• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

minimum size hutch

Hey,

I couldnt find anywhere that said, so sorry if this is a common question! Whats the minimum size of a hutch for two average sized rabbits?

Im sure i remember something about 4'x2'x? but im not sure.

Thank you!

Hey,

I couldnt find anywhere that said, so sorry if this is a common question! Whats the minimum size of a hutch for two average sized rabbits?

Thank you!

The commonly held minimum for a small to medium pair of rabbits is 6x2x2 with an attached run. Most good rescues will not rehome to less than this (unless there are particular circumstances) - for example a much bigger run.

Some rescues require more and some don't seem to have any minimum requirments to rehome their rabbits at all :cry:

I talk in rescues because the pet trade have no interest in producing a minimum size hutch and so they don't suggest a size at all.

The more space the better

a 4x2x2 hutch would not be accptable as all day accommodation as rabbits would not be able to exercise freely (unless they had a secure run for all weather use, that was attached and was on hard standing).

There are welfare organisations who recommend 6x2x2 as well, but sadly there is no law about it.

Hey,

Thank you!

Hello...

Thinking of expanding into rabbits now?!

xxx

P.s. I'm Beckie2040 on FR forum lol

No. The OP is a member of another forum I use for other animals and I'm assuming it's just an honest question whether for herself or giving someone else advice.

Ok, fair enough!

OP, a shed is the best house for rabbits, as they have plenty of space (buns are very active!) and are safe from preditors, and are warm and dry. A shed can actually work out cheaper than a good quality hutch too. :)

Wow! I must have been Guinea-pig hutches that where 4 foot? Thank you :D

@Beckie20 - :wave: Im looking into the possibility of building a hutch and run for 2 rabbits, well I say me but my dad as I would probably saw of my arm! We are looking into looking after some rabbits when people go away but I want to do it right.

@Hoppit! - No troll :D Just working out the requirements for rabbits. :)

I'll post pictures once its done :D So far its in the planning stages but we are looking into building a hutch which is 6x2x2, with another on top with a partition to make it 3x2x2 incase of guinea's. But also holes that can be sealed off to make it one whole cage. And then ofcourse the Pen, which we are working on.

Does this sound okay?

Thank you :D On that website is the preferred the generally measurements?

It must have been 4 foot, for a pair. Ill go and brainstorm, and visit the guinea forum :lol:

The minimum measurements are the minimum measurements for females. The preferred measurements are the minimum measurements for males (males tend to have more dominance issues so require more space). As the saying goes though, "bigger is always better." :D

Hello! Definitely the bigger the better - we're currently in the process of building our bunnies' outdoor accommodation - it will be a full height 4x4ft shed with a full height 9x5ft run. :)

Regarding piggies - our pair (neutered boars) have an indoor cage that is almost 6ft long and they don't exactly look small in it and they use every inch.

If you've never had rabbits or piggies' before I'd concentrate on just the bunnies' for now tbh and if you have the space maybe think about piggies in the future. I wouldn't be building something that could 'just about' cater for both. If you have the space to have a nice big space for the rabbits or a minimum sized space for rabbits and a small-to-medium sized space for piggies I'd just go with a large sized accommodation for the rabbits.

A 3ft hutch is far too small for piggies and if it was me I would want a minimum of 5ft for them.

It's always best to get the biggest you can to start with as it ends up being more expensive to get something you will only end up wanting to enlarge - as you may well already know if you have ratties! ;) x

I'm on FR too and am Hanlou pretty much everywhere lol. :p

It's always best to get the biggest you can to start with as it ends up being more expensive to get something you will only end up wanting to enlarge - as you may well already know if you have ratties! ;) x

I'm on FR too and am Hanlou pretty much everywhere lol. :p

How true is that lol :lol:

I'm Beckie2040 everywhere too, except here... And I have no idea why I didn't put the 40 on the end when I registered :? Obviously there was a good reason for it, I'm just not sure what that is yet...

xxx

How true is that lol :lol:

I'm Beckie2040 everywhere too, except here... And I have no idea why I didn't put the 40 on the end when I registered :? Obviously there was a good reason for it, I'm just not sure what that is yet...

xxx

Oh I've spent sooo much on cages for various animals I've ended up replacing because they weren't big enough / access wasn't good enough etc! :lol:

I*think* am now pretty much content with all my small animal cages though am hoping to enlarge the piggies' cage once the buns' move out which will free up some space for the bigger gerbil tank I intend to have....... oh ok am never satisfied and am always making plans for bigger and better! :oops:;)

Oh I've spent sooo much on cages for various animals I've ended up replacing because they weren't big enough / access wasn't good enough etc! :lol:

I*think* am now pretty much content with all my small animal cages though am hoping to enlarge the piggies' cage once the buns' move out which will free up some space for the bigger gerbil tank I intend to have....... oh ok am never satisfied and am always making plans for bigger and better! :oops:;)

Lol! I honestly wish I'd thought of joining forums before I bought my previous rabbit hutch and rat cage, although I might not have got my degree if I had lol.

I can't believe I wasted £80 on a Jenny, and then 6 months later got the explorer for £140. But my old rabbit hutch does now house my ferrets so that wasn't a complete waste, and I plan to somehow attach that to my old, old (1 year old :oops:) hutch, to give them more space...

It truly never ends!

xxx

Lol! I honestly wish I'd thought of joining forums before I bought my previous rabbit hutch and rat cage, although I might not have got my degree if I had lol.

I can't believe I wasted £80 on a Jenny, and then 6 months later got the explorer for £140. But my old rabbit hutch does now house my ferrets so that wasn't a complete waste, and I plan to somehow attach that to my old, old (1 year old :oops:) hutch, to give them more space...

It truly never ends!

xxx
sorry to be totally off point but how do you manage having ferrets and rabbits? I adore ferrets and if I'm honest I wanted them much more than rabbits but the OH would only go for the bunnies. I really want to get some now but I worry that I'd smell of the ferrets and that would stress out the buns and that the smell of the rabbits would wind up the ferrets.

Back