• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stopping biting- without inducing fear

Floofbunny

Young Bun
Hi,

But if context- I finally after many tries got a rex rabbit again. Was allowed to take a taxi for the first time. This took me outside of a 20 mile radius and an expensive round trip later led to my mini rex!

She is a generally nervy bun. She has settled amazingly with me (unfortunately only me) the almost two months I've had her. She'd be about 5 months now.
She's terrified of any random noise, or any people who aren't me. She will hide behind me for safety and when she couldn't, she decided the safest option was to sit on too of my chest (I was led on the floor). It's heartwarming that she's sees me as her safety blanket.

But she's started getting upset over stupid things and She bites. I don't want this to be reinforced or become the norm.
I have contact dermatitis and could do without any new cuts and gloves can upset them more.

just wanted to say I don't show fear or pull away when bit. I know that can show it "works" to them. So I'm not reinforcing it thankfully.

I originally was told to push their head down gently but firm. This has worked with other rabbits but has done the reverse with her. My hand anywhere near her head causes aggression. I believe due to her perceiving it as pre-confrontation. I don't want this.

So a list of no go solutions are below-

1. No head pushing
(Removes bonding progress, thinks hand=meaness)

2. No spaying
(I'd love too, but parents say no, I've tried changing minds but their strong in their no)

3. No water bottle squirting
(Forced to live outside, parents again. Will catch chill in cold weather.)

4. Can't fake squeal
(My asthma stops high pitched noises a lot)

So I need a gentler but obvious solution.

I was thinking-
Ignoring. But will she just continue?
Saying no firmly. But she's not a person?
"Feet" stamping.

Any ideas that won't cause issues but stop biting.

Thank you

Last edited:
Spaying is the only realistic solution. You Doe is displaying normal hormonal Doe behaviour. It isn’t ‘bad’ or ‘naughty’.

If she has already learned that biting gets her what she wants then even spaying won’t guarantee the biting resolves completely. The longer the hormone driven behaviour goes on the less likely it is that it will ever resolve.

I hope your parents will read the link Shimmer posted. Not spaying your Doe puts her long term health at very high risk :cry:

More info about aggression/ biting

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/behaviour/aggression-rabbits/

http://www.therabbithouse.com/behaviour/problem-aggressive-rabbit.asp

And I highly recommend this book to help you to really understand Rabbit Behaviour

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behavioural-Problems-Rabbits-Clinical-Approach/dp/1789180120

It sounds like hormonal behaviour from an adolescent rabbit. The obvious answer is to get her spayed - both for her own long-term health (around 80% of entire does have uterine cancer by age 4 years), and for yours. Why are your parents against it? Can you give them some information on the benefits?

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/medical/neutering/

Already told them all the benefits. It was a struggle to get them vaccinated. They just don't want me spending a lot of money on them.

Already told them all the benefits. It was a struggle to get them vaccinated. They just don't want me spending a lot of money on them.

It's a shame they allowed you to get rabbits without being prepared to do what is essential health care for them. Are you old enough to have your own money to get her spayed yourself?

It's a shame they allowed you to get rabbits without being prepared to do what is essential health care for them. Are you old enough to have your own money to get her spayed yourself?

I work but they control big spends I do. So I am physically unable to do it. Also I don't drive.

I'm autistic and rely on my rabbits heavily. They see spaying as unnecessary (they don't vaccinate the dogs after puppyhood).

Their reason is that rabbits have been around for years without spaying and people just want you to spend money. That they will be fine and that they kept rabbits without spaying. Or that I'm wasting money.

It doesn't matter if it true or not, it's just their mind set. I only got to vaccinate after my last ones died of rhd.

My step mum vouched for me to get vaccines. but is refusing to allow spaying.
No one is on my side with this. Old way of stubbornness, like not getting any vet treatment.
I've tried to change their minds.

Last edited:
Back