• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Muesli?

Bunni_xx

Mama Doe
I feed my buns muesli every day, and they love it. They hated excel, so i changed to muesli, is this bad?????? Thank you x

i mix some pellets with a little muesli and my rabbits are very healthy as long as you dont give them to much and give them plenty of hay

Most muesli based foods are made up of sweet sugarry bits and then flakey stuff.

Buns selectively feed often when on 'muesli' based feeds, so its best to ensure they are on a pelletted feed, most people would say :wave:

Something like Science Selective or something along those lines.

If yuo do change, do it gradually over a space of ~2weeks, so go say 90% muesli, 10% pellets, same for 2 days, then change etc.

Mine hated pellets when they first tried them. Mischa was especially stubborn but once he realised he wasn't going to get the muesli (after gradually changing the amounts over a few weeks) he tried them and now he goes crazy for them.

I feed museli and my buns are happy and healthy, the oldest at the moment is 7.
If, as is said, a rabbit can live on a hay and veg diet, and if, as said, they should only get an eggcup full I can see no problem with feeding museli. Mine empty their bowl because they only get a small amount and even if they selectively feed I can't see it being a huge problem if they can get what they need from hay and veg.
I would almost guarantee this study was on rabbits fed only on pellets or museli, with no access to hay, obviously in that case there is a chance they would selectively feed on the museli.:)

I don't think there's anything wrong with muesli so long as you're feeding the right amounts and the buns are eating it all.

Have you looked at the nutritional content? Just be sure the one you're using isn't too high in sugar (compare it to pellet foods to get an idea). Rabbit royale is a very good muesli type food :)

Mine all get muesli, they eat everything in it.

C&C eat tons of hay and veg too, but no matter which type/brand of hay I buy, M&M never touch it..ever!! :?
They do both eat veg tho :thumb:

Obviously each rabbit owner is going to have a different opinion so I will give mine- I feel that a pellet type food is much better as it is a complete food and are nornally much higher in fibre which is essential for rabbits.
As Graham said a lot of the museli mixs are made up of non nutritional bits like seeds and grains which are not all tgat good for rabbits and actually quite hard to digest.

Obviously each rabbit owner is going to have a different opinion so I will give mine- I feel that a pellet type food is much better as it is a complete food and are nornally much higher in fibre which is essential for rabbits.
As Graham said a lot of the museli mixs are made up of non nutritional bits like seeds and grains which are not all tgat good for rabbits and actually quite hard to digest.

If rabbits get plenty of hay I don't see high fibre being an issue- the hay gives them plenty.

Mine all get muesli, they eat everything in it.

C&C eat tons of hay and veg too, but no matter which type/brand of hay I buy, M&M never touch it..ever!! :?
They do both eat veg tho :thumb:

:( Sadly eating veg doesn't get them using the grinding action they need to keep their teeth in check as hay/grass does. Have you tried reducing how much you're feeding them a little :wave:

My 3 bunnies have SS pellets with just a tiny sprinkling of muesli (Wagg Bunny Brunch), lots of hay and veg. All 3 seem to do well on this and always empty their bowls as they only get a small amount of pellets and muesli.

My bunnies are both on museli and theyre fine.
Lilly my female is a right fussy mare and she wont touch pellets at all, she will scatter them over the floor so she gets fresh.
Billy was eating pellets when i rescued him and got him home, after a week he refused to touch pellet food and now eats museli.
Both rabbits empty their bowls and are healthy on it so you have nothing to worry about.

Back