and the smell of food will be nice but then the thought of eating it is too much.

Not very scientific but it kind of makes sense to me. Sorry if thats not helpful. Get well soon Julie x

PS No idea about the bum being off the floor - trying to relieve pressure on tum? I dont know :(

I'm really sorry to hear you are having a difficult time with Julie, and that she has been poorly. I dont know what advice to give you so will just send some vibes.

I always liken when they do the sniff but back-off with the food thing, that the food smells appetising but then they remember that their tummy is off - like if I have a tummy ache or feel sicky, I might not eat all day but I will still get hungry, and the smell of food will be nice but then the thought of eating it is too much.

Not very scientific but it kind of makes sense to me. Sorry if thats not helpful. Get well soon Julie x

PS No idea about the bum being off the floor - trying to relieve pressure on tum? I dont know :(

Thanks, that does make sense. Even this morning and Saturday when it first started she would still come to see what we had. We just did a critical syringe feeding. We got the most in her yet. Figured out the best way is for the OH to hold her and me to feed. She is a strong girl and fights like mad. She has taken to flinging any of the food on her paws onto the walls and everywhere. She had been licking it off her paws.

I talked to the vet this evening. She said all Julie's test were all normal. I didn't even realize how many different things that she tested her for. She is in good health. She thinks that she must of ingested too much fur and it just slowed down her gut. She doesn't think that she has a fur ball as she didn't feel anything but said if she doesn't improve she will do a belly X ray. She wants to give her a little more time. If there is no poops or pee by mid morning we are to bring her back for another injection of the gut stimulant as the injection works better than the oral alone and she will need more fluids. She said to syringe water though and try to trick her into eating some other greens besides just the herbs. We gave a good size pile of the herbs and sneaked in some baby greens in between and she ate some before she figured it out. She actually ate with a bit of gusto tonight. She said the tensing and scratching is most likely belly cramping. There has not been a single poo or pee all day. She is sleeping with her head in a pile of greens.

Oh dear :cry:

Could the Vet do an abdominal ultrasound. It is worrying that she has not passed and urine or feces.

What tests has the Vet do so far ?

Oh dear :cry:

Could the Vet do an abdominal ultrasound. It is worrying that she has not passed and urine or feces.

What tests has the Vet do so far ?

Actually I was to bring her back up mid morning for a belly X ray if there was no improvement but she is doing really great now again. She pooped a lot and peed a river. She is eating greens now and nibbling on hay. She is to continue on the gut stimulant for 36 hours after she is 100% and on the bunny probiotics for 5 days at least. She might stay on a regular dose of the probiotics. The vet thinks she ingested more fur than normal as she is molting. She said the extra fur can slow down the gut. I pray that this is the end of it and she is all better. She is alert and more active. She still will not leave the laundry room except to use the litter box. I have been sleeping on the floor with her in a sleeping bag and she did sleep with me part of the night nudging for nose rubs. She still has my bed pillow and is using it. :lol: She jumps up whenever I go in there to see what food I have and for nose rubs.

Glad to hear Julie is feeling better. Sandie is better than she was but still hasn't pooped although she has peed and is eating hay. We've tried her with herbs but she's not interested. She was doing that strange scratching the floor then lying down with her stomach sort of sideways, then she would get up and turn around and do the same again. She went to the vets this morning who was pleased with her as she had improved from yesterday and we were told just to continue with the meds. Tonight she hasn't bothered with any food so I'm keeping a close eye on her, especially as she hasn't passed any cecals/pellets. Looks like another night on the floor with the buns! xx :wave::wave:

Glad to hear Julie is feeling better. Sandie is better than she was but still hasn't pooped although she has peed and is eating hay. We've tried her with herbs but she's not interested. She was doing that strange scratching the floor then lying down with her stomach sort of sideways, then she would get up and turn around and do the same again. She went to the vets this morning who was pleased with her as she had improved from yesterday and we were told just to continue with the meds. Tonight she hasn't bothered with any food so I'm keeping a close eye on her, especially as she hasn't passed any cecals/pellets. Looks like another night on the floor with the buns! xx :wave::wave:

I am glad that Sandie is feeling a little better. Julie is eating more and more but still not 100% herself. She is staying in the laundry room. She basically normally lives in the kitchen but for some reason wants to be in the laundry room when she isn't feeling well so we helped her set up camp in there.
Her tummy is gurgling still. I have been sitting with her holding a small bowl of the probiotics to be sure she drinks it all. The OH whistled and whistled to get her to join us for dinner. We whistle or call dinner and she normally eats with us. Well she eats her greens then lies under the table and butts our feet with her nose and gets her head under the feet or scratches feet until we pet her with our feet. She finally came out of the laundry room and had a few bites of cilantro then went back and I brought the rest to her and she ate it. We will syringe the gut med shortly and the rest of the probiotics.q I napped with her for about 20 minutes before dinner. She nudged me to nose rub which I did but I fell asleep and woke to her whiskers tickling my face and her licking my nose

