• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

something not right with my Buzz

spudsmummy

Warren Scout
hi there
i have just been out to feed my buns and buzz was very quiet, not the normal running round my feet when he knew i had food.
i picked him up and gave him a quick check over everything seems ok but he is not eating anything. i have put buzz in the run part of the hutch and left jessie in the pen, they can still see each other, i have left food for both of them and jessies has eaten hers up but Buzz has not touched his, he is just sitting in the corner not doing anything.
HELP!!! please what can i do???:cry:

I am afraid, you need to take him to the vets NOW! It sounds like Gut Status which if left untreated can be fatal.
Please get him to the vets as soon as you possibly can.

Definitely get him to the vets. Clover has been like this a couple of times, and was in Stasis with no gut sounds. Quick treatment is needed.

I agree, you need a vet. Ring your normal number for your vet and they should give details of an out of hours service. You will need to ring them.

Lots of vibes,

FC x

your vets will be covered by an emergency vet. hope your bunny feels better once youve got him checked out :(

Honestly do not delay, he needs to see a vet tonight, I dont want to scare you but tomorrow may be too late :cry:

As others have said - call the usual vet no. and take down the details for their emergency referral and ring them tonight - right away. Good luck x

I have called vets just waiting for a phone call back, how long should i wait before i phone again, its seems to be taking for ever!!

ok back from vets

he has had 3 injections, pain relief, something for his guts and something to make him eat. not sure what though, the vet was not forth coming with info. Also got a packet of critial care. i have managed to get about a seringe full into him. Is that enough??? is it ok to put the bowl in the hutch and let them both eat it??

he seem a bit brighter so fingers crossed please.

ok back from vets

he has had 3 injections, pain relief, something for his guts and something to make him eat. not sure what though, the vet was not forth coming with info. Also got a packet of critial care. i have managed to get about a seringe full into him. Is that enough??? is it ok to put the bowl in the hutch and let them both eat it??

he seem a bit brighter so fingers crossed please.

If you're not sure about anything the vet said phone and ask for more details - it's so much to take in in one go.

Leave lots of tempting nibbles - herbs are good if you have any available. Did the vet tell you how often to do the syringe feeding. Has he eaten anything by himself yet?

so glad you managed to see someone. I agree it is a lot to take in, don't be afraid to ring them if you need any more info.

hi there

He has lapped some up off the spoon but not eating anything else as off yet. I have put him back out side with Jessie as he was getting rather warm sat on me inside. I think i will go out and try feed him some more then put the rest of the bowl in the hutch.
They didnt say how offten just follow on the packet and that says devided into 4-6 meals a day. they did say to take him to my vets asap to get his teeth checked properly so i will phone them in the morning and see what they say.

anything else i can give him??

xx

I was told small feeds (couple of mls) as frequently as possible, as late into the night as possible, starting again early in the morning. Keep the bunny as warm as possible - I'm sure you have lots of bedding in for then anyway :)

Clover didn't like the syringe feeding, so I wiped some on his face and paws and he ate it as he cleaned himself.

Best to get him to your regular vets tomorrow for a check up. They'll hopefully explain things better to you.

Keep us updated!

try getting wet veg into him if hell eat it. i find parsley is great for getting Alvin eating when he goes on hunger strike.

hopefully the meds will kick in soon and he will start to feel loads better.

good luck with getting some sleep yourself xxx

hi there

He has lapped some up off the spoon but not eating anything else as off yet. I have put him back out side with Jessie as he was getting rather warm sat on me inside. I think i will go out and try feed him some more then put the rest of the bowl in the hutch.
They didnt say how offten just follow on the packet and that says devided into 4-6 meals a day. they did say to take him to my vets asap to get his teeth checked properly so i will phone them in the morning and see what they say.

anything else i can give him??

xx

You could try wetting his pellets, try baby food if you have any, just surround him with hay and his favourite foods! When Castiel wasn't eating after his neuter you couldn't see the rabbit for all the food I had around him!

Back