• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

fat belly?

kimd6200

Banned
hi all,i know your going to get sick of me asking questions but i checked on buns earlier and gave charlie a hug(thumper wont come near me!)and noticed hes got quite a fat belly.its not hard,more like a balloon if you know what i mean?:? :oops: xcould i be overfeeding him or could it be bloat?dont know what bloats like though?he gets a bowl full of pellets everyday.still eating drinking.doing loads of binkys in my frontroom.so cute!xxx

Well what breed is he? One bowl full of pellets I would consider a bit much for a small-medium sized rabbit (well depending on how big the bowl is) so I give my dwarf (2 kg) one handfull of pellets each day and my rexes (around 3 kg) about 2 handfulls.

I give my bun enough pellets to just cover the bottom of his bowl, so I think yours might be getting a bit much.

just cheked him again n his belly is realy round!he looks miserable too.what are the signs of bloat/.how can it be treated?x

If your bunny has bloat, then he probably won't be wanting to move too much. ^^ And he'd most likely be off his food, and sitting hunched in a corner. Some bunnies don't like to be touched. I think they stop passing any sort of poo, too. Bloat is very painful, though, and this is why it needs treating by a vet, because bunnies don't cope very well with pain. You could keep an eye on him, and watch his behaviour? Try him with favourite foods and stuff? If he continues to look miserable and does not eat/poo, then a trip to the vets might be needed, as bloat can be fatal.

he sits in his bed box alot but if i get him out he runs around playing.still eating n pooing ok.ill keep an eye on him.if he gets any worse ill take him the vets.hes happily munching on a dandilion leaf at the mo.x

Keep checking his stomach. If it gets any bigger or hard, I'd get straight to the vets. If he stops eating/pooing or sit hunched up he may need a painkiller too.

right ok.its squidgy at the minute.might bring him in the house see how he goes on.thanks.is there anything i can give him?ive heard people mention infacol but not what for?:? xxx

infacol helps if they have a windy tummy. If your bunny is still eating and pooing as normal then i doubt he has bloat. When mine have had it the first thing i know about it is that they ignore all their food, sometimes they hunch up in a corner other times they stretch out. I encourage them to drink more water, give them some mushed pellets with warm (pre-boiled) water via a syringe if they stop eating for long too

Back