• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding problems - 2 months now - advice please!

Vee

New Kit
Hello, this is my first post tho I've been reading several of the bonding discussions and now really need some advice on my 2 as just not sure what to do next.

Penny is our resident house bunny, neutered female, 4 years old. She seemed happy as a single bunny but I suppose I wanted it to be even better for her since I'd read so much about rabbits enjoying a companion. The RSPCA reassured me it was never too late to try so we brought home Smokey, 3 year old neutered (tho only recently) male, and he lived separately but alongside her for 3 weeks. She was a bit indignant and pawed the Berlin wall a few times but seemed to get used to him being alongside OK and they came out for separate runs OK.

Then we started some introductions. Neutral territory elsewhere in the house, food on the floor, and it wasn't awful in that there weren't any big fights but Penny would clearly nip him most of the time he came close. I tried getting through this stage by having longer sessions, different times, 2different places, stroking her, not stroking her, all sorts of strategies. I tried just letting her nip him but it would seem to escalate and a big fight start to break out so I'd have to intervene. Some sessions were fairly peaceable and I'd think we were getting somewhere but I've never got to a point of feeling I could leave them to it. We've had a couple of biggish fights so I'm worried about the memory thing but they've then gone back to just her nipping him fairly continuously.

Since there didn't seem to be much progress, I started working with them both in the big lounge they've been living in for the last 2 months. That seemed more promising but if anything, he seems to be getting more territorial and bolshie although perhaps he's just fed up of getting nipped every time he gets close.

Am I just not being patient enough or does this sound like one of those matches not destined to work? They really have had a lot of time together in all (I'm at home most of the time) but are showing no signs of getting to like each other. I'm worried I'm doing it all wrong and this is no good for either of them although they seem content enough in their separate homes and when they come out to play separately. Any advice gratefully received!

V

I would say once they are together dont keep splitting them up, if there is no terrible fights, you have to start over each time you put them together:D you are undoing what you did the time before, by doing this

Good luck

Last edited:
I've got 2 single bunnies living next to each other, who come out for seperate runs a couple of times a day. They really seem happy and content to be on neighbourly terms, so don't worry if this it how it ends up with your 2 - it's still better for them to have another rabbit around, kind of family for them. Obviously I can't give you better bonding advice than what you've already tried, as you're better at it than I am :lol:

Thanks Ali and Elve for your replies - it does help to feel there are sympathetic people out there!
Ali - I understand your point about don't keep splitting them up as it undoes everything again but surely you have to separate them if they start a big fight? We did occasionally manage a few hours but never seemed able to leave them without biting eventually leading to fighting.

I always do gradual introduction as I have nowhere to just leave them on neutral territory. I just leave them together in our bathroom until I feel they are going to fight or until they actually fight, then I split them up immediately and put them back into their cages. Gradually, it takes longer and longer until they start fighting until they are totally comfortable together. Then I do the same again on their own territory. Only once they are comfortable like that, they are housed together.

This gradual introduction process takes a lot longer, but I feel it is less stressful on the bunnies and doesn't result in continuous fights and bad feelings.

So in your case, I would just go on as you have, but as soon as you see any aggression, put them back into their cages and try again later or the next day. You'll get there eventually! Indeed it took about 2 months with one of my pairs as the female was very stroppy, now they have been together for about two years and absolutely love each other (though the female is still the boss :D ) and there are never any fights.

Vera

This gives me hope again! While you're in this process, do you still let them have any individual run time or do you only let them out together?

Thanks for the help.

Thanks Ali and Elve for your replies - it does help to feel there are sympathetic people out there!
Ali - I understand your point about don't keep splitting them up as it undoes everything again but surely you have to separate them if they start a big fight? We did occasionally manage a few hours but never seemed able to leave them without biting eventually leading to fighting.

I have always just separated them for a few minutes, moved things around in the room i.e repositioned cardboard boxes etc to create different obstacles to distract their attention.

Nicola

Back