• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit has started biting

sretosf

Warren Scout
My male rabbit has started biting - one minute he's sat on my lap licking me - the next he tries to burrow into me and then bites!

He's in for the op tomorrow - do you think this will solve the problem?

Probably, although it won't happen overnight, and he might even get more delinquent for a few weeks as their hormones get all haywire at first.

Usually they bite because they want you to move - is he trying to get you off the chair maybe so he can sit there? :shock:

I wouldnt worry, my nethie used to, not bite but nip when he wanted me to shift and move my arms, he then still come back for nose rubs

Probably, although it won't happen overnight, and he might even get more delinquent for a few weeks as their hormones get all haywire at first.

Usually they bite because they want you to move - is he trying to get you off the chair maybe so he can sit there? :shock:

I'm not sure what he wants - he's fine one minute, the next he tries burrowing into me and bites, and then he's back to licking me!

To be fair he's couped up in a hutch in the house. Now he's had his myxi and VHD jabs, once he's over the op he and his sister can go out in the playhouse with massive run attached. Hopefully that will allow him to expend his energy in the hutch rather than on me!

Are you sure he's biting and not nipping...?

And to answer the question...neutering alone possably won't do it. Charms fully neutered but he was like that when I managed to make him feel strong enough after his starvation period (poor bunny rescue) but a little bit of disciplin and now he very rarely lunges for me in his cage or nips me when he's on my lap.

Yeah that would be nipping and nothing to worry about neutering and a bit of discipline should let him know not to. Like make a shreek (he'll see this as you being in pain and it will deter him in future). I made a tiny scream and said No Charm and wouldn't pet him again for a minute. He soon stopped.

If it was a bite you'd know about it. I still have a purple scar from my bite months and months ago :p

Back