• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying

MollyMay

Warren Scout
Hi

I took my rabbits in this morning to be spayed and neutered, i phoned the vet up about an hour ago, to see how they were. The vet said they were up and about, but my female had a tricky operation, they could not find all her bits, because they were under developed, they took everything away though. She is 6 months old, i thought she woul be old enough at 6 months to be spayed.
Anyway i am really worried about her, is there anything i can do to make her more comfortable when she gets home.

Last edited:
hi, are you planning to have her in overnight tonight? this will help as it means you can keep an eye on her. You need to make sure that they both eat and drink within about 2 hours of getting home; rabbits need to graze to keep their guts moving. Maybe have a snugglesafe or hot water bottle wrapped in a towel for them in case they feel the cold. ummm, oh the eating thing, make sure you have lots of tasty treats to tempt them, i have always found baby food to be a good one after operations, it's easier for them to eat and if you buy a sweet one they love it! my half wild bun lived on hipps baby pear pudding for about a week as she refused to eat anything else when she lost an eye! It was good because I could syringe feed it. Try to keep them separate -if they are normally together -so you can see who poo's. also gives them space to recover and keep an eye on any external stitches.
hope they feel better soon, but the eating and poohing is the most important thing, if they don't eat and pooh they can go into stasis and end up very poorly!
good luck x Jess

Hi

I took my rabbits in this morning to be spayed and neutered, i phoned the vet up about an hour ago, to see how they were. The vet said they were up and about, but my female had a tricky operation, they could not find all her bits, because they were under developed, they took everything away though. She is 6 months old, i thought she woul be old enough at 6 months to be spayed.
Anyway i am really worried about her, is there anything i can do to make her more comfortable when she gets home.

Well I guess your Vet had trouble locating all of the ovarian tissue. I think at 6 months it is unusual for there to be a problem
I would ensure your Buns have a warm quite environment in which to recover. I would also ask your Vet about additional pain relief for your Doe as it sounds as though her op' may have been 'fiddly' and she may be quite sore once the GA has worn off.
Some tempting Veg/Dandelion leaves/grass and a bowl of water need to be provided.
Both Buns should have poo'd. wee'd and started to nibble food by late tonight.

I hope both Buns are soon fully recovered

Janex :)

Thanks

Yes I will be keeping her in tonight, and untill she is 100% we have a cage all ready, for her with lots of hay.
I had my other female spayed a few months ago, and the vet gave me some painkillers which I will probably get this time to.
They are a very good vets i have real faith in them, they only deal with Cats and Rabbits, which is really rare, in this day and age.
Its such a worrying time when you have your babies spayed or neutered. I have been worried sick all day.

I picked my babies up last night, I had a chat with my vet, and she said that my female, Wendy, had a tricky operation, apparently her ovaries and that were not developed, they had not grown as they should of done, at a rabbit of her age, they were still very small. Which is a bit worrying.
Has anyone else had this problem??
She is eating hay, and i gave her a bowl of Excel, last night and this morning and she has eaten all that, which is the main thing, the vet also gave me some painkillers incase she is suffering. She is very quiet which is understandable.

Awww - hope she's OK soon - I have no idea about the ovary thing except it must just be a genetic quirk of hers.

Hi glad she has eaten well! That's excellent news. Just keep an eye on how much she eats for the next few days and check the stitches too. Glad she is ok x Jess

Back