I am glad that Sandie is feeling a little better. Julie is eating more and more but still not 100% herself. She is staying in the laundry room. She basically normally lives in the kitchen but for some reason wants to be in the laundry room when she isn't feeling well so we helped her set up camp in there.
Her tummy is gurgling still. I have been sitting with her holding a small bowl of the probiotics to be sure she drinks it all. The OH whistled and whistled to get her to join us for dinner. We whistle or call dinner and she normally eats with us. Well she eats her greens then lies under the table and butts our feet with her nose and gets her head under the feet or scratches feet until we pet her with our feet. She finally came out of the laundry room and had a few bites of cilantro then went back and I brought the rest to her and she ate it. We will syringe the gut med shortly and the rest of the probiotics.q I napped with her for about 20 minutes before dinner. She nudged me to nose rub which I did but I fell asleep and woke to her whiskers tickling my face and her licking my nose

That is so sweet! :love:

Hope she is soon back to 100% :)

Glad Julie does seem improved somewhat and sending vibes for her to recover fully soon. Sandie's tummy was very hard again early hours of this morning and no evidence of going to the toilet yet. My daughter and I make sure Sandie's having her meds and in herself she seems stronger yet we're still worried about the toilet situation. If no improvement today it's back to the vets as I'm sure they could give her a gut stimulant vaccine. It doesn't help that I fell from top to bottom of the stairs yesterday and can hardly move my right arm and have hurt my coccyx. I chipped the cocccyx when I was 13, many moons ago, and so this is just great making it more difficult to give Sandie her meds, it's so annoying. Keep me posted on Julie, xx :wave::wave:

I missed this thread
:oops:

Hope that she gets better. My Bobby always runs to the bathroom when she is poorly, strange isn't it?/

Boy, round the clock rabbit nursing sure does take a lot out of you. She left the laundry room around 2 am so I went to the couch then which is right on the other side of the half wall that she was lying against. I still woke up every couple hours and gave her a bowl of water soaked greens. I have not seen her drink much water. She never finished the second round of probiotics. I saw on line that it also comes in a paste but they are slightly different. The paste stimulates appetite and the powder hydration. If she starts taking them regular I will ask the vet about the paste........but she normally drinks lots of water so............I think that I an babbling. I am such a zombie. She ate a bowl of greens at 4 am but hasn't eaten much from the last bowl. She is mad now as we gave her the gut med. She has the soft smeary poos. I just moped the floor and gave her herbs in the greens and need to go to the store to buy more greens. They are all gone. I am sooooooooooooooo tired....can't function. I am going to eat breakfast and have tea now. She is nibbling hay in her cage and seems pretty alert. She was following me around before I syringed the med.

Glad Julie does seem improved somewhat and sending vibes for her to recover fully soon. Sandie's tummy was very hard again early hours of this morning and no evidence of going to the toilet yet. My daughter and I make sure Sandie's having her meds and in herself she seems stronger yet we're still worried about the toilet situation. If no improvement today it's back to the vets as I'm sure they could give her a gut stimulant vaccine. It doesn't help that I fell from top to bottom of the stairs yesterday and can hardly move my right arm and have hurt my coccyx. I chipped the cocccyx when I was 13, many moons ago, and so this is just great making it more difficult to give Sandie her meds, it's so annoying. Keep me posted on Julie, xx :wave::wave:

You sure are having a very rough time. I hope that you and Sandie feel better very soon. Julie's vet did say that the gut stimulant injection does work better than the oral. She has 2 injections and is taking the oral and will continue taking it 36 hours after she is 100%. Her vet thinks that will prevent this from happening again like last time. She was only better for a day.

I know just how you feel, both my daughter and myself are so tired yet can't sleep thinking about Sandie. Fortunately today she has managed to leave us some little presents in her tray thank goodness. She's been eating hay and small amount of food and herbs. Tonight she seemed much more herself and her tum was nice and soft so I'm hoping she's going in the right direction. I bet you're relieved that Julie seems better, it's so worrying isn't it. We lost Sandie's mom in January from what we think was the same problem but she just went down so quickly even though we took her to an emergency vet at 5am, but he said there was nothing wrong with her! We've now found a lovely rabbit savvy vet and travel 1 hour to get to her but that is worth doing, she also does Belle's dental every month without the need for GA (Belle is Sandie's dad) which takes away a lot of worry. It's nice to know that they can come through these problems. Lots of vibes for Julie's continued good health and try and get some rest yourself. xx :wave::love:

Julie's vet is almost an hour away on a good day too. She really stresses on the trip and at the vet. She has been acting like 90 % better then not so good again all day. She moved back into the laundry room mid morning but came out this evening about an hour ago and is in her cage nibbling hay. She only ate herbs and a small amount of greens most of the day only if I hand fed each piece and encouraged. She loves nose rubs and does seem really alert for longer periods. She hasn't had any normal poos though just soft mushy or hard teeny tiny ones.

I hope that Julie and Sandie are both 100% in the morning.

Back