• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

pets at home

they didnt know as i was going to put him outside and we had a really bad weather so i brought him and decided to keep him inside after that thats why i at to let him run around like i did in the pic because he didnt have enough room

Well, if you have concerns about the way in which he was sold to you, I suggest you contact the store with your concerns or write to Head office.

but even so the person who sold me the rabbit should have told me the size the rabbit could get to and even better sell me the right hutch for him im not ever dealing with them again

but even so the person who sold me the rabbit should have told me the size the rabbit could get to and even better sell me the right hutch for him im not ever dealing with them again

I quite agree. You should have been given the full facts and they should never have allowed you to buy a dwarf lop (as believed it should be) with that hutch. However I would also suggest that you should have done your research before looking to buy a rabbit.

As I said previously, if you're concerned with the way you were dealt with, then contact someone at head office.

I quite agree. You should have been given the full facts and they should never have allowed you to buy a dwarf lop (as believed it should be) with that hutch. However I would also suggest that you should have done your research before looking to buy a rabbit.

As I said previously, if you're concerned with the way you were dealt with, then contact someone at head office.

That is a very good point. It is wrong that some retailers give out incorrect information to potential customers about sizes of hutches, costs of keeping the pet, i.e. neutering, vaccinations etc. However, the person who buys a pet has responsibility to know about the needs of the animal they intend to look after BEFORE getting it. If it's an impulse buy, surely you can ask the shop to hold the animal, while you check out the facts then make a decision.

I don't work for a pet shop or have any connection with retailers etc., but just like to see both sides of an argument.

That is a very good point. It is wrong that some retailers give out incorrect information to potential customers about sizes of hutches, costs of keeping the pet, i.e. neutering, vaccinations etc. However, the person who buys a pet has responsibility to know about the needs of the animal they intend to look after BEFORE getting it. If it's an impulse buy, surely you can ask the shop to hold the animal, while you check out the facts then make a decision.

I don't work for a pet shop or have any connection with retailers etc., but just like to see both sides of an argument.

I agree; before I got my first buns I did about a years worth of research first - that was age 12/13.

I'm starting to look into chickens now but wont be getting any for a year or two - I just like to be prepared :lol:

I don't think it matters whether the rabbit is called dwarf or what name the breed has - I agree with the above statement that the pet shop should have sold the appropriate size of hutch when selling it with the rabbit.

It's my opinion that any pet shop selling animals should have the knowledge or experience regarding the needs of the animal. True, the buyer should have done some research but someone buying both pet and cage/tank/hutch is probably inexperienced in keeping said animal (if they are buying a 'starter kit') so the knowledge of the seller is something the buyer should be able to rely on for assistance/guidance.

:D Beautiful bunny by the way. :love:

PAH won't hold their rabbits... I had a MASSIVE problem getting mine. I offered to pay there and then but they said it wasn't possible. I had planned to go home, order thistle hall on express delivery (as it wouldn't fit in my car) then collect the bunny the next day. In the end I bought one from a garden centre then begrudgingly drove back for Paddington.

I agree that people should definitely do research on animals before they buy, but some misguided people may think that they will be given good information when going to a store like p@h :roll:

It's only when someone calls a rescue about getting another, talks to an experienced rabbit person , goes to a vet, or starts to look somewhere like RU that they realise they have been misinformed.

Many years ago, I brought a female rabbit from p@h. I had my first from a rescue but there were no other rescues in the area I knew of, and I did spend ages looking. Very begrudgingly I went to p@h to buy my girl (this was before I was really aware of how bad rabbit rescue was, but I did try first for a rescue :lol:). I wasn't asked about what hutch I was going to use, who she was going with or anything and things realy don't seem to have moved on since then.:cry:

Before certain people jump in and say 'not all the same', no I expect they aren't, but the bad ones seem to outweigh the good ones. ANy stores giving out rubbish information and selling tiny hutches should be admonished. To have a handful of good stores is not ok and it seems to me the only reason that is so, is because the people responsible have a private interest in rabbits. It doesn't seem to come from their training.

