• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baytril Fun

FurryBeasties

Young Bun
I'm currently trying to get baytrill down my Rosie twice a day. My vet said to give her the 0.65ml baytril then give her around 2ml of water afterwards. So far we can get her to swallow the bayril (though she doesn't like it - current plans are to add a bit of ribena tonight to see if that helps) but she just lets the water pool in her mouth the squirt out even if i give her breaks between. I can easily get her to eat afterwards and i can see her swallowing the baytril so is the water neccesary. I think we'd both be less stressed if i didn't have to try and get so much down her at least.

Thanks for the advice

Jem

I have never been told go give water after that :?

If she wont take it or spits it out cant you let it soak in a few pellets and she might take it that way?

Not sure about the water bit either. If you dilute the baytril with Ribeana it should go down a treat (but you may have a pink bunny for a while).

I was always told to dilute the baytril I gave with water but it all goes int he syringe. Inky used to hold it in his mouth and then spit it into my face (that was when I could get it into him, the rest of the times he bit me and ran)!

I found that putting it on carrot tops or parsley works well or mix it with recovery formula.

I've had to point out to my vets that it says on the packet to dilute baytril :rolleyes: It can cause stomach ulcers undiluted, especially if they're not eating. Why not dilute it with some ribena/water and soak a bit of wholemeal bread in it? Or better yet mush up a few pellets when she's really hungry first thing in the morning (a splash of boiling water, soak, mash with fork) and mix it into that with some apple juice or ribena?

Surely it makes sense to dilute it in the syringe? Cant see the point of flushing it down after :?

Personally I put it on SS pellets and let it soak in a bit before i give it to them, or put it on some celery and hold it while they eat it, works every time.

i squeeze the required amount of baytril onto a piece of pineapple...she gobbles it right up. I put the pineapple in the pellet bowl in case any of the baytril runs off.

Back