Willow was a dwarf Lop at Pets@Home and she's the biggest rabbit I own! :lol: Mind you I knew that dwarf lops aren't actually small, I bought her as it was love at first sight more than for her breed. I have just got myself a nine week old mini rex, Willow looks even bigger next to her! :lol::lol::lol:

PAH won't hold their rabbits... I had a MASSIVE problem getting mine. I offered to pay there and then but they said it wasn't possible. I had planned to go home, order thistle hall on express delivery (as it wouldn't fit in my car) then collect the bunny the next day. In the end I bought one from a garden centre then begrudgingly drove back for Paddington.

Pets at home cant legally hold purchased rabbits, nor hold rabbits intended to be purchase. They are not allowed to look after an animal that does not belong to them That would be a breach of the pet shop license i.e. breaking the law. To enable pet shops to be able to hold any animal requires a boarding license like a boarding kennels would have. I wonder how many pet shops who DO reserve animals have the correct license to do so?

Pets at home cant legally hold purchased rabbits, nor hold rabbits intended to be purchase. They are not allowed to look after an animal that does not belong to them That would be a breach of the pet shop license i.e. breaking the law. To enable pet shops to be able to hold any animal requires a boarding license like a boarding kennels would have. I wonder how many pet shops who DO reserve animals have the correct license to do so?
Interesting 'cos when I started reading this reply I thought "the Garden Centre near me always has reserved signs on their very young buns" .... I have previously reported them to the Environmental Health only to be told that they (the Garden Centre) follow the guidelines laid out by the Pet Care Trust (a caring sounding name for an organisation run by the Pet Shops themselves :roll:)

Last edited:
Pets at home have very young buns in at the mo, id put money on them not being 8 weeks :evil:

Also i went in there yesturday, they had a very overweight bun in the adoption centre, it was lying down, it had huge clumps of poo all round its bum :shock::shock: i mean it was a huge build up, clipper job!!! I marched straight over to a member of staff and they said it had only come in that morning and he hadnt noticed :roll: i said well its now 4.30pm that would have been the first thing i would have done!!!! They must not have even checked the bun over and how they could miss the smell is beyond me.

There were people looking in on the bun and i thought that is such a bad advertisment on how to look after your bun, surely the poor thing should be kept out back until its sorted! Im going back today to investigate, i was tempted to get the bun out of there to be honest.

Pets at home have very young buns in at the mo, id put money on them not being 8 weeks :evil:

Also i went in there yesturday, they had a very overweight bun in the adoption centre, it was lying down, it had huge clumps of poo all round its bum :shock::shock: i mean it was a huge build up, clipper job!!! I marched straight over to a member of staff and they said it had only come in that morning and he hadnt noticed :roll: i said well its now 4.30pm that would have been the first thing i would have done!!!! They must not have even checked the bun over and how they could miss the smell is beyond me.

There were people looking in on the bun and i thought that is such a bad advertisment on how to look after your bun, surely the poor thing should be kept out back until its sorted! Im going back today to investigate, i was tempted to get the bun out of there to be honest.

I saw the bun in the glass bit yesterday, midday, and alerted them to the it's bum..obviously to now avail ...that adoption centre is such a horrid looking thing :( The bunnies look so miserable I wouldn't be surprised that people won't adopt them. There used to be a really caring memeber of staff there, who was training to be a vet nurse and knew loads about buns, since she's gone, the bunny care has gone downhill. I only go in there to check out the buns and complain if required. :roll: They have an attitude of 'second best' to the adopted buns :(

Does anyone know at which branches of Pets at Home the adoption centres are at, I would be interested in having a look?
My nearest shop is Redhill and I often get the rabbits bits in there, I have never seen any animals for adoption there though, is it only certain branches? I have had a look on their website and can't see anything on there either?

